MacOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility

Pinned Featured

Comments

61 comments

Lloyd O'Daniel

Your apps aren't "fully compatible" with Mojave or Windows 10 either. I know, because I was using Mojave until about 6 months ago when I switched back to Windows. I've had numerous problems on both platforms. You really didn't need to state the obvious.

Comment actions Permalink
    Andrew Mercer

Whhaaat?!
    Catalina has been in pre-release and available to developers for months .... and you haven't had time to test it or issue an update? My other imaging software (Affinity) issued updates weeks ago.

In the meantime you've been spamming me with propaganda saying how wonderful Luminar 4 is gonna be ... but you didn't think to email registered Mac users of Luminar 3 advising them of issues ahead of time? I'm guessing Mac users like me are headed to this site after upgrading to Catalina to figure out why they can no longer bring new images into Luminar 3.

Is there an ETA?

Sigh - I guess the next website I'm off to right now is Capture One.  :-(

Anastasia Davis

Hi Andrew! There is no ETA yet. As we mentioned, we will release updates with Catalina OS support until the end of the year.

Andrew Mercer

So for now, Luminar 3 is basically unusable. I can't import images, or edit them. I expect there are a lot of other Mac users in the same boat. I only just got the software a few weeks ago after seeing some reviews and going through your website. Although I was using Photoshop then Affinity Photos, I was looking for a batch editing tool and something to replace Aperture as a catalogue tool since I knew Catalina was going to break that. I didn't want to go the Adobe route.

If you're advertising/selling Mac software you need to prepare ahead of time for the new OS releases which are available in pre-release from Apple way ahead of time for testing. It seems that someone at Skylum just isn't planning or thinking ahead. Its pretty disappointing.

At least my Sony camera gives me a free Express version of Capture One so that's what I need to use now.

Andrew Mercer

... PS: If you try to manually import images into Luminar 3, it sets the file sizes to zero and basically destroys the image files. Not good at all.

K. Wuensch

Andrew, these kinds of failures arte normal for Skylum software... They have a well documented that when new software is in the pipeline the old one is a goner - best of all, all indications given until today point to Luminar 3 being a dead end already because Luminar 4 has a different editing pipeline which will in all likelihood be unable to correctly process edits from Luminar 3...

Christian Poulton

Luckily I haven’t upgraded my home iMac as yet to Catalina so I’m ok BUT my work MacBook Pto I have to upgrade so as to be fully Cyber Essentials + compliant. This means I can no longer use Luminar at work. This is really unacceptable. All other major and most minor software developers have updated their software to be Catalina compatible. Sorry Skylum, you’ve dropped a big one here!

Alain Mathys

Such a shame. Luminar is promoting extensively version 4, but is unable so far to solve the issue of importing photos in the Library with Catalina OS. This is just a new flaw (there were so many) with Luminar Library system in which I lost several time my editings. Like all the other users posting comments, I am very upset and disappointing, and I not going to buy Luminar 4. You may good at marketing, but much less on coding and fixing technical issues.

Mr.E

The skylum silence is deafening. Not even the courage to admit their mistakes.

We know there is issues with the software running on Catalina. Unfortunately, I updated already because I wasn't tracking that there would be compatibility issues with Catalina and Luminar 3 is the only 3rd party software I have installed and it never crossed my mind that there would be issues with. What myself, and I'm sure others would like to know, is when the issues will be fixed, as in an actual date or like by the end month (October). If your software was free then I could live with that, however it has a premium price tag and think it is unacceptable that an issue like not being able to import anymore photos could possibly take until the end of the year. Luminar 3 is the only editing software I use and currently is useless to me because I am unable to import anymore photos to edit. If Skylum cannot give a more accurate timeline of when this and some other issues are going fixed than I will be switching software because I need software that I can actually edit my pictures. 

Anyone have any recommendations on alternative photo editing software? I used Lightroom CC before, but I do not want to pay a monthly subscription. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance to either of the issues above.

