Comments

15 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi Everyone!

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We have already fixed the issue, please update the app via Luminar 3 > Check for updates. 

In case you still face this issue updating Luminar 3 please try reinstalling Luminar in the following way:

We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

• Download AppCleaner from here (click this text to open link).
    • Install AppCleaner and start it.
    • Drag Luminar from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.
    • Once you've uninstalled Luminar, restart your Mac and download a fresh version of Luminar from the link below: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg
    • In case you receive the error message “You do not have sufficient permission to the specified folder” please simply click [OK] and finish the installation.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eduardo Mueses

I was able to install by downloading the installation package from https://skylum.com/account/my-software. There seems to be an issue with the permissions on Catalina.

Shane Keller

Downloading the Software does not work either. 

Eduardo Mueses

Just Hit OK, it will ask you to point to your Applications Folder and it will finish the installation.

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

Please, check this post: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006385539

Also, please, try using an alternate installer: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

Helena Carter

Eduardo, by the way, thanks for your advice.

For everyone encountering the issues, please, firstly download the installer from the link provided by me or from your Skylum account, then, when you receive an error message saying that you don't have sufficient permission, hit OK, it will ask you to point to your Applications Folder and it will finish the installation.

(all credits to Eduardo Mueses)

Eduardo Mueses

Thanks @Helena Carter, I believe it will also work if on the Destination Screen we hit the "Change" link and point to the Applications Folder, in the Finder Window.

Kim Austin

@Helena  I didn't get a "sufficient permissions" error -- just this!!  I'm tired of you guys being unable to provide the correct updates.  This is not the first time, and it won't be the last - because Skylum!

Dave Smith

I downloaded the DMG file that Helena pointed to. It is the Luminar version 3.1.3. It indicates there is an update to 3.1.4. I get the same error when I attempt to update with that as before. Not helpful.

Peter Gladstein

I'm dating myself but Skylum Support = Keystone Cops

Steve Ratts

As Dave indicated above, the link is useless. It will only get you a copy of Luminar 3.1.3, and not Luminar 3.1.4. Sooo... You can't get the update by clicking Check for Updates in 3.1.3. You'll just waste your time and get teh Update Error! dialog shown above. And the backup link they provide is useless too. Contrast this with the superbly easy way that On1 2020 was released today...

Peter is also right, Skylum are the Keystone Cops. I'm reasonably certain they couldn't poor water out of a boot if you told them the instructions were on the heel!

Shane Keller

Solution FOR THE MAC:

1. Download the update directly here: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

2. Click Install

3. When you get the error: "You do not have sufficient permission to the specified folder" click OK.

4. Select the Applications folder and click OK.

5. It should just install after that.

p.s. This appears to be a macOS Catalina problem - not a Skylum problem. The issue persists with other applications too. Apple released the most buggy major update I have seen in years. 

Peter Gladstein

"p.s. This appears to be a macOS Catalina problem - not a Skylum problem."

So two questions

1) Did your QA test the download?

2) If you did test it then why would you release?

One more time ... Skylum = Keystone Cops

One more thing - I have updated several apps to Catalina without issue.

Kim Austin

@Shane Keller

"p.s. This appears to be a macOS Catalina problem - not a Skylum problem."

That may well be so, but I am not running Catalina, I'm still on High Sierra.  So, I wouldn't necessarily blame Apple just yet.

That's an easy cop out.

Shane Keller

Hi @Kim Auston and @Peter Gladstein

As I noted, this issue is happening with other applications since I upgraded to Catalina. The problem never existed with Mojave and Catalina has caused a number of apps to have similar issues including "Backup and Sync from Google," "Office 365," and a few others.

@Peter Gladstein

You somehow have me confused with someone who works at Skylum. How would I be responsible for releasing the software when I am a customer just like you. 

The intent is to help other users get the update working, which is the point of the community. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.