MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned

Comments

65 comments

Kim Austin

@Louis Pengue

I totally agree.  Easy to blame Apple.

I'm not running Catalina, but I naturally tried to get the update when I turned L3 on this morning.  "An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later." Pathetic.  Imagine what L4 will be like.

Comment actions Permalink

Just downloaded the update. It says its up to date (3.1.4) but nothing has changed. I still can't add images to the library. 

I add the folder it's greyed out and shows 0 images.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Member,

look here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400/comments/360000855459 perhaps this could help you.

Anna V

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. 

Luminar 3 is still not fully compatible with Catalina. 

We are aware of the issue with Import and we will do our best to fix it very soon. 

Louis Pengue

Thank you Anna. Appreciate the honesty. Looking forward to the update. 

Bill Lombardo

Hope you are losing a lot of money and customers.

Daniel Johnson

I too paid for L3 with the 4 update, on my Windows machine that is more than adequate, the software experience is terrible. Crashes and memory issues. I also deleted L3 on my iMac as I am just not into the issues I get.
    Over the past few months I’ve purchased on1 raw and it’s great.
    I’m very surprised that no one seems to ever mention Exposure X5, this is fantastic software in my opinion and the only one I have used that could get me away from Lightroom. Just waiting for sale to come around.

Bill Kinney

Guess what everybody, LUMINAR 4 isn't compatible with Catalina either!  It has exactly the same issues...  This is really hopeless.  I can't edit or catalog any photos with LUMINAR unless I use out of date software on my computer?  Sigh...  And no timeline to fix yet either.  

All you Windows users, what do you think will happen with the next major update of YOUR operating system?  Are you SURE this software will work?

Daniel Johnson

I am running Catalina and have only just installed L4, I don’t have any issues on my Mac but I deleted catalogue and started fresh. So far it seems so much better than L3

RE: Bill Kinney: I updated to Luminar 4 with Catalina also. All of my prior issues are now gone. I was able to catalog, edit and export with no issues today. Photos extension also working with no issues. See https://twitter.com/JimOlsen9/status/1194288828015529984 for an example of Luminar Sky Replacement today. The Luminar 3.1.4 update a day or so ago also works fine now. Your issue may be more with Catalina now than with Luminar. I spent an hour or so on the phone with Apple support after installing Catalina with a Time Machine issue. They had me create and restart under a new user name and then again restart in Safe mode. Then deleted the new user and restarted under my normal startup and many Catalina problem issues were gone. That supposedly helps get rid of old prefs, etc. Maybe give that a try.

Bill Kinney

Member:  I don't have any "Catalina" issues.  Everything works fine, just not Luminar.  

Daniel Johnson: The idea that I have to delete my former catalog and all my edits on thousands of photos to make a new version work is only trivially better than not working at all.. If I have to throw out my old catalog, I'll just throw out the software with it. 

Shane Keller

The upgrade to Luminar 4 works great. I didn’t have to delete anything. During setup you have the option of creating a new catalog or upgrading the existing one in Luminar 4.

So far it works fine on Catalina and I like the new features and tweaks to existing ones. I do prefer the way HSL works on L3 but it is just a new way to use it. I’d like to create custom workflows but I haven’t seen how to do that yet,

All in all the transition from L3 to L4 was smooth.

Bill Kinney

I guess since I never was able to get L3 (even the last update) to work on Catalina, you could catagorize my upgrade as "smooth".  I DID tell L4 to convert the catalogs, and they convert just fine, but no photos added since the Catalina upgrade are visible in the Library.  Adding new photos with L4 does exactly the same thing, they are imported, and the directories show as empty in L4 librry, but the photos are there in Finder.  I can't edit them in any way.

They DO show up in the "Recent Photos" link... but that's not really helpful...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bill,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll dig in to the issue and do whatever we can to get you up and running. 

CARCANADE Jean-Michel

Hello, for me everything seems to work in this version 4 with Catalina. However, my test was very fast. Some details are still annoying and this since version 3 :
    - The export to JPG is very long (in capture one it takes only 3 seconds)
    - Why can't I export automatically to Apple Photo?

