MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

146 comments

Dan Worland

So I have to ask Elena, Skylum still sells software it doesn’t support? (Intensify). Isn’t that like Microsoft trying to still sell Windows XP? That would be nuts right? Yet Skylum does it?

Comment actions Permalink
    Kyle Wagaman

Hi Elena,

Per Apple's App Store Review Guidelines, 2.4.5 viii, "Apps should run on the currently shipping OS."

To continue selling Intensify on the Mac App Store with compatibility notes of "macOS 10.9 or later" when Skylum doesn't intend to update it to run on macOS Catalina is both unethical and running afoul of Apple's guidelines.

Helena Carter

Thanks so much for your feedback, we have passed it to the person in charge so such confusion won't happen again.

Bowman Gray

Anything yet on Aurora HDR all versions or Luminar Flex? Your lack of updates and responding to YOUR CUSTOMERS is really something... 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Boman,

We'll be releasing updates for Aurora HDR and Luminar Flex for Catalina compatibility by the end of the year. Thanks for your patience!

Dan Worland

End of the year!!! I guess you are busy releasing luminar 4 that won’t work till you release luminar 5. This is one reason I got refunded my preorder. They don’t support raw files that canon uses since March of 2018. Now dragging their feet on Catalonia. What makes anybody think luminar will work? I’ve moved on, you might consider doing the same.

Mr.E

Replacing the Skies... Ha, there’s something else that needs replacing, for something that works with Catalina!

Jim Devlin

So, I think I have found the root cause.

To be clear, this is in relation to the Luminar 3 issue on Mac OS Catalina where images added to folders do not show up in the Library view (i.e. newly added folders with many photos in them show "0" photos). The photos do show up in the "Recently added" folder but not in the Luminar Library folder related to the Finder folder holding the actual photo files. 

Before I looked into this, I ensured I followed these instructions (https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400/comments/360000856000) to delete the existing version of Luminar and install afresh.I still had the issue. I am running Luminar 3.1.4

To test the issue, I did the below

• I added a new empty folder called "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2".
    • I launched Luminar 3 and "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2" showed up in the Library under "Folder" with 0 photos in it, as expected
    • I quit Luminar 3
    • I added 6 photos to "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2" in Finder: one of them was called D61_6156.NEF
    • I launched Luminar 3 but "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2" still had a count of 0
    • I quit Luminar 3

Then, I opened the Luminar.luminar catalog file (my only catalog file) in a SQLite explorer program and observed the following anomalies / 

• The "paths" folder has two records related to "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2". Paths record #32 was tied to volume #2 (from the volumes table) and paths record #33 was tied to volume #3
    • All the existing (pre-Catalina) folders in the paths table had one record each tied to Volume #2
    • All the 6 new photos I just added (including D61_6156.NEF) appeared in the paths_images table and were tied to paths record #33 (i.e. the duplicate folder entry tied to volume #3). These are the only 6 photos not showing up in their folders within Luminar
    • In the volumes table, volume #2 (the working one) is tied to disk1s1 and volume #3 (there broken one) is tied to disk1s5
    • The context on MacOS is that disk1s5 was added in Catalina (didn't exist before) and stores only the core OS. It is not writeable when the OS is launched in normal mode. All data is still stored in disk1s1. Pre-Catalina, the OS and data were all stored in disk1s1

The conclusion is that something in the logic which detects what Volume new files are added on is buggy. This creates a new volume record, and associates everything to that. But the logic for displaying photos in Folders works correctly (i.e. ignores any photos which the database claims were added in disk1s5 but which aren't actually on that volume).

Just to check this, I took a copy of my catalog file, then edited it to correct all of the above (i.e. re-pointed the paths_images records to the correct record form the paths table, then deleted the duplicate and incorrect paths record, then deleted the incorrect volumes record). When I launched Luminar, all the photos showed up as they were supposed to.

Kate Williams

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing your insights. 

Our team has sorted out the issue and will be rolling out the fix for Luminar 3 soon. Stay tuned! 

Mick Garratt

So Intensity CK is no longer supported. Really disappointing that.

So, do I "upgrade" to this magic Luminar 3, which no doubt has a limited life as it will too become a "legacy app"?

Or jump to Luminar 4?

Judging by this fiasco Skylum's customer service and support is not the best.

Decisions, decisions.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative?

