MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned

Comments

65 comments

Louis Pengue

When I used the direct link you suggested (suggested earlier), I just got 3.1.3 as I said earlier - no 3.1.4. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Danny Bezak

The long wait and still not a usable program. Luminar 3 is still unusable since the Catelina update with 0 files in folders.

All excited now, as I have Luminar 4!! Oh,
    Wait a minute, Luminar 4 won’t let me import files either! 0 files in folders. Topping that off, trying to mask any edits (old photos, can’t access new ones), it crashes on the first click with the brush.

Manfred Hoss

You can try to uninstall the program with "App Cleaner" Reinstall and test. Worked for me.

But: Luminar 4 is very very slow. Much slower than Luminar 3. This is ridiculous because Luminar 4 has GPU Support, Luminar 3 don't. 

Christian Poulton

Alain, Capture One Pro does look very good, however the cost is prohibitive, at least for me.

Bowman Gray

SO, ABANDONING SOFTWARE THAT YOU JUST SOLD ME LESS THAN TWO YEARS AGO. NICE. 👍 

Louis Pengue

If you are having problems with the Library that was corrupted with Catalina (Both L3 & L4) and can't see, move or edit photos - if folders are grayed out or show "0" contents even though photos have been added . . .

Please try the following fix for the "Folders" linkage problem:

You can make the original folder with all of its edits and images work correctly again WITHOUT creating a new catalog. If you create a new catalog, any edits done will be lost. If you are importing new images, then a new catalog is an OK way to go.

To restore full operation of the original "Library" folder that was corrupted with Catalina, you need to open Luminar, go to the Library Tab on the right and right click on the top level Library folder and RENAME it from within Luminar. That will re-establish the folder linkages in the current Catalog that were lost with the Catalina upgrade. This works for both L3 and L4 Library Folders. I have done this for both my L3 and L4 Libraries after many months of trying to find a workaround that didn't require me to re-edit thousands of photos. Skylum Support has not found a fix yet. I posted this info on another thread last week and many have had success with this fix. At most you may have to restart Luminar for all to sync up. Once done, you will have restored full capability to move images around at will in and out of folders. Hope this works for you!!

I have informed Skylum Support of this method of fixing the Folder Linkage problem, but haven't seen them act on the info.

Regards - Louis

Shane Keller

Having the same issue since upgrading to Catalina. I cannot save photos using MacOS Photos and the Luminar 3 extension. It only provides an error. 

CARCANADE Jean-Michel

Good evening,
    I had the same problem. Unable to update. I have downloaded the.dmg. I was able to do the installation! Luminar 3.1.4 now works with Catalina. In plugin too.

Mark Johnson

Tried the new/old .DMG twice, nothing, still the same error as posted by Shane Keller above, will try a few more times tonight, maybe again in the morning, if no go i'll be asking for my money back I paid for Luminar 4 and looking for new software, it was good while it lasted Skylum.

Louis Pengue

I also had the update failure shown above. So I just tried the .dmg link suggested. It downloads just fine and when it was installed and then opened - surprise . . . 3.1.3 opens up. Not 3.1.4. Tried the update again - same failure!!

So I guess we're all still waiting for a fix.

Shane Keller

Solution FOR THE MAC running MacOS Catalina:

1. Download the update directly here: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

2. Click Install

3. When you get the error: "You do not have sufficient permission to the specified folder" click OK.

4. Select the Applications folder and click OK.

5. It should just install after that.

p.s. This appears to be a macOS Catalina problem - not a Skylum problem. The issue persists with other applications too. Apple released the most buggy major update I have seen in years. 

Kim Austin

@Louis Pengue

I totally agree.  Easy to blame Apple.

I'm not running Catalina, but I naturally tried to get the update when I turned L3 on this morning.  "An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later." Pathetic.  Imagine what L4 will be like.

Just downloaded the update. It says its up to date (3.1.4) but nothing has changed. I still can't add images to the library. 

I add the folder it's greyed out and shows 0 images.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Member,

look here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400/comments/360000855459 perhaps this could help you.

Louis Pengue

Thank you Anna. Appreciate the honesty. Looking forward to the update. 

Bill Lombardo

Hope you are losing a lot of money and customers.