For the rest, the new software is very pleasant to use. Thank you.

Manfred Hoss

For me, Luminar 4 is very slow! 11000 Fotos...Apple Photo is very snappy, Luminar slow, every Task, maybe 'next Photo'  in Edit Mode ist slow, the information Window in the bottom (Luminar Looks) changes after one second???? this is ridicules. Use Graphic Prozessor is ON. So I am not satisfied with this new version.

Wolfgang Jarcik

yes, I can only agree, even on my macbook, everything is very slow - and even slower than Luminar 3. I currently have only about 500 photos in the catalog and defies extremely disappointing.

Danny Bezak

The long wait and still not a usable program. Luminar 3 is still unusable since the Catelina update with 0 files in folders.

All excited now, as I have Luminar 4!! Oh,
    Wait a minute, Luminar 4 won’t let me import files either! 0 files in folders. Topping that off, trying to mask any edits (old photos, can’t access new ones), it crashes on the first click with the brush.

Manfred Hoss

You can try to uninstall the program with "App Cleaner" Reinstall and test. Worked for me.

But: Luminar 4 is very very slow. Much slower than Luminar 3. This is ridiculous because Luminar 4 has GPU Support, Luminar 3 don't. 

Helena Carter

Hi Manfred,

Thanks for your feedback. In the initial Luminar 4 release we decided to make an accent on new Tools and features, however, we're currently working on performance improvements and we plan to release an update by the end of the year to deliver the best editing experience to our customers.

Wolfgang Jarcik

And again the same Statement as always.

Kim Austin

@Helena -- so you're admitting that Skylum released software that isn't up to speed in terms of its performance, and there'll be another update before year's end to improve on what should have been there from the start?  All so the new Tools would be there (which by the way, from the comments I've seen, have issues of their own). I would have thought that performance of the product would be of the utmost importance, because without that, we may as well shut up shop and go elsewhere.

Bowman Gray

YEAR END IS COMING QUICKLY. I HAVE SERIOUS DOUBTS THAT FIXES FOR L4, AURORA HDR (PRO, 2017, 2018, & 2019) WILL BE FORTHCOMING. NOT ONE APOLOGY, NOT ONE ATTEMPT TO OFFER SOMETHING TO THOSE OF US WHO HAVE BEEN LOYAL CUSTOMERS FOR YEARS. 

Manfred Hoss

Memory Usage:

Luminar Memory after Start 1.13 GB

Affinity Photo Memory after Start 211.8 MB

Apple Photo Memory after Start 165.7 MB

CPU Usage:

Luminar Start 100% for  7 Seconds

Affinity Photo 74% for 2 Seconds

Apple Photo 64% for 2 Seconds

Alain Mathys

With all the troubles I got with Luminar 3 I decided not to purchase Luminar 4 but to try other photo editing applications. I am now using Capture One Pro. Yes it is more expensive than Luminar, but it works like a Swiss watch! Very good library system to manage your photos, complete editing tools, with layers, etc. When I read continuing complaints on this thread I can only be very happy of my choice and recommend other people to do so. No more frustration!

Helena Carter

Bowman,

We indeed plan releasing an update by the end of the year and our developers are working on it.

As to Aurora HDR Pro, 2017 and 2018, they are legacy products and won't be updated anymore. Aurora HDR 2019 is the latest and supported version.

Christian Poulton

Alain, Capture One Pro does look very good, however the cost is prohibitive, at least for me.

Bowman Gray

SO, ABANDONING SOFTWARE THAT YOU JUST SOLD ME LESS THAN TWO YEARS AGO. NICE. 👍 

Mark Johnson

Like a few people on here, I too have gone to Capture 1, and it's very good, bit expensive, but hey you get what you pay for, I paid for L4 but will never download it and i'm sure will never get my money back either.

Helena Carter

Mark,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you or issue a refund if you prefer so. 

Post is closed for comments.