MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

146 comments

Urban Wilde

finally good news (for me, at least):I use my macbook for editing, i.e. L3 as a plug-in in Photos. I have the MacUpdate app installed and noticed that it had recognised the L3 update and was ready to update L3. I didn't trust it but gave it a try (i.e. without going through AppCleaner and re-installing from the Skylum website) nevertheless. To my great surprise, it seems to be working well now. I did not even have to re-start. After having edited a few photos, i am able to work as prior to the Catalina disaster. 
    Frankly, all Skylum could have done was 1) properly testing L3 under Catalina 2) send out a few emails to alert users not to upgrade to Catalina. This would still have left a few people unhappy perhaps, but it would not have been the PR disaster in the Skylum community that we have been experiencing with this upgrade 

Comment actions Permalink
    Mr.E

I still can't use flex in photos, there isn't an update in L3 and re-installing doesn't do anything.

Am i missing something? (beside my trust in luminar)

Bahram Monshat

It seems that my 3.1.4 working well except that

1. It needs to import manually
    2. shows four copies of each photos, of those imported after installation of 3.1.4.
    John Robinson

Well done, Skylum, for getting Luminar 3 (3.1.4) working with Catalina. I haven't done an exhaustive test, just a handful of new photo imports and edits of existing images. Sorry Bahram Monshat, I've not experienced your problem.

Flex is still not working but I'm patient.

There were numerous warnings on the internet, including one from Adobe, not to switch to Catalina until the bugs have been ironed out - whether Apple's or the software firm's. I took the risk because Skylum/Luminar has always worked with the past Apple OS updates and I needed Catalina asap for other than photo purposes.

Tim Stahmer

After following the directions for doing a clean install of Luminar 3, starting with removing the old one with AppCleaner, importing photos still doesn't work. Luminar does copy the images to the folder but they do not show in the Library. Also doesn't work if I select Move. It doesn't matter where the images are: desktop, external drive, or SD card. Yes, I've restarted both the program and the computer several times.

I'm running the most up to date version of Catalina on a 2018 MacBook Pro with plenty of RAM and hard drive space. Luminar says it's version 3.1.4 (5108). The files are Canon CR2 images.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions? Can anyone suggest an alternative that works and is supported by the developer?

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Reinhard Temmel

After reinstalling L3 several times according above directions I cannot add a folder (it will add the folder but showing 0 images) to recent catalogue.

But: I can add a folder to any older L3 catalogues! I use a catalogue for every year (2017, 2018, 2019), I can import a new folder into catalogue 2017 and 2018, but not into catalogue 2019. I can create a new catalogue = 2019_2 and can import a new folder into this catalogue.

So: what happened to catalogue 2019, the one I used before updating? Is there a way to restore any older version of catalogue 2019, that might be running?

David Ashley

No updates being offered when I check for updates in Luminar Flex. Does the update apply only to Luminar 3?

Mr.E

Hi Kirk,

Do you want us all to contact via support to 'figure something out'?

Tim is describing the problems we all have as far as i can understand...

Colin Grant

@David Ashley, there is no update for Flex just yet.

Daniel Cox

I uninstalled and reinstalled Luminar 3 several times and it still will not import photos on my Mac running macOS Catalina. I followed the instructions pinned to this thread twice with no success. Then I completely  uninstalled Luminar 3 and downloaded a fresh copy from my account. This also does not work. In addition to not being able to import new photos, the trash folder in the application cannot be emptied. When I try to empty the trash it displays an error message that the file cannot be deleted because it does not exist. Now what?

Update: I read more of the posts on this thread and found a solution. I created a new catalog, added picture folders and deleted the old catalog. Everything appears to be working. Hopefully these bugs are gone from Luminar 4 that I purchased months ago.

Tony Collins

That will work - but you will have lost all the edits you did in the old catalog

Janet Welty

Followed the above instructions and installed a new version of Luminar 3.  I use as an extension to photos.  about 50 percent of the time I make a change with Luminary, Photos quits.  Thank God I'm only working with a handful of pictures today, but sure hope this gets better when next version comes out.  Gotta say worst roll out for both Apple and Skylum.  Guess the other skylum apps just go down the tubes??

Kate Williams

Hi, 

The issue with 0 files/duplicates in the folders is currently under investigation of our QA team, they seem to have found the fix and, currently, retesting it. 

Luminar Flex and Aurora HDR 2019 compatibility updates will be coming later this year - most likely after Luminar 4 release. 

@Janet, please get in touch with our team via https://skylum.com/support if you'd like us to check the crashes in Luminar as Photos extension. 

jason adams

I did the above but still not working I am not happy 

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Jinhong Kim

@Kate, Can we have an ETA of the fix ("0 files in the folder" bug)?  

Craig Herrick

Took a bunch of photos last night... but can't import them into my preferred photo editor... what's wrong with this picture.

I did pull them into Apple Photos from there but not the most efficient workflow. 

Why should I assume 4 is going to work when 3 doesn't.

jason adams

Guys I was having the same problem but if you create a new catalog and use that one all of your new photos will show up in their folders.
    Not sure why the old catalog exhibits this problems but that’s what worked for me.

Craig Herrick

I will certainly check that out. Why it takes a user vice Skylum to reveal this I do t know.

Tony Collins

The problem with a new catalog is all the edits you've done until now will only be in the old catalog

Nick Franklin

Why where users of Tonality not informed that it would not be comparable with Catalina. So pissed right now. App loads, can edit, but won't save in Photos.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Nick! I am afraid that Tonality CK is our legacy app, thus we are not supporting it anymore.

John Robinson

Nick, we were - sort of. I remember Skylum saying that the Creative Kit was now a legacy system and would not be updated. I didn't expect CK to be updated for Catalina so I have, with a deal of sadness, deleted all the Creative Kit apps apart from Snapheal which still works for some reason. I rarely used Tonality but until Catalina came along, I had continued to use Snapheal and Intensify as, probably like you with Tonality, thought they were much better than anything in Luminar.

Bowman Gray

Again, no emails to update on what is being fixed and what isn't. Are they abandoning the Aurora HDR platform as well? We are told "fix by year-end", but that hardly inspires any confidence. No word and again, no apologies. They have entered the class of companies that find their customers to be a pain in the ass except when it comes time to ask them to buy something new. I will never buy from them again.

Markus Ullius

I won't buy any Skylum products any more. This is a very unprofessional company in my opinion. No cr3-support after more than a year and now the Catalina disaster and the end of support of Tonality (and probably other products). SHAME ON YOU, SKYLUM! I won't stop telling everybody about this to warn people about being cheated by this company.

Mr.E

Same here.

Never Again.

Nick Franklin

I love Luminar 3, can’t see the need to upgrade to 4 at extra cost but extremely frustrated about the demise of Tonality. I find it much better than Luminar for mono image creation. Sadly I feel No reason to stay with skylum.

Kyle Wagaman

Intensify is currently being sold in the Mac App Store, not a "legacy product." Why doesn't the Photos extension work in macOS Catalina?

Elena Blum

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention! Indeed, it's a legacy app, but there are still a lot of people who don't have Catalina and want to buy Intensify. We will definitely expand the compatibility information on the app store.

Post is closed for comments.