EDIT: Just as I finished up this post Skylum support got back to me and provided steps to fix the issue. I ended up losing the photos I was importing after I updated to Catalina, but luckily they were just photos I wanted to play around with in Luminar. I also do not have any of the edits that I had previously made on photos, however that could be my own fault after trying to get it to work while I waited for support to get back to me. After I followed the steps provided by them everything seems to be working as it did before thankfully.

Here are the steps customer support provided to me:

• Download AppCleaner from here (click this text to open link).
    • Install AppCleaner and start it.
    • Drag Luminar from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.
    • Once you've uninstalled Luminar, restart your Mac and download a fresh version of Luminar from here (click this text to open link).

Not sure if the links will work on the post but I'm sure ya'll can find AppCleaner and Luminar lol.

K. Wuensch

If I were you I would go back to the tried and trusted subscription, they have an active interest to always have a compatible version available and it can always be the current version because that’s what you get in your subscription - you’ll never have to worry to lose your edits as long as the company exists. With Luminar 3 you can already count the days when you’ll lose your previous edits as Luminar 4 has a different rendering pipeline and thus your Luminar 3 will be not fully compatible.

I stil have .luminar files from Luminar 2017 which were already falsely interpreted in Luminar 2018. Even during the lifetime of the ill fated 2018 version they changed rendering at least 3 times - every time I lost edits. Then came Luminar 3 which ditched the .luminar storage format. And Luminar 4 will have a different rendering again. Thus Luminar shows a total lack of respect to the users efforts. Adobe on the other hand has changed rendering 6 times over it’s lifetime - but preserved the existing edits without a single failure, continuity was maintained.

Jim Olsen

The Luminar 3 plugin for Mac Photos won't work since the Catalina upgrade. I can edit in the plugin, but get an error when I try to save changes and can't export. The stand alone Luminar 3 program works OK with NEF or JPG photos. All software programs are the most current versions.

K. Wuensch

@Jim, you’ll have to wait until they issue a fixed version - which is announced to come by the end of the year...

Andrew Mercer

Thanks, K. Wuensch. Yes - I got nervous about Skylum after reading blogs and community forum comments. The marketing material makes it look like the greatest thing since sliced bread - then a promotion for both Luminar 3 and 4. The software actually looked pretty good, especially for someone who's been messed around by Apple's dropping of Aperture soon after I bought that product (although at least they kept it usable for a while).

Users definitely don't seem happy. According to Wikipedia it looks like Skylum was founded in Ukraine ... which probably explains a lot in the current climate. Disorganised and questionable veracity. Marketing to get new users is fine - but if your existing users are unhappy and you can't keep them then things won't end well.

I'll see what happens but waiting two and a half months for the product to be functional again, and high risk of it corrupting my image files (as it has already) means that I'll likely end up with Capture One going forward. The Express version that I got with my Sony A7R IV camera looks okay although I'm not yet used to the UI. I'll play with it further then probably upgrade to the Pro version. It's more expensive but at least it actually works.

Sad for Skylum, their users, and their employees. It looks like they have some decent designers and programmers - but the "suits" and management are letting everyone down by being disorganised and lacking basic business skills.

Bowman Gray

Fix by end of the year.... not very helpful for the three months where we need to find a workaround or have to buy another software package... And they are abandoning the HDR Pro and working to abandon Luminar 3? Wow - teaching a public class on how to piss off your long-time customers. Very very disappointing.  

Danny Bezak

I sent this to Skylum support:

I am more than disappointed!! I have upgraded my Mac to Catalina and since doing so, Luminar 3 and Flex are having major issues. You can no longer import files and or folders into Luminar. The folders show, but are greyed out and no images to be seen or edited.

