MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

146 comments

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hallo Heino, Do you also use a magic mouse? If so, does this work with Luminar without problems?

Comment actions Permalink
    Bill K

Wolfgang - I use a MM with L3 with no problems ..

Wolfgang Jarcik

Bill - thanks for you info but when I edit images and use the MM, it jumps from one photo to the other as soon as I just move the mouse a little bit while stirring the mouse left or right.

Bill K

Wolfgang - Sounds like you use L as a standalone and get this problem?.  I use it as an extension in Photos so only a single image can be edited so the problem does not exist. Sorry for my confusion

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

We have released an update with Catalina OS support. Please, refer to this post:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006385539

If you're facing any issues installing the update, please, contact us via https://skylum.com/support

Wolfgang Jarcik

Bill K.
    right I'm using Luminar stand alone, thanks anyway for your quick answers. Not everyone here is so fast on the Prolem solution.

Bill K

tried downloading the patch again. extract fails again. contacted support

Bill K

found this thread ..

downloaded L3 - was hoping it included the patch but it didn't so  downloaded th patch again.  Extract failed again

I live in rural northern MT and access the web via my cell phone . this is eating up my data allowance

Bowman Gray

OK, now how about Luminar Flex, Aura HDR Pro, and 2019?

Kim Austin

7:30am Friday in Australia. Beautiful day, and the beach across the street is beckoning. But what am I doing? More frustration after seeing an update to L3. Come on Skylum -- you release an update despite saying it was a way off, and it doesn't work!!!!!

Eric Loit

Excited to receive the update and happy to see that efforts are actually being made.    Unfortunately on installing the update I am still faced with the same issue.   The images imported do not show up in the folder that they are actually in and in the "All Photos" shortcut the images are duplicated each time that I restart Luminar.   I did test with a new import under the new release with the same results.   From my perspective the update didn't change anything for me.

As a Digital Asset Manager,  this is VERY scary.   I am worried that the slip shot way that the catalog is working puts my valuable photography assets at risk.   Though I am comforted that the original files are not damaged, all my edits run the risk of being lost on having to reimport or re-create the catalog.   On 30k images, you can imagine that this is an incredible loss of invested time in my assets.   This on its own is very troubling.   

I will patiently wait a few more days for a workable solution but faced without a functioning product I will have to move elsewhere as my confidence and trust in this product is shattered.   In concept Luminar is great,  the image results are great as well,  but the risk and non-performance its just too high to trust my assets to and to rely that I have a key component in my editing toolchain.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Apparently, one needs their License Code to unlock the update. That is, it considers your installation a new purchase. Try as I might, I cannot find mine even though I purchased Luminar 3 only 8 days ago, My machines have an uncanny practice of hiding just the emails I want. I can find all the ones I don't want, but I cannot find the email from Skylum with my activation key.

Related, I emailed you a screen shot of my receipt from the Apple App Store so that you could list Luminar 3 in "My Software." So now it's listed, but there is no link to download it or to manage my license. If that had been done, I would not have to bother you here. 

The update does work for me, albeit I am in trial mode until I can get my License Key.

Thanks in advance. 

helmi gooner

I also got the 'Update Error!',

To get latest version 3.1.4, I 'Move to Bin' the installed Luminar 3,

then install new after download from https://skylum.com/account/my-software

Mr.E

Still not working... :(

Bowman Gray

AGAIN, ALL THIS EFFORT FOR L3 - BUT NO MENTION OF AURA PRO, 2019, ETC.... PLEASE PROVIDE A STATUS UPDATE!!!

Colin Grant

Bill is right, the only way is to Revert to Original. That is the way it has always been with Photos. In fact any external editor be it Luminar, Nik, Topaz et al will always send back a tiff or jpeg with the edits baked in, irrespective of which host app you are using. The edits are always destructive but so long as you have the raw somewhere you still have the original image available to you. I just wish there was an option to send either a tiff or jpeg back to Photos, although I accept that using tiff as the default would eat up a lot of storage space.

