Simplify part of picture improvements

Comments

6 comments

Colin Grant

You can, in Luminar, mask out (or in) areas of a picture thus refining the parts impacted by the edit. Read up on masking, each filter has the capability.

Comment actions Permalink
    Joe Amberg

...I cannot find a wand etc. to really select within seconds an entire sky...

Colin Grant

Nor will you but there is a masking brush and gradients to  work with. If you just run around applying filers across the entire photo you are bound to get sub-standard results. Yes, the masking is somewhat crude but it does a reasonable enough job, as evidenced by some of the images on the internet. You will not however find powerful masking tools like in ON1 and Adobe, which is a shame. I think Skylum view the future as AI. The jury is still out I guess but headway is clearly being made.

Joe Amberg

Thanks a lot Colin. Indeed, the selection functions are so poor that it makes no sense to work with masks within Luminar. No chance to do pixel exact selections. It is much simpler to do masking afterwards in a real photo editor. What I also learned: to prevent Luminar from destroying skies in panoramas, it is much better to treat single pictures with Luminar first and combine them aftwerwards with a sticher. All the best, Joe

Colin Grant

They are not up to the standard of some, I agree, but they are not so poor as to be useless. Look at what Jim Nix and others achieve. Pixel perfect is not always necessary for general editing and we must not forget that Luminar is an editor not a pixel level manipulator like Ps. Cannot offer comment on panoramas as personally I hate the things. If you need to use Luminar at pixel level then maybe using it via Ps Smart Objects is the way. I have not tried it extensively as I do not find I need that level of control very often. One thing is certain, though, Luminar is not and does not pretend to be an alternative to Ps and the like. It is just another Nik Collection but done in a different way.

Joe Amberg

Mountain landscape panoramas: as Luminar is systematically destroying skies in stiched panoramas, I have to protect the skies. Typically, horizon and sky has to be separated pixel exact, every thing else would look terrible... it is as simple as that.

Please sign in to leave a comment.