Luminar 4 upgrade for users having bought Luminar 3 this year?

Comments

18 comments

Steven Boudreault

Hi Kate,

Can you tell us the support lifecyle policy of the current Luminar Version 3 please? When will it end?

Will it receive support for the new mirror less cameras that got out this year like the Fujifilm X-T30?

Or does the release of Luminar V4 means the end support for the V3?

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy M

Hi Anastasia,

What about the fact that when I bought Luminar 3, it was very clearly advertised that it would include ALL releases to the end of 2019? It was heavily implied that Luminar 4 would not release until after 2019, and, if it did, Luminar 3 owners would get the upgrades.

This is bait and switch mis-selling.

Guy M

Hi Anna,

October is certainly not the end of 2019, though, is it? It was advertised that Luminar 3 would include ALL updates until the END of 2019 and that no new Luminar would be released in that time.

Further, it was advertised there would be real-time JPEG+Raw switching, this has not come. It was advertised that there would be search based on text, name, exif, etc, yet this has not come. And it was advertised that there would be a versions feature, where you could have many versions of one image. This also has not come.

All these amount to false advertising and bait and switch marketing, unless you can confirm they are all coming.

If not, how do I get a refund for Luminar 3? The support e-mail has been unresponsive on this issue.

Scott Masterton

It seems like Guy has made some fair points I will be interested to see what Skylum have to say on this.

I really like Luminar Flex and am keen to continue to support Skylum but I have what I would describe as a serious lack of trust towards Skylum for various reasons, some of which Guy has touched on. 

I also really struggle to understand what is going on with Luminar 4.... I mean where on earth do you pay in advance for a product that you don't know enough about, haven't been able to test, is full of promises that may or may not materialise (particular given that previous promises have been unfulfilled)?

Oh, wait a minute there is such a place and it's called Kickstarter or Indiegogo... basically what you are doing is crowdfunding for the development of Luminar4... what gives? 

Steven Boudreault

@kate williams, thank you for the special offer Kate, but the budget for this year was spent on Luminar 3 and no more $$$ will be assigned for the next 12 to 24 months, which is usually the lifecycle support of the majority of software companies.

I admit that i was expecting to get 12 to 24 months of  "Active" support for Luminar 3. "Active" meaning that major updates would be included. Instead i understand that it would more likely be maintenance and security updates for Luminar 3, and only for a couple of months, because let's face it...you will probably not support 2 versions of Luminar for very long :- (

I decided to give a try to Luminar this year, instead of subscribing to the Adobe lightroom cloud. The yearly 100$+ was not very tempting to me, even if it meant an always up to date version, major features included from Adobe. The Luminar option seemed more interesting then.

But i now wonder, if we must pay yearly for all the major updates, Luminar 4 2019, Luminar 5 in 2020, and eventually Luminar 6 in 2021, it sound like a subscription plan to me  We might think twice and have a second look at the cloud offer from the leader in the market instead of Luminar.

For the moment, i still use my Adobe Lightroom, because the Fujifilm X-t30 support is still not in Luminar and my old Lightroom Desktop version received support for it lately from Adobe.

Guy M

Hi Kate,

RAW + JPEG live switching, as advertised, is not implemented. You cannot switch between the versions simply at all. You can display both or either, but swapping between the two is not an option that I can see. This is what was advertised.

There is also no photo versioning, which I also pointed out in my post. - i.e., where you can have several versions of a photo. Is that now not coming?

You also ignored Skylum's statement that people purchasing V3 would receive all releases made in 2019, which is not happening, as we aren't getting V4.

So, again, if you could advise how I can get a refund for these features that were promised but aren't being delivered, that would be great.

Leah Burgess

Seriously after all the problems we had with Luminar 3 we should be getting a free upgrade to version 4 and telling people Oct is end of year sounds like something Del Boy from only fools and horses would say. People are still having issues with version 3!

Guy M

Honestly, Skylum should be giving refunds due to features not being present that were advertised. At best, it's breach of contract, which warrants some form of refund, partial or otherwise. At worst, it's bait and switch marketing, which is illegal.

There are a number of features, outlined above, which are not (and likely will not become) present. This is enough to warrant refunds. Yet Skylum refuse to do so.

Luminar 3 is a joke. It has some nice features, but crashes all the time, adjust RAW files without you asking it to, is slow is all heck, and is so bug-ridden it's unreal.

Skylum are clearly in the business of releasing unfinished software, having people pay for it, then doing the same thing year on year despite customers' protests. They did it with Luminar 2018 --> Luminar 3, and they are doing it with Luminar 3 --> Luminar 4. This is a TERRIBLE way to run a company and release software and will only disenfranchise people.

Get ready for the stock "contact support about your issues" and "we will continue to provide updates to Luminar 3 in to 2020" responses...

Scott Masterton

Skylum, that link leads to a page not found... do you have a valid link?

Anastasia Davis

@Scott Sorry, the link got corrupted somehow. Everything should be fine now - I have edited it.

Elena Blum

Hi @Guy M @Leah Burges

Indeed, we kindly ask you to contact our support team https://skylum.com/support , so we can take a deeper look at your issue.

Leah Burgess

I got it sorted after a number of days looking at opps messages after an update, wasting time editing registry, cleaning out files only to be given a different installation file that finally worked. A lot of people asked for refunds because of that and expecting people to fork out more money for a "new and improved" version .... not doing yourself any favors. 

Elena Blum

@Leah Burgess

Our team makes every effort to help you with any issues in the shortest way possible.

Kate Williams

Hi Steven,

While the updates to the current version are free, the upgrades (i.e. new software) are paid ones. As Luminar 4 is a brand-new app, it will be a paid upgrade but for a special price for the current owners.

We're always meeting our artists halfway, so, please, feel free to contact us at https://skylum.com/support for special offers. We will figure something out for you. 

Anna V

Hi Guy, 

It is October which is considered to be almost the end of the year. 

We are still going to release the free updates for Luminar 3. 

The upgrade to Luminar 4 hasn't been released yet and it is completely optional. 

Kate Williams

Hi,

Please note that several Luminar 3 updates will come in 2020 as well. Search tool and IPTC editing, new camera support, new camera, and lens profiles will be added to Luminar 3 for free even after Luminar 4 release. 

RAW+JPEG feature has already been added to Luminar 3. 

Moreover, we'll be offering a 30-day money-back guarantee for Luminar 4, so you'll be able to test the application and if you're unhappy with it, request a refund within 30 days after the release (November 18). 

Kate Williams

Hi, 

As for virtual copies - this functionality is currently in our backlog, but there's no ETA for its implementation for now. 

Again, let me please reiterate that the releases related to the current version will be available in 2019 and 2020 for free. However, new applications have always been paid, as it's the case with Luminar 4.

To submit a refund request, please, reach out to us at https://skylum.com/support 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Steven! We will continue to support Luminar 3 in terms of performance and compatibility. You can check the roadmap here:

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Please sign in to leave a comment.