MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

146 comments

Wolfgang Jarcik

The testers of this "software" are probably just us, the customers. Otherwise, I can not explain everything to me anymore.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bowman Gray

Anything yet on Aurora HDR all versions or Luminar Flex? Your lack of updates and responding to YOUR CUSTOMERS is really something... 

Mr.E

Replacing the Skies... Ha, there’s something else that needs replacing, for something that works with Catalina!

Chase B.

@kate

Are there any updates on the fix for Luminar 3 & aurora? downgrading from Catalina back to Mojave is a major pain. I'd love to not have to continue forward with that as my only option. 

Also...you said "The initial Luminar 4 release should be compatible with Catalina."....we're all wondering..."should?" Have you gotten confirmation on that yet? 

Eric Loit

Glad to hear that its being worked on though at least an estimate of time would be more useful.  Right now it could be minutes, hours, days weeks or I fear actually months.   This is where trust and credibility really comes to play.   More specific detail even if it is not exact will boost confidence where there is none and is a good start..  

Now on to an observation.   I have just installed the supplemental patch in hopes of things getting a little better.. they are not.  I am currently using Version 3.1.0 (3559).  The pictures that I imported (Sony A7r iii raw files) show up in the "All Photos" section under the correct date but do not show up in the folder they were imported to.   Though using the Finder I can see the images in the actual folder properly.   One other issue seems that the imported photos since the Catalina update are duplicated in the "All Photos" section for as many times as I have restarted Luminar.   In this case now 7 times..  so I have 7 copies of each photo in the browser.   Thank god that in the actual folder under the Finder there is only a single copy.

Clearly the latest MacOS supplemental update has not corrected the incompatibility.   I would ask for you to give some additional guidance as to when to expect the update.. Best guess please as "As soon as possible" can mean anything and sets no real level of exception just angst.

Chase B.

The app store version of Luminar works with Catalina. Luminar 3 does NOT. I ended up downgrading my mac back to mojave (pain in the butt and time consuming) but that was my only option with clients waiting for photos and I was unable to use Luminar 3 or Aurora. I'm super unhappy about all the time I lost and just having to downgrade in general. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Skylum's communication. It's dreadful. 

Wolfgang Jarcik
    I have sent this new and again very annoying problem to the support.
    Bill K

LOL - They did find time to create and distribute another marketing email campaign from Roman Pylypenko, Head of Customer Success.

L4 releases Nov 18th

Kim Austin

7:30am Friday in Australia. Beautiful day, and the beach across the street is beckoning. But what am I doing? More frustration after seeing an update to L3. Come on Skylum -- you release an update despite saying it was a way off, and it doesn't work!!!!!

Eric Loit

Excited to receive the update and happy to see that efforts are actually being made.    Unfortunately on installing the update I am still faced with the same issue.   The images imported do not show up in the folder that they are actually in and in the "All Photos" shortcut the images are duplicated each time that I restart Luminar.   I did test with a new import under the new release with the same results.   From my perspective the update didn't change anything for me.

As a Digital Asset Manager,  this is VERY scary.   I am worried that the slip shot way that the catalog is working puts my valuable photography assets at risk.   Though I am comforted that the original files are not damaged, all my edits run the risk of being lost on having to reimport or re-create the catalog.   On 30k images, you can imagine that this is an incredible loss of invested time in my assets.   This on its own is very troubling.   

I will patiently wait a few more days for a workable solution but faced without a functioning product I will have to move elsewhere as my confidence and trust in this product is shattered.   In concept Luminar is great,  the image results are great as well,  but the risk and non-performance its just too high to trust my assets to and to rely that I have a key component in my editing toolchain.

Mr.E

Hi Kirk,

Do you want us all to contact via support to 'figure something out'?

Tim is describing the problems we all have as far as i can understand...

Kendall Schmidt

How did this ever get through your QA process? The ability to add a folder of images is the most basic functionality of this app and yet L4 with macOS Catalina does not work at all. Catalina was been around long enough for L4 to be QA'ed against it before it was release 11/14/2019. Last $$'s I'm giving to Skylum.

Any updated release date for Aurora HDR 2019, yet?

Photoextention error's driving me crazy.

in my workflow which involves Aurora HDR 2019, Photoextention functionality is crucial.