Colin Grant

Have just tried to update and third time lucky - all is now well and L3 is working well with Photos.

Bowman Gray

Tried doing a clean install of Aura HDR Pro - no luck, still will not save files. 

Mr.E

Since last update is has actually gotten worse.

I have now 16 (sixteen!) copies of the same photo in the 'all photo's'  directory, while there is only 1 in the actual directory on my Mac.

I'm now affraid to try any more of their, so called 'updates', out of fear Skylum is really trying to kill my Mac...

Heino Deutschmann

Now L3 works well with Apple-Photos, thanks Alina. Look to the following Threat from Ailina.

Craig Herrick

The patch finally installed this morning after a number of unsuccessful tries yesterday. 

- Working.  It seems like I can open a photo in Apple Photos plug in, edit and save.  

- Not working.  When opening Luminar stand alone, and as before, I can open and edit files.  I can create a new folder in Luminar (or in Finder), add a photo or import a photo but Luminar doesn't see anything in the folder.  Likewise if I add a photo to an existing folder, Luminar doesn't see it.... not good for workflow.

Colin Grant

I just moved a folder into L3 via Mac Finder and all images were picked up. I also dragged images between folder within L3 and that worked. That does not help you Craig but it is not a universal problem it seems.

Eric Loit

Mr. E

I have been experiencing the same problem and I believe I know what is happening.   If you ran Luminar 3 (before the update) under Catalina and imported new images they will not show up in the folder in Luminar but they do show up in the folder in the Finder.   Under the "All Photos" shortcut for that date the show up.   Problem is that every time you start Luminar those photos get duplicated.   This is corrupting the Catalog database and doesn't fix with the update and continues to duplicate.

I then created a new catalog and imported the files which works as expected.  I can move between folders and everything seems to work.   Even after restarting Luminar there is no longer any duplication happening.   In the previous catalog I have 7 copies of the imported images.    

Of course making a new catalog and re-importing all your photos so it works is just dandy.. except then you loose all your previous edits only having to do them all over again.   So you don't lose your precious original images but you loose all your combined editing efforts this way.   So frankly speaking not a good solution but may be the only way to get rid of the database corruption.   There doesn't seem to be a way to repair or rebuild the existing database.   So in my case all is lost ( I do have a backup of the old) as I need to keep editing and adding new images.   

Mr.E

Hi Eric,

Hmm, that's not an acceptable solution for me.

I give 'm a week to sort things out and come up with a decent update.

If not i'm moving to Affinity or Raw Therapee, i'm in the proces testing both those programs now and i like what i see.

That said: Thanks for the explanation. :) you seem to understand Luminar better than they do.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Eric
    Thanks for your information, now importing photos into folders also works for me. I have created a new catalog and everything works. I do not lose the old edits - I keep the old catalog if I still need pictures from there.

Eric Loit

Hi Wolfgang,

Yeah I didn't think of that but using the old catalog would mean I won't lose my edits.   Just need to manage two catalogs.   Just the old catalog keeps duplicating the most recent imports, but I trashed them (though cannot empty the trash because it can't find the duplicates).  Still saves me from having to redo the previous edits.  Thanks.

Anna V

Hi Bowman

We will update Aurora HDR 2019 with an update later this year. 

Please see the post here:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400-MacOS-10-15-Catalina-Compatibility- 

Anna V

Hi Everybody, 

Luminar 3 still is not fully compatible with Catalina and we are aware of the issue with importing the images. 

We will do our best to fix it soon. 

Mr.E

Hi Anna,

Could you send an email out when there is an update that contains all the fixes?

Bill K

Followed the new instructions from Alina i.e. use app cleaner, etc.

L3 is now working as expected with Photos.

Thanks for quickly fixing this issue!

Looking forward to getting L4 in Nov

Post is closed for comments.