MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured

Comments

139 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi Everyone!

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We have already fixed the issue, please update the app via Luminar 3 > Check for updates. 

In case you still face this issue updating Luminar 3 please try reinstalling Luminar in the following way:

We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

• Download AppCleaner from here (click this text to open link).
    • Install AppCleaner and start it.
    • Drag Luminar from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.
    • Once you've uninstalled Luminar, restart your Mac and download a fresh version of Luminar from the link below: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg
    • In case you receive the error message “You do not have sufficient permission to the specified folder” please simply click [OK] and finish the installation.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jos Vromen

Why am I not surprised ? 

Randy Wachs

This company has been touting Luminar 4's "great new features" for months. They are seeking more upgrade revenue while diverting their finite coding resources to building a new, "mousetrap." There have been Developer betas of Catalina for at least a couple months. (The final developer beta would have been very, very, close to the publicly distributed release. It certainly could have been used to identify major points of conflict such as the changes to the native Photos application.) To my eyes, this isn't a a surprise to the folks at Skylum. Making already sold products compatible and reliable is demonstrably not their priority. Even much software with the "2018" moniker is openly not going to be compatible with Catalina per the company's recent announcement. If you aren't willing to buy their newest incarnation each year (and truthfully spend much of the next months serving as paying "beta testers," you should avoid this company's products in my opinion.

I have NOT yet upgraded to Catalina. There is one legacy 32 bit app I rely upon which has no corresponding 64 bit alternative. For this reason alone, I am delaying a major OS upgrade for at least a few releases for the first time in many years. Abandoning 32 bit apps has been well communicated and is a necessary (and painful for some) step in the evolution of Mac OS. That said, this is an upgrade which will cause issues for many, some in unexpected ways. Verified backups and an abundance of caution are needed before embarking on this upgrade.

For the record, I also have stopped using my multiple paid versions of Skylum software for anything beyond an occasional experiment (and since Aurora 2018 and Luminar 2  are  apparently reaching end of life and won't work after I eventually migrate to Catalina) and for all practical purposes Luminar 3 which has never worked properly for me since purchase, I am effectively out of this ecosystem. Luckly, this Skylum issue isn't a deal breaker for me as I gave up on their support intentions several months ago. I do find it inexcusable that these significant compatibility issues are being communicated after the public release of Catalina. I feel sorry for those losing time and perhaps even critical photographic assets as a result. 

You spoke some wise words my friend. Really wise words. Companies like Skylum are pushing me back to Usenet where you can find this sh*t for free. A bad move, I do know it, but this company deserves nothing better.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

So when I use the work-around, I get a 72MB tiff file. How do I get a JPEG saved back to Apple Photos?

Bill K

The reasons I use L as a plug-in with Photos vs standalone is that when opening an image in L, it forces a conversion of any jpg or raw to a tiff.  My workflow does not use any tiff files .. when exporting to my personal photography site, I convert the raw to jpg.  If I want to print something, I convert my raw to tiff.

The failure to support Catalina as a plug-in would have been know with the most rudimentary level of testing.  The work-around is neither practical, usable or desirable for most people who are using L as a plug-in.

We receive frequent marketing via email from Skylum trying to up-sell us multiple products.  Why didn't they inform their clients (the majority are using Mac OSX) about this issue prior to the public release date?

Urban Wilde

i was so frustrated that i have re-looked into ON1 and DXO Labs. Both websites have issued warnings not to update to Catalina. So, Luminar is not alone. Nevertheless, i don't trust that Luminar can fix this given their unawareness of the upcoming issue and i have asked them to refund my early bird purchase of L4.

Jos Vromen

Exposure X5, again no problems at all.

Which Skylum apps are going to be compatible with macOS Catalina? Luminar 4, Luminar 3, Luminar Flex and Aurora HDR 2019.

So this is the end for CK, Tonality etc.  ? Nice that you mentioned that before. Oh, you didn't? Why am I not surprised (again)?

Thanks again,

Jos

Max

Finally at least an official statement like about every other vendor. Now let’s see who can fix his software first.

