MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

146 comments

Colin Grant

Have just tried to update and third time lucky - all is now well and L3 is working well with Photos.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bowman Gray

Tried doing a clean install of Aura HDR Pro - no luck, still will not save files. 

Mr.E

Since last update is has actually gotten worse.

I have now 16 (sixteen!) copies of the same photo in the 'all photo's'  directory, while there is only 1 in the actual directory on my Mac.

I'm now affraid to try any more of their, so called 'updates', out of fear Skylum is really trying to kill my Mac...

Heino Deutschmann

Now L3 works well with Apple-Photos, thanks Alina. Look to the following Threat from Ailina.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006385539 

Craig Herrick

The patch finally installed this morning after a number of unsuccessful tries yesterday. 

- Working.  It seems like I can open a photo in Apple Photos plug in, edit and save.  

- Not working.  When opening Luminar stand alone, and as before, I can open and edit files.  I can create a new folder in Luminar (or in Finder), add a photo or import a photo but Luminar doesn't see anything in the folder.  Likewise if I add a photo to an existing folder, Luminar doesn't see it.... not good for workflow.

Colin Grant

I just moved a folder into L3 via Mac Finder and all images were picked up. I also dragged images between folder within L3 and that worked. That does not help you Craig but it is not a universal problem it seems.

Eric Loit

Mr. E

I have been experiencing the same problem and I believe I know what is happening.   If you ran Luminar 3 (before the update) under Catalina and imported new images they will not show up in the folder in Luminar but they do show up in the folder in the Finder.   Under the "All Photos" shortcut for that date the show up.   Problem is that every time you start Luminar those photos get duplicated.   This is corrupting the Catalog database and doesn't fix with the update and continues to duplicate.

I then created a new catalog and imported the files which works as expected.  I can move between folders and everything seems to work.   Even after restarting Luminar there is no longer any duplication happening.   In the previous catalog I have 7 copies of the imported images.    

Of course making a new catalog and re-importing all your photos so it works is just dandy.. except then you loose all your previous edits only having to do them all over again.   So you don't lose your precious original images but you loose all your combined editing efforts this way.   So frankly speaking not a good solution but may be the only way to get rid of the database corruption.   There doesn't seem to be a way to repair or rebuild the existing database.   So in my case all is lost ( I do have a backup of the old) as I need to keep editing and adding new images.   

Mr.E

Hi Eric,

Hmm, that's not an acceptable solution for me.

I give 'm a week to sort things out and come up with a decent update.

If not i'm moving to Affinity or Raw Therapee, i'm in the proces testing both those programs now and i like what i see.

That said: Thanks for the explanation. :) you seem to understand Luminar better than they do.

Eric Loit

Hi Wolfgang,

Yeah I didn't think of that but using the old catalog would mean I won't lose my edits.   Just need to manage two catalogs.   Just the old catalog keeps duplicating the most recent imports, but I trashed them (though cannot empty the trash because it can't find the duplicates).  Still saves me from having to redo the previous edits.  Thanks.

Anna V

Hi Bowman

We will update Aurora HDR 2019 with an update later this year. 

Please see the post here:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400-MacOS-10-15-Catalina-Compatibility- 

Anna V

Hi Everybody, 

Luminar 3 still is not fully compatible with Catalina and we are aware of the issue with importing the images. 

We will do our best to fix it soon. 

Mr.E

Hi Anna,

Could you send an email out when there is an update that contains all the fixes?

Bill K

Followed the new instructions from Alina i.e. use app cleaner, etc.

L3 is now working as expected with Photos.

Thanks for quickly fixing this issue!

Looking forward to getting L4 in Nov

Urban Wilde

finally good news (for me, at least):I use my macbook for editing, i.e. L3 as a plug-in in Photos. I have the MacUpdate app installed and noticed that it had recognised the L3 update and was ready to update L3. I didn't trust it but gave it a try (i.e. without going through AppCleaner and re-installing from the Skylum website) nevertheless. To my great surprise, it seems to be working well now. I did not even have to re-start. After having edited a few photos, i am able to work as prior to the Catalina disaster. 
    Frankly, all Skylum could have done was 1) properly testing L3 under Catalina 2) send out a few emails to alert users not to upgrade to Catalina. This would still have left a few people unhappy perhaps, but it would not have been the PR disaster in the Skylum community that we have been experiencing with this upgrade 

Mr.E

I still can't use flex in photos, there isn't an update in L3 and re-installing doesn't do anything.

Am i missing something? (beside my trust in luminar)

John Robinson

Well done, Skylum, for getting Luminar 3 (3.1.4) working with Catalina. I haven't done an exhaustive test, just a handful of new photo imports and edits of existing images. Sorry Bahram Monshat, I've not experienced your problem.

Flex is still not working but I'm patient.

There were numerous warnings on the internet, including one from Adobe, not to switch to Catalina until the bugs have been ironed out - whether Apple's or the software firm's. I took the risk because Skylum/Luminar has always worked with the past Apple OS updates and I needed Catalina asap for other than photo purposes.

Tim Stahmer

After following the directions for doing a clean install of Luminar 3, starting with removing the old one with AppCleaner, importing photos still doesn't work. Luminar does copy the images to the folder but they do not show in the Library. Also doesn't work if I select Move. It doesn't matter where the images are: desktop, external drive, or SD card. Yes, I've restarted both the program and the computer several times.

I'm running the most up to date version of Catalina on a 2018 MacBook Pro with plenty of RAM and hard drive space. Luminar says it's version 3.1.4 (5108). The files are Canon CR2 images.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions? Can anyone suggest an alternative that works and is supported by the developer?

