MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

146 comments

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

BILL, Apple released a supplemental update today. I think it is still version 10.15 (of macOS Catalina).

Check out: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/15/catalina-supplemental-update/

So everything is indeed back to normal? (Except for losing Photolemur as an Apple Extension.) If the only way to undo changes was when used as an Apple plugin ... we can do that now. After experimenting with the program (Luminar), and learning that its behavior is now unchanged, I would never use it as a standalone! Destructive editing and massive file sizes? Who needs to put up with that?

I experienced Skylum products through Photolemur as an Apple plugin and as that, it's great. One touch, reversible and no increase in file size. I guess Luminar 3, and hopefully 4, can mimic that now that it is working as a plugin, but why would anyone use it as a standalone? Oh well, I'm sure some folks like it, file sizes, destructive edits and all.

Comment actions Permalink
    Craig Herrick

I disagree that everything is back to normal. I could not edit using Luminar from within Apple Photos. I received an error when I tired to save an edited photo. And using Luminar by itself I still could not see newly created folders.

Bill K

Hi Lawrence

I downloaded the supplemental update but it does not fix anything.  I am editing raw files and once the edits are done and Select Done, get a popup stating "unable to save changes for luminar 3".

Some people like tiff since it is lossless and I think if you use L to create the tiff, you can re-open it in L and reverse the changes using the history button ... the button is less obvious then it should be. hopefully a UI update is also happening with L4

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Bill, I'm editing JPEGs that were originally Nikon NEF (raw) files loaded into Lightroom CC, edited and exported as high quality JPEGs to be imported into Apple Photos for permanent storage, display and sharing. But I just tried Luminar 3 in Apple Photos with an NEF file and that worked too. That is, I could save it and it did not grow into a giant sized file. However, as you probably know, raw files can be tricky and unlike JPEG, there is no standard format, so your camera's raw files may not yet be supported, although I kinda' doubt that's the problem. Try a JPEG and if that fails too, you will know it's probably not the lack of support for your camera's raw files.

FWIW, I learned that any editor I have - Apple Photos, Photolemur, Lightroom CC and, of course Luminar 3 - will create large files if you export an edited version (at least in high quality). I also learned that you can't undo edits once the file is exported. That is, you can't import that same file and undo the edits you made before you exported it. You can export an original version which will be, surprise, the original. :-)

But for me and I'll bet most of us here, the value in using editors like Luminar is their ability to work as an Apple Photos plugin. I used Photolemur for years that way as the occasional last edit in my workflow, and I got interested in Luminar basically to replace Photolemur (and to try the great new advertised features). In fact, I downloaded Luminar 3 and ordered 4 when I discovered Photolemur would no longer run under macOS Catalina. Oh well, who knew we would have the same problem with Luminar? LOL But perhaps it is resolved, or will be shortly. In the meantime, it really is the icing on the cake for my workflow, maybe even just the cherry on top.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

BTW, it would sure be nice to hear from the management at Skylum on this issue. Did today's supplemental update to macOS Catalina change anything, or not. Sometimes I suspect that there must be like one programmer who works on this and that person is presently not in. Maybe they will come in on the weekend? :-)

Dan Worland

Lol, yea Skylum stopped supporting Canon Cameras over a year ago with Canon's newer CR3 RAW file format. So now they are going to abandon MAC users as well. A tech company just to lazy to keep up with tech changes I guess. 

So how do I get a refund on my preorder on luminar 4? I bought it before I updated my camera with the Canon EOS R just to find out Luminar doesnt support Canon's RAW files anymore!!! It's been over a year Canon has released CR3 and It's obvious Luminar isn't going to support it after this much time. So what makes anyone think they will update their software to support Apples Catalina OS? Or any future OS updates... Apple gives developers development packages so compatibility is not an issue when new OS is released. I guess Luminar missed that memo. 

If your on the fence about buying Luminart, DON'T. Run, run away as fast as you can people!!! Invest in a company that listens to their consumers and has the talent to keep up... 

Helena Carter

For everyone encountering issues with Catalina.

We've just got a word from our Technical department and they told us that an update with fix will be released as soon as possible.

Please, stay tuned!

Dan Worland

No offense Helena but we been hearing that kind of response for a year with Canon CR3 raw files. “Update coming soon”, “working on it 24/7”, yada yada yada.