Craig Herrick

You have got to be kidding me.  So I'm not supposed to do a major MacOS upgrade because ONE of the many software programs I use won't work. This is why they release a beta version months in advance... so app developers can figure out how to interface with the new OS.  This is software development 101.  It does me no good to have a great photo editing program if I can't open or save the file!   Upgrade to 4... I think not.  Fix 3 please. 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Craig! As we noted, we will provide Catalina OS support for Luminar 3 as well. We just need some time. 

Bill K

Hi Anastasia.  Could you confirm that "Catalina support for L3" (and L4) means that Skylum will provide the same (or better) plug-in functionality that exists with L3 and Mojave i.e. use Apple Photos for DAM and edit with L via the Extensions feature?

Are you planning to release the fix prior to the release of L4 ?

Currently all of my photo processing is on hold because of this lack of support

Thanks

Kate Williams

Hi Bill,

The compatibility update would mean that all features Luminar has now, including extension functionality, will be running fine on Catalina. As soon as we have a precise timeframe for such an update, we will let everyone know.

Tony Collins

Well you have until my L4 eval period ends if you want to retain me as a customer.

Craig Herrick

So is there an estimate as to when my paid software will again work?  First, I'm surprised this caught anyone off guard.  As with every Apple annual upgrade, this one was proceeded by an extended beta release period.  Second, I'm surprised you let your customer base discover this problem on their own.  I still have not seen any information from you put out to your broader customer base.  Perhaps you are hoping some just won't notice their Luminar doesn't work.  

I read an article yesterday which implied that Luminar isn't the only piece of software which is having problems so I will give you that.  But as a customer, I'm displease with your lack of candor and I'm doubting that I will upgrade to L4, thought your emails advertising the program haven't stopped... even though right now I guess it will be dead on arrival. 

When will my L3 start working?  

Markus Ullius

This is the second time Skylum pisses me off. After still not supporting Canon's CR3-Format for more than a year now the software (Luminar 3, Aurora 2019, Photolemur 3) does not run as Photos-plugin under Catalina! 

And on the other hand they make big advertising for Luminar 4... 

I won't buy any products of this company treating their existing customers in this way anymore. This is not professional!

I'm really disappointed by this unprofessional company :(

Tony Collins

It's not really a good look. I'd strongly suggest not releasing L4 without catalina compatibility.

Kate Williams

Hi everyone, 

The initial Luminar 4 release should be compatible with Catalina.

The compatibility updates for Luminar 3, Luminar Flex and Aurora HDR 2019 will follow shortly. Please stay tuned. 

Eric Loit

Kate,

Though we all appreciate the update and can understand that the Apple with Catalina is the underlaying problem causing the software not to work.  Skylum is developing software and would have had access to the numerous pre-releases from Apple and should have been VERY aware of the incompatibility that Catalina was going to introduce.   Additionally Skylum is probably aware that the Apple ecosystem has the quickest adoption of updates out of any OS in the marketplace.   Proper communication was really necessary here.   I've been inundated with notices of Luminar 4 coming.. even last change to upgrade at a preferred price yet there was not a single notice or warning of this impending crisis.

The result is many of us has upgraded to Catalina unaware of the compatibility issue.   The lack of communication of what should have been a known problem is a credibility and trust issue that anyone using your software and company will now have.   For any that use it in their editing pipeline, this is a critical issue that can impact them or their business and as such is unacceptable.

What is required now is some firm commitments with real time lines associated in resolving the issue without having to purchase an upgrade as you can imagine anyone now will be very resistive to want to do.   Second, there should be direct communication to the rest of the user base via email, like the marketing we are getting, making all users aware of the situation.   I think this, at a bare minimum,  is required to salvage any customer faith in Skylum and start down the path of rehabilitating some customer good will.

Bill K

Hi Kate

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to learning the release date for the L3 fix.

Chase

So, I upgraded to Catalina...perhaps too early. Now I cannot edit my photos. I actually bought aurora hdr this morning and it works fine. I had no idea Luminar was broken. I have a client waiting for me to return photos. My only option is to figure out how to revert to mojave? That's ridiculous. Like many others have mentioned, why didn't skylum fix this issue before the official catalina release and if skylum could not fix it...then why didn't we all get a few emails warning us not to upgrade? You're going to lose customers over this. I like Luminar...but now I'm facing a decision. Revert back to mojave and see how that goes. Leave Luminar for Lightroom. Leave Luminar for Affinity. Will I get a refund for Luminar?