Reinhard Temmel

After reinstalling L3 several times according above directions I cannot add a folder (it will add the folder but showing 0 images) to recent catalogue.

But: I can add a folder to any older L3 catalogues! I use a catalogue for every year (2017, 2018, 2019), I can import a new folder into catalogue 2017 and 2018, but not into catalogue 2019. I can create a new catalogue = 2019_2 and can import a new folder into this catalogue.

So: what happened to catalogue 2019, the one I used before updating? Is there a way to restore any older version of catalogue 2019, that might be running?

Daniel Cox

I uninstalled and reinstalled Luminar 3 several times and it still will not import photos on my Mac running macOS Catalina. I followed the instructions pinned to this thread twice with no success. Then I completely  uninstalled Luminar 3 and downloaded a fresh copy from my account. This also does not work. In addition to not being able to import new photos, the trash folder in the application cannot be emptied. When I try to empty the trash it displays an error message that the file cannot be deleted because it does not exist. Now what?

Update: I read more of the posts on this thread and found a solution. I created a new catalog, added picture folders and deleted the old catalog. Everything appears to be working. Hopefully these bugs are gone from Luminar 4 that I purchased months ago.

Janet Welty

Followed the above instructions and installed a new version of Luminar 3.  I use as an extension to photos.  about 50 percent of the time I make a change with Luminary, Photos quits.  Thank God I'm only working with a handful of pictures today, but sure hope this gets better when next version comes out.  Gotta say worst roll out for both Apple and Skylum.  Guess the other skylum apps just go down the tubes??

Kate Williams

Hi, 

The issue with 0 files/duplicates in the folders is currently under investigation of our QA team, they seem to have found the fix and, currently, retesting it. 

Luminar Flex and Aurora HDR 2019 compatibility updates will be coming later this year - most likely after Luminar 4 release. 

@Janet, please get in touch with our team via https://skylum.com/support if you'd like us to check the crashes in Luminar as Photos extension. 

jason adams

I did the above but still not working I am not happy 

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

jason adams

Guys I was having the same problem but if you create a new catalog and use that one all of your new photos will show up in their folders.
    Not sure why the old catalog exhibits this problems but that’s what worked for me.

Craig Herrick

I will certainly check that out. Why it takes a user vice Skylum to reveal this I do t know.

Tony Collins

The problem with a new catalog is all the edits you've done until now will only be in the old catalog

John Robinson

Nick, we were - sort of. I remember Skylum saying that the Creative Kit was now a legacy system and would not be updated. I didn't expect CK to be updated for Catalina so I have, with a deal of sadness, deleted all the Creative Kit apps apart from Snapheal which still works for some reason. I rarely used Tonality but until Catalina came along, I had continued to use Snapheal and Intensify as, probably like you with Tonality, thought they were much better than anything in Luminar.

Helena Carter

Thanks so much for your feedback, we have passed it to the person in charge so such confusion won't happen again.

Jim Devlin

So, I think I have found the root cause.

To be clear, this is in relation to the Luminar 3 issue on Mac OS Catalina where images added to folders do not show up in the Library view (i.e. newly added folders with many photos in them show "0" photos). The photos do show up in the "Recently added" folder but not in the Luminar Library folder related to the Finder folder holding the actual photo files. 

Before I looked into this, I ensured I followed these instructions (https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400/comments/360000856000) to delete the existing version of Luminar and install afresh.I still had the issue. I am running Luminar 3.1.4

To test the issue, I did the below

• I added a new empty folder called "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2".
    • I launched Luminar 3 and "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2" showed up in the Library under "Folder" with 0 photos in it, as expected
    • I quit Luminar 3
    • I added 6 photos to "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2" in Finder: one of them was called D61_6156.NEF
    • I launched Luminar 3 but "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2" still had a count of 0
    • I quit Luminar 3

Then, I opened the Luminar.luminar catalog file (my only catalog file) in a SQLite explorer program and observed the following anomalies / 

• The "paths" folder has two records related to "2019-xx-xx Random photos 2". Paths record #32 was tied to volume #2 (from the volumes table) and paths record #33 was tied to volume #3
    • All the existing (pre-Catalina) folders in the paths table had one record each tied to Volume #2
    • All the 6 new photos I just added (including D61_6156.NEF) appeared in the paths_images table and were tied to paths record #33 (i.e. the duplicate folder entry tied to volume #3). These are the only 6 photos not showing up in their folders within Luminar
    • In the volumes table, volume #2 (the working one) is tied to disk1s1 and volume #3 (there broken one) is tied to disk1s5
    • The context on MacOS is that disk1s5 was added in Catalina (didn't exist before) and stores only the core OS. It is not writeable when the OS is launched in normal mode. All data is still stored in disk1s1. Pre-Catalina, the OS and data were all stored in disk1s1

The conclusion is that something in the logic which detects what Volume new files are added on is buggy. This creates a new volume record, and associates everything to that. But the logic for displaying photos in Folders works correctly (i.e. ignores any photos which the database claims were added in disk1s5 but which aren't actually on that volume).

Just to check this, I took a copy of my catalog file, then edited it to correct all of the above (i.e. re-pointed the paths_images records to the correct record form the paths table, then deleted the duplicate and incorrect paths record, then deleted the incorrect volumes record). When I launched Luminar, all the photos showed up as they were supposed to.

Kate Williams

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing your insights. 

Our team has sorted out the issue and will be rolling out the fix for Luminar 3 soon. Stay tuned! 

Post is closed for comments.