Lag in DAM

Comments

5 comments

Anna V

Hi Mitchel, 

We will do our best to improve the performance of Luminar in both Luminar 3 and Luminar 4. 

For now,  please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tim Gillespie

Hey G:

I want to warn you about Drobo. I had three of them going back at least 10 years. The old ones held up far better than the new ones but there are additional hidden problems in the architecture that can and eventually will ruin your library.

I am telling all clients to get off the platform now! In the circles I run in, my advice is revered.

My advice: Get off the platform now. I like to repeat myself. I don't know why.

Rationale: Starting around 2012, Data Robotics was sold, they are now Called Drobo. Sold 5 times in about 5 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drobo

The entry has been clanged a little.

One was a VC technological company that almost certainly harvested most of the intellectual property. No biggie, happens from time to time. That is an opinion.

Here is the problem. Drobo has a proprietary architecture, specifically their encrypted data structure. If you experience a problem with the enclosure, it is quite common to see all of the data on the array lost! With no hope of getting it back. If you go into Drobo Tech Support, which I did, and ask for help, here is what you get.

Use Disk Warrior to mount the array and try and temporarily rebuild the drive structure long enough to get your data out.  I figured that out by myself. But when I rebuilt the array the entire array failed again within 2 hours. Again everything was lost and I could rebuild using Disk Warrior (an absolute must for serious addicts).

When I asked Tech Support what the available options are, they said there are none. I then asked why you would ask for $50 to tell that to people. No answer! Here is the bottom line. They have no tech support anymore. None. They know only as much as I do. No more.

If that does not convince you, go look up Scott Kelby's comments about giving up on Drobo. When you read it, it is imperative to understand that the glowing things he has to say about the C.E.O at the time. That guy left at least 5 C.E.O.'s ago. And everything is in a pile of waste now.

GET OFF NOW!

What is that you say? And go where? No worries buddy. There is a GREAT SOLUTION. I have two of them.

Synology DS418PLAY disk array media servers.

Simply the best and lightning fast. They are media servers, not stupid slow, encrypted arrays. They hook right into your router and I am absolutely delighted with them and their long history of delighting their customers. I got no link to them or their money. Other than giving them some.

I am telling you out of Love for my fellow human being and also because I cannot believe they are still selling these defective devices. And man are they dangerous! Just my two cents, ignore it at your own risk!

Take care man!

Tim G.

G Mitchell

Thanks for you input Tim. G. I know Drobo had some problems in the early years and I read Scott Kelby'd blog on it in 2012.  But since new management and a new CEO took over Scott has come back in 2017 on a trail bases and says he is happy with what he has experienced so far. Most of their problems was customer service some what like we are experiencing with Skylum right now. All raid systems have their own proprietary systems in software and hardware.  I have had this Drobo 5D3 1 1/2 years so far so good. My only problem was one of my 4 TB WD Gold drive was reported by Drobo to have a sector issue but no worries those drives have a 5 year warranty so Im gonna have that one replaced . And with Drobo it docent have to even be the same drive or size. I also have the 5 year service warranty from Drobo so if the unit it self goes wayward They will ship a new unit over night. They keys is not all the eggs in one basket. My Drobo Unit along with another drive get backed to Backblaze on a continual daily bases and I also back up the Drobo to another backup drive with Super Duper over night.  Yea the Drobo is not the fastest but I have no issues with performance running it thru Thunderbolt 3. Im able to use Aperture 3,  Affinity Photo, Apple photos Topaz FCPX  all with out any lag or glitches. I love Luminar3, Flex and Arurora but the DAM is a subpar portion of the software that has tainted the great work that has gone into the rest of the software. Let's see if they get it right with version 4. Have a great week.

Tim Gillespie

Your experience is just about normal. The real question I would ask you, it soon like you have solved. And that is what will you do when you walk in and find all red blinking lights. Chances are the drive you are returning is fine. It is Drobo that has a hard time reading it. 

Mark my words, your drive will fail. But at least you have a backup of that. My library is way too big for that. 

The drive will fail and it will take everything with it. Seen it too many times.

Just trying to help.

Tim G.

p.s. Your warranty is worthless.

G Mitchell

" Your warranty is worthless"  (As is your jaded opinion).  "The drive will fail and it will take everything with it. Seen it too many times"  (All drives fail duh !)  I run  4,  4TB WD Gold Drives. Im sure I will loose them one by one over time 5 year warranties on these and when that runs out I will purchase as they fail out of warranty .  If the unit it self goes I will have an overnight replacement compliments of my 5 year extended service warranty.  If anyone thinks they can't have a failed raid system no matter the manufacture they are kidding themselves. Also many people make the mistake of depending on the raid system as one of their backups  instead of a storage system. I won't ever make that mistake and I will never loose my data because of the proper 3 types of backups. Back Blaze, (Super Duper rotated drives on sight and off sight)  and Time Machine.  No need for you to be defensive and snarky when responding to  others views that you disagree with.  🙄 

Please sign in to leave a comment.