Daniel Johnson

I too paid for L3 with the 4 update, on my Windows machine that is more than adequate, the software experience is terrible. Crashes and memory issues. I also deleted L3 on my iMac as I am just not into the issues I get.
    Over the past few months I’ve purchased on1 raw and it’s great.
    I’m very surprised that no one seems to ever mention Exposure X5, this is fantastic software in my opinion and the only one I have used that could get me away from Lightroom. Just waiting for sale to come around.

Daniel Johnson

I am running Catalina and have only just installed L4, I don’t have any issues on my Mac but I deleted catalogue and started fresh. So far it seems so much better than L3

RE: Bill Kinney: I updated to Luminar 4 with Catalina also. All of my prior issues are now gone. I was able to catalog, edit and export with no issues today. Photos extension also working with no issues. See https://twitter.com/JimOlsen9/status/1194288828015529984 for an example of Luminar Sky Replacement today. The Luminar 3.1.4 update a day or so ago also works fine now. Your issue may be more with Catalina now than with Luminar. I spent an hour or so on the phone with Apple support after installing Catalina with a Time Machine issue. They had me create and restart under a new user name and then again restart in Safe mode. Then deleted the new user and restarted under my normal startup and many Catalina problem issues were gone. That supposedly helps get rid of old prefs, etc. Maybe give that a try.

Shane Keller

The upgrade to Luminar 4 works great. I didn’t have to delete anything. During setup you have the option of creating a new catalog or upgrading the existing one in Luminar 4.

So far it works fine on Catalina and I like the new features and tweaks to existing ones. I do prefer the way HSL works on L3 but it is just a new way to use it. I’d like to create custom workflows but I haven’t seen how to do that yet,

All in all the transition from L3 to L4 was smooth.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bill,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll dig in to the issue and do whatever we can to get you up and running. 

CARCANADE Jean-Michel

Hello, for me everything seems to work in this version 4 with Catalina. However, my test was very fast. Some details are still annoying and this since version 3 :
    - The export to JPG is very long (in capture one it takes only 3 seconds)
    - Why can't I export automatically to Apple Photo?

For the rest, the new software is very pleasant to use. Thank you.

Manfred Hoss

For me, Luminar 4 is very slow! 11000 Fotos...Apple Photo is very snappy, Luminar slow, every Task, maybe 'next Photo'  in Edit Mode ist slow, the information Window in the bottom (Luminar Looks) changes after one second???? this is ridicules. Use Graphic Prozessor is ON. So I am not satisfied with this new version.

Wolfgang Jarcik

yes, I can only agree, even on my macbook, everything is very slow - and even slower than Luminar 3. I currently have only about 500 photos in the catalog and defies extremely disappointing.

Helena Carter

Mark,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you or issue a refund if you prefer so. 

David Ashley

I'm using Luminar 4 as an extension to Photos on macOS 10.15 (having 'upgraded' from Luminar Flex at some expense).

If I change a sky (especially if it's one of my own) then, frequently, but not always, the edits will not save (the 'save changes' button does not respond).

I'm not the only one experiencing this issue and would request that it is addressed urgently.

NOTE: If I use the Skylum workaround I end up with TIF files 4 times the size of the original.

Kate Williams

Hi David ,

This is not something commonly reported to our tech team. Therefore, we'd like to take a closer look at the issue. 

Please provide us with the following information via https://skylum.com/support:

Please send us a screen recording of the issue. Here's how to record your screen on Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording and the original files you're working with:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Moreover, please collect the log from console: 

1. In Finder, navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    2. Start Console.
    3. Type in Luminar in Console's search bar in the upper right and press Enter on your keyboard.
    4. Start Luminar and try reproducing the issue. Make sure to note all the steps you perform in the app that cause the issue.
    5. Go back to Console, select all entries in it (to do so you can press CMD+A on your keyboard) and press CMD+C on your keyboard to copy them to clipboard.
    6. Create a new text document and paste (CMD+V) the contents of the clipboard there.
    7. Send us the text document you created in Step 6.

Hope to hear from you soon.

David Ashley

Thanks Kate. I've done as requested. The information has been provided in a support ticket.

I hope this gets fixed quickly.

Oops - I copied all the text from Console into the support ticket instead of into a text document first. I can send a text doc when the tech team communicates with me.

Helena Carter

Hello again.

Please, check this post: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006385539

Also, please, try using an alternate installer: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

If nothing helps, please, contact our Support Team via the contact form mentioned in the post.

Anna V

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. 

Luminar 3 is still not fully compatible with Catalina. 

We are aware of the issue with Import and we will do our best to fix it very soon. 

Post is closed for comments.