Anna V

Hi Chase, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Chase

Hi Anna, 

It's a serious inconvenience. I submitted two issues to support yesterday. It's the end of the day today and I haven't heard a word back. I've lost hours trying to figure this out. I'm in the middle of downgrading from Catalina back to Mojave so I can use Lumina and Aurora. Which requires me to back up my imac, wipe it clean, and then I can re-install mojave. And hope nothing else goes wrong. 

I can understand skylum not being ready or unable to resolve the catalina issue before catalina came out. What I don't understand is the complete lack of communication to all the Mac users. If I would have been alerted not to upgrade to Catalina until Skylum got it sorted out...that would have been ok. Instead, I've lost hours of time and had to delay delivering photos to several clients. I even edited a huge batch of photos from aurora with no errors. I went to open the jpegs and they're empty. I really hope I don't have to re-edit all of them. Then even more hours of time lost. 

Good communication is one of the MOST important things about a good business. I hope skylum can learn from this. They've got a good product, but it's not a great idea to consistently upset your customers, because skylum does have some serious competition. I'm sure skylum will lose a few customers over this and a few simple emails and alerts would prevent all of this frustration and lost time.

Chase

@kate

Are there any updates on the fix for Luminar 3 & aurora? downgrading from Catalina back to Mojave is a major pain. I'd love to not have to continue forward with that as my only option. 

Also...you said "The initial Luminar 4 release should be compatible with Catalina."....we're all wondering..."should?" Have you gotten confirmation on that yet? 

Angela Andrieux

Hi - I can confirm that Luminar 4 will be Catalina-ready, but I don't have an ETA on the updates for Luminar 3 and Aurora HDR quite yet.

Craig Herrick

It would be nice if you just came clean with the issue.  Right now I just don't trust you.  You have not been forthcoming with the issue.  

Justinian Neutag

emails advertising LUMINAR 4 - 3238

emails saying LUMINAR 3 doesnt work with the official mac OS Catalina - 0

I hope you work day and night on this, otherwise you are currently in the situation of a big mistake!

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Well, good news! Sorta. Apple released a supplemental update to macOS Catalina today and it appears it allows you to use Luminar 3 as an Apple Photos extension, that is, to save your edited files. *However,* once you end editing, the changes are permanent and will not show up in the Luminar 3 history, although it seems you can undo them with the Apple Photos "Revert to Original" command. Also, be careful with any Apple Live photos you edit. I got some very strange results with my one experience with those. After editing, both Apple Photos and Luminar 3 refused to allow any further editing, or restoring to original, saying it could't load some file it needed for that.

No relief for convenience users. Phtolemur still won't save as an Apple Photos extension. It will work as a standalone, however, know that as a standalone, file size increases, and all edits are destructive and cannot be undone.

Happy experimenting. LOL

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Summary of my experiments.

1. Luminar 3 will now work as an Apple Photos extension, but the only way to undo any Luminar 3 edits, once you have stopped editing, is globally with the Apple "Revert to Original" button in Apple Photos. upper left corner. But the file sizes are unaltered.

2. Luminar 3 will work as a standalone, but the file sizes when saving are huge, maybe too huge for your tastes. I dunno, but big files for sure cuz they have the edit history in them, I suppose. But curiously, when you export those huge files to Apple Photos, or use the "Open in Photos" workaround, or even re-import the files into Luminar 3, even though the files are large, you can't undo the edits.

So the goal for me would be to have Luminar 3 work inside Apple Photos non-destructively and without making large files. If Apple can do it, if Lightroom can do it - Skylum can do it. It would be nice if these fixes could be applied to Photolemur 3, as well, then we'd all be as well off as we were a week ago before macOS Catalina.

Also, has Luminar always created destructive (can't undo the edits) files when used as a standalone? I'm very new to Luminar, coming to it from Photolemur 2 and 3 which I used as an Apple Photos extension. Since Photolemur is a "one shot" filter, and since I could undo it with the Apple Photos "Revert to Original" command, I was happy.

Bill K

Lawrence - what version are you running?  I thought I have the latest and I can make edits but nothing can be saved unless I save to Photos which results in a massive tiff.

The only way to undo edits has always been Revert to Original when using L as a Photos Extension.

Please sign in to leave a comment.