You have been boasting this program as well as the upcoming Luminar 4 and trying to win over Lightroom and Photoshop users and you won me over a while back, but now we are left in the dust with no where to edit our images since the Catalina update. It was in beta for quite a long time. The purpose for beta's, is for developers to also test their software, and thus prepare and be ready for the full release of the OS. Obviously this hasn't happened!! When will this be fixed? Myself as well as many others now have no where to edit images! What are we supposed to do, jump ship and leave Skylum in the dust like you did to us? I saw in your forum that a fix should be coming by the end of the year. That is roughly 79 days from now! Now let's think about this. You are getting ready to release Luminar 4 here shortly, and expect current users to be happy and stay with you through all this, when you can't seem to keep your current software up and running properly?

I also purchased the prerelease of Luminar 4 and thinking strongly about canceling that mistake if this issue can't be resolved quickly!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Dan Bezak

Xris Tzu

Luminar is UNUSABLE! 

Clean install of Mac Catalina 10.15 on a 2018 Mac Book Pro Touch 15" with Radeon 560 and 16gb ram.

Ended up deleting Luminar trial as it was painful to use, the fans on my MacBook didn't stop roaring like a jet plane, even Lighroom wasn't the bad. 

Alain Mathys

To Dany: Try Capture One, there is a trial version for 30 days. I downloaded it as an alternative to Luminar and I am so happy for the stability and performance of Capture One. Of course, it's expensive, compared to Luminar, but you have access to a lot to tutorials and webinars, so for the price you pay, you have a photo editing professional application and a very extensive course on photo editing. What is cheap (like Luminar) if often too cheap, here you have an obvious demonstration.

Xris Tzu

I'm trying Affinity and shocked how smooth and responsive it is for me. 

Much faster than Lighroom and leave Luminar in the dust speed wise, although Luminar does have a much nicer interface.

Helena Carter

For everyone encountering issues with Catalina.

We've just got a word from our Technical department and they told us that an update with fix will be released as soon as possible.

Please, stay tuned!

Shane Keller

Having the same issue since upgrading to Catalina. I cannot save photos using MacOS Photos and the Luminar 3 extension. It only provides an error. 

Mark Johnson

Tried to install the 3.1.4 and that won't install, says error trying to install try again later, i've already paid for Luminar 4 but starting to wish I hadn't, i've managed to get my photos into Luminar from my Sony A7RlV but every time I shut down Luminar and restart it it doubles or triples my photos, I now have 600+ of all the same photos in my trash of which I can't even delete, it says it can't delete them because they don't exist, and guest what, they do exist because I can see every dam one of them.

Shane Keller

The Luminar 3.1.4 will not update on MacOS Catalina:

WATCH VIDEO OF INSTALLATION: https://nimb.ws/p8Gwdq 

Helena Carter

Hello again.

Please, check this post: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006385539

Also, please, try using an alternate installer: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

If nothing helps, please, contact our Support Team via the contact form mentioned in the post.

CARCANADE Jean-Michel

Good evening,
    I had the same problem. Unable to update. I have downloaded the.dmg. I was able to do the installation! Luminar 3.1.4 now works with Catalina. In plugin too.

Mark Johnson

Tried the new/old .DMG twice, nothing, still the same error as posted by Shane Keller above, will try a few more times tonight, maybe again in the morning, if no go i'll be asking for my money back I paid for Luminar 4 and looking for new software, it was good while it lasted Skylum.

Louis Pengue

I also had the update failure shown above. So I just tried the .dmg link suggested. It downloads just fine and when it was installed and then opened - surprise . . . 3.1.3 opens up. Not 3.1.4. Tried the update again - same failure!!

So I guess we're all still waiting for a fix.

Shane Keller

Solution FOR THE MAC running MacOS Catalina:

1. Download the update directly here: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

2. Click Install

3. When you get the error: "You do not have sufficient permission to the specified folder" click OK.

4. Select the Applications folder and click OK.

5. It should just install after that.

p.s. This appears to be a macOS Catalina problem - not a Skylum problem. The issue persists with other applications too. Apple released the most buggy major update I have seen in years. 

Louis Pengue

I had no permissions question, just an Update Failure. I think it still a Skylum problem. 

Louis Pengue

When I used the direct link you suggested (suggested earlier), I just got 3.1.3 as I said earlier - no 3.1.4. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.