I cannot believe crucial debug update is pending for 2 month while the application cost me $100.

This time.. at least.. we need estimated release date for the upcoming update.

please, any updated comment from staff?

Bill K

Hi Kate

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to learning the release date for the L3 fix.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Summary of my experiments.

1. Luminar 3 will now work as an Apple Photos extension, but the only way to undo any Luminar 3 edits, once you have stopped editing, is globally with the Apple "Revert to Original" button in Apple Photos. upper left corner. But the file sizes are unaltered.

2. Luminar 3 will work as a standalone, but the file sizes when saving are huge, maybe too huge for your tastes. I dunno, but big files for sure cuz they have the edit history in them, I suppose. But curiously, when you export those huge files to Apple Photos, or use the "Open in Photos" workaround, or even re-import the files into Luminar 3, even though the files are large, you can't undo the edits.

So the goal for me would be to have Luminar 3 work inside Apple Photos non-destructively and without making large files. If Apple can do it, if Lightroom can do it - Skylum can do it. It would be nice if these fixes could be applied to Photolemur 3, as well, then we'd all be as well off as we were a week ago before macOS Catalina.

Also, has Luminar always created destructive (can't undo the edits) files when used as a standalone? I'm very new to Luminar, coming to it from Photolemur 2 and 3 which I used as an Apple Photos extension. Since Photolemur is a "one shot" filter, and since I could undo it with the Apple Photos "Revert to Original" command, I was happy.

Dan Worland

I had to laugh with your last response to Eric’s post Helena. “But THIS TIME soon really means soon”. “Soon” is the standard response from Skylum, even when no one there is doing anything. Maybe Skylum should start taking a trustworthy approach and those words might actually mean something.

Mr.E

Well.. I received an update, and guess what:

No, I'm not gonna say something sarcastic...

Mr.E

In Luminar 3, go to 'Luminar 3'  (upper left).

Select ' Check for updates' .

You'll find an update

(I get an error after running it, but mabey you don't?

Wolfgang Jarcik

Mr.E.

auch bei mir kommt nach dem download diese Fehlermeldung, einziger Unterschied - sie ist auf deutsch:

Mr.E

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for trying, now i know it's not only me :)

Danke.

Bill K

I have the same issue - update does not finish downloading before the error message

running Catalina on an iMac

Craig Herrick

Same issue here... It installed but then errored out when it tried to install.  Gosh why is this so hard. 

Dan Worland

Skylum has an amazing marketing team as well as a fantastic web designer. But in the actual product, not so much it seems. It’s a shame, I love the concept of luminar but it’s just not ready to play with the big boys. I’m looking hard for LR replacement that has a catalog type system. Also must support Canon new raw files that luminar doesn’t.

Ive been venting on her a lot but feel taken. Such a shame luminar can’t deliver on what they sell.

Markus Ullius

Same for me.

Maybe they should hire some testers because their developers are working so hard around the clock to support Canon's brand new and very secret cr3-format so they don't have the time for testing... (sarcasm)

Bill K

tried downloading the patch again. extract fails again. contacted support

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Apparently, one needs their License Code to unlock the update. That is, it considers your installation a new purchase. Try as I might, I cannot find mine even though I purchased Luminar 3 only 8 days ago, My machines have an uncanny practice of hiding just the emails I want. I can find all the ones I don't want, but I cannot find the email from Skylum with my activation key.

Related, I emailed you a screen shot of my receipt from the Apple App Store so that you could list Luminar 3 in "My Software." So now it's listed, but there is no link to download it or to manage my license. If that had been done, I would not have to bother you here. 

The update does work for me, albeit I am in trial mode until I can get my License Key.

Thanks in advance. 

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Eric
    Thanks for your information, now importing photos into folders also works for me. I have created a new catalog and everything works. I do not lose the old edits - I keep the old catalog if I still need pictures from there.

Bahram Monshat

It seems that my 3.1.4 working well except that

1. It needs to import manually
    2. shows four copies of each photos, of those imported after installation of 3.1.4.
    David Ashley

No updates being offered when I check for updates in Luminar Flex. Does the update apply only to Luminar 3?

Tony Collins

That will work - but you will have lost all the edits you did in the old catalog

Post is closed for comments.