Anastasia Davis

@Mick Please note that Intensify CK is quite an old app. We are focused on Luminar and it will not become a legacy app.

Luminar 4 is the latest version available, it will be released tomorrow.

Dan Worland

Mick Garratt, Try Capture One. It’s free for 30 days. So stable, the software is fast and supports Newer Canon models (CR3 raw files). I haven’t had one crash (Luminar normal) and when using sliders you don’t have to stop and sip your drink while waiting for it to react. It’s cataloging is far superior then Luminar also. Good luck...

Mick Garratt

Thanks Dan and Bowman, quick responses. I'll certainly be looking at these options.

Colin Grant

The price of Capture One might well frighten the life out of you. Give L4 a go via the free trial. I am no fan of the way Skylum have behaved or L3 but L4 is running ok on my Mac in stand alone mode and is also working great as a Lr plugin. Yes it is different but I am getting used to that. It is not perfect but it gives good results and I have used it all day without a crash. 

Daniel Cox

I installed Luminar 4 on my Mac and it is working fine. The new interface and grouping of tools is a big improvement. I wish the metadata was better but for $49 upgrade price it is very good and meets my photo editing needs.

Markus Ullius

Mick Garratt, I switched to Capture One Pro this summer. It's more expensive than Luminar, but I am happy with it. In my opinion the quality of the results is even much better than with Luminar - and I don't feel cheated as I did with Skylum

Kendall Schmidt

How did this ever get through your QA process? The ability to add a folder of images is the most basic functionality of this app and yet L4 with macOS Catalina does not work at all. Catalina was been around long enough for L4 to be QA'ed against it before it was release 11/14/2019. Last $$'s I'm giving to Skylum.

Bowman Gray

REALLY ENJOYING THE TOPAZ AI ADJUST... GIVE IT A TRY! PRICE IS RIGHT AND BOTTOM LINE - IT WORKS AS IT'S SUPPOSED TO... I'M DONE WITH SKYLUM... OF COURSE, IT WOULD SEEM THEY WERE DONE WITH ME/US WHEN THEY CHOSE TO ABANDON 4 OUT OF 6 SOFTWARE PACKAGES (ONLY ONE OF WHICH ACTUALLY FUNCTIONS) I BOUGHT FROM THEM WITHOUT TELLING ME UNTIL THIS WHOLE FIASCO BEGAN WITH THEM DROPPING THE BALL COMPLETELY. STILL, NO ATTEMPT TO APOLOGIZE OR TELL ANY OF US WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO TO ATTEMPT TO KEEP US AS CUSTOMERS. I AM ACTUALLY EMBARRASSED FOR THEM.

Elena Blum

Hi,

We are constantly updating our software to improve the stability of it and to make the user experience better.

Please contact our support team if you have any issues and we will do our best to assist you https://skylum.com/support

bryan edwards

Are we (3) users going to be upgrade to 4 for free? I have not been able to use my license for 50%+ of the time Or are they giving a full refund?

Colin Grant

It is not a free upgrade and why have you not been able to use your license for 50% of the time? It is a license for L3 yes?

Any updated release date for Aurora HDR 2019, yet?

Photoextention error's driving me crazy.

in my workflow which involves Aurora HDR 2019, Photoextention functionality is crucial.

I cannot believe crucial debug update is pending for 2 month while the application cost me $100.

This time.. at least.. we need estimated release date for the upcoming update.

please, any updated comment from staff?

bryan edwards

Sorry not sorry but at this point 4 should be free to any users on the Mac platform. I paid for an account I could only use for 3 months. Thank goodness I did not end my relationship with Lightroom.
    I’ve sent a couple of help request and received only one canned were working 24 hours a day and have received 7000 emails...
    Well this is amateur at best. Actually, if I can’t have 4 for free I’d like a full refund.

Bowman Gray

Don’t hold your breath for anything even remotely approaching a satisfactory response from Skylum. Capture One or Topaz’s suite of applications do a better job anyway. Cut your losses and move on.

Helena Carter

bryan edwards,

We have contacted you via email.

Helena Carter

For Everyone,

Please, note that the new update for Luminar 3 (3.1.4) has fixed compatibility issues on Catalina OS. However, we plan releasing another update. Will announce the date later.

If you're facing any issues with our software, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you.

Post is closed for comments.