Eric Loit

Glad to hear that its being worked on though at least an estimate of time would be more useful.  Right now it could be minutes, hours, days weeks or I fear actually months.   This is where trust and credibility really comes to play.   More specific detail even if it is not exact will boost confidence where there is none and is a good start..  

Now on to an observation.   I have just installed the supplemental patch in hopes of things getting a little better.. they are not.  I am currently using Version 3.1.0 (3559).  The pictures that I imported (Sony A7r iii raw files) show up in the "All Photos" section under the correct date but do not show up in the folder they were imported to.   Though using the Finder I can see the images in the actual folder properly.   One other issue seems that the imported photos since the Catalina update are duplicated in the "All Photos" section for as many times as I have restarted Luminar.   In this case now 7 times..  so I have 7 copies of each photo in the browser.   Thank god that in the actual folder under the Finder there is only a single copy.

Clearly the latest MacOS supplemental update has not corrected the incompatibility.   I would ask for you to give some additional guidance as to when to expect the update.. Best guess please as "As soon as possible" can mean anything and sets no real level of exception just angst.

Helena Carter

Eric,

Definitely not months, we can assure you. We can't tell you now when exactly, but this time soon means really soon.

Dan Worland

I had to laugh with your last response to Eric’s post Helena. “But THIS TIME soon really means soon”. “Soon” is the standard response from Skylum, even when no one there is doing anything. Maybe Skylum should start taking a trustworthy approach and those words might actually mean something.

Mr.E

Well.. I received an update, and guess what:

No, I'm not gonna say something sarcastic...

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Mr.E, what update was that? 

Mr.E

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

What about this? (Seen today in the App. Store.)

Mr.E

Obviously they're busy with it, which is a good thing.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Chase

The app store version of Luminar works with Catalina. Luminar 3 does NOT. I ended up downgrading my mac back to mojave (pain in the butt and time consuming) but that was my only option with clients waiting for photos and I was unable to use Luminar 3 or Aurora. I'm super unhappy about all the time I lost and just having to downgrade in general. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Skylum's communication. It's dreadful. 

Mr.E

In Luminar 3, go to 'Luminar 3'  (upper left).

Select ' Check for updates' .

You'll find an update

(I get an error after running it, but mabey you don't?

Wolfgang Jarcik

Mr.E.

auch bei mir kommt nach dem download diese Fehlermeldung, einziger Unterschied - sie ist auf deutsch:

Mr.E

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for trying, now i know it's not only me :)

Danke.

Bill K

I have the same issue - update does not finish downloading before the error message

running Catalina on an iMac

Craig Herrick

Same issue here... It installed but then errored out when it tried to install.  Gosh why is this so hard. 

Craig Herrick

I wonder if Skylum tried running the patch install on a Mac running Catalina?  I've now tried half dozen times and get the same error.  Tried after a reboot as well. 

Dan Worland

Skylum has an amazing marketing team as well as a fantastic web designer. But in the actual product, not so much it seems. It’s a shame, I love the concept of luminar but it’s just not ready to play with the big boys. I’m looking hard for LR replacement that has a catalog type system. Also must support Canon new raw files that luminar doesn’t.

Ive been venting on her a lot but feel taken. Such a shame luminar can’t deliver on what they sell.

Wolfgang Jarcik

The testers of this "software" are probably just us, the customers. Otherwise, I can not explain everything to me anymore.

Markus Ullius

Same for me.

Maybe they should hire some testers because their developers are working so hard around the clock to support Canon's brand new and very secret cr3-format so they don't have the time for testing... (sarcasm)

Wolfgang Jarcik
    I have sent this new and again very annoying problem to the support.
    Bill K

LOL - They did find time to create and distribute another marketing email campaign from Roman Pylypenko, Head of Customer Success.

L4 releases Nov 18th

Heino Deutschmann

Today i have download Luminar4-Golden Master, and there is no problem in OS CATALINA after edit to save back in Apple Photos. I have installed Luminar on the Desktop. It's not possible with L3 and Photolemur3.

Bill K

Heino - that is good news.  I have already pre-ordered L4. It would be nice to get L3 working so I do not have to postpone any PP for 1 month!

I have a license for C1 Pro but prefer to use Apple Photos for my DAM

Post is closed for comments.