Luminar Flex edits won't save in Mac Catalina

Comments

53 comments

Jeremy Tyree

A workaround takes more steps but gives you the same results.  Obviously, this is not the case.  Would have been prudent to have waited to upgrade to Catalina as was amply warned by multiple sources.  Because I just couldn't wait, have this issue, which I deem as a major bug, but find that Canon Print Studio Pro won't work on this release either.  Can't print on my large printer with quality without it.  Wonder what other compatibility/bug issues await.  

Comment actions Permalink
    Urban Wilde

i have tried the workaround in Photos using L3 and Flex. But once i have edited with L3 in Photos, there is no command "open in photos". Where can i find that command?

Jeremy Tyree

Urban, it's under the file menu.

Urban Wilde

thanks Jeremy, 
    Since i have L3 and Flex as a plug in in Mac Photos, i was searching for "open in Photos" from there but couldn't find such command. I later tried editing directly within L3, where indeed there is such a command under the "File" menu.

Jeremy Tyree

Urban, I have L3 as well.  When you are in Apple Photos, instead of selecting "edit" and taking the L3 extension, are you selecting "image" from the command bar and then "edit with" then grabbing Luminar 3?  If you take the extension, "open with" will not be available to you.  If you look back far enough in this sad forum entry, you will see that I had made this mistake before being corrected.  

Janet Welty

Really disappointed with this.  Going on vacation and thought I would edit as I went.  Well, that isn’t gonna happen.  Takes too much time to do one picture.  Then it saves to a tiff.  So, to use photo logo, you have to save on desktop and export as a jpg.  Than I land up with he original in Mac Photos along with the adjusted photo which can’t be reverted to original.  My boss would have fired me for allowing this to happen to customers.  I like luminar, but not this much

Arturo Prendez

The problem is with all Skylum software in the new Mac operating system "Catalina"
    For now we are in the oven is just waiting!

Anthony Maistrovich

it appears that Skylum is ignoring its loyal customer base. I get lots of emails touting Luminar 4; nothing about fixing existing problems. For Mac Catalina users, they bricked the whole Skylum photo family. I just returned from an overseas vacation with thousands of photos. While I was among the first to sign up for Luminar 4, I am looking at competitive software options…companies that give their existing customers a higher priority than new ones.

Helga Rowles

Hi Barnes, we've already released a compatibility update for Luminar 3.

David Ashley

Helga Rowles

..... but not for Luminar Flex. Why?

Colin Grant

I suspect because Flex is now yesterdays news and all the functionality is included in L4. Also L3 works well as a Photos extension now the update is out. Why not use L3? Do you not have a copy? To be honest I just do not understand why Flex was launched - it has not even lasted a year! I guess Skylum might well say Flex is a plugin and does that job (works with Lr and Ps). On the other hand an extension to Photos is not a plugin, it is a function that L3 provides.

Anthony Maistrovich

I misstated my problem by not including enough background. I have almost 50K photos in my Apple Photos database; they are filed using both my own file system (geography-based folders using continents, countries, and trips) and Apple's date system (complete with titles, keywords, descriptions, and locations). I use this system because I can easily access my photos on either my laptop and my iPhone.

I have been using three editing program as Apple Photos plug-ins: Aurora HDR 2019 (which excels because it bit-maps color), Photolemur 3 (which gives quick and easy one-click edits), and L3/Luminar Flex (which does some things better). I often use Apple Photos as a final tweak because its colors better match what I saw. While all of the Skylum plug-in programs will allow me to edit, none will allow me to save the edited photo. I have the latest versions of all my software. Moving out of the Apple Photos is a deal breaker. 

Ken McEwen

The benefit of Luminar Flex is seen when you open a photograph in Photos using Flex as a plugin. I presume because it is a smaller program, it opens much quicker than Luminar 3, meaning that those of us with older, less-powerful computers can get on with the editing rather than waiting for the full Luminar 3 program to load. (That said, I am having to use Luminar 3 as a plugin all the time at the moment, because of the Catalina problem with Flex.)

Colin Grant

Flex does not open any quicker than L3 when working via Photos, not in my experience. In any event it no longer works with Photos and I have doubts whether it ever will. @Anthony, L3 will save edits back to Photos when used as an extension. The update to version 3.1.4 fixed the problem and I have used it with Photos many times. Don't know re the other programs as I do not use them - cannot personally see any mileage at all in having them all but we all do tings differently.

Jeremy Tyree

L3 Apple Photos extension works just fine.  Thanks for the update.  Now, if you guys can just release a similar fix for Aurora HDR, I would be a happy camper.  With landscape photos often use both products, so at this point am half way there.  

Anthony Maistrovich

Yes L3 works, but it doesn't do the lens correction for my camera, a Sony RX100 M6. I have found that each program handles specific things better…once I got a feel for which works best in what situation, I use it first to get the results I am looking for. If L3 worked best in all situations, Skylum wouldn't need the other software. Hopefully, Skylum will eventually come up with "one program to rule them all."

Colin Grant

But if you are using Photos the lens correction can be done there surely? In any event you have never mentioned lens correction before that I can see. Flex does not do decent lens correction either, its coverage will be the same as L3. Not sure what you are trying to say anyway. In your earlier post you said none of the Skylum app will let you save back to Photos, now you are saying L3 works. You seem confused!

Anthony Maistrovich

The bottom line is that none of the Skylum programs work any more without some sort of workaround, which hasn't been the case in the past. While the devil is in the details, there is no confusion on my part.

Colin Grant

But L3 works perfectly well as a Photos extension. As I said you appear confused and unable to put across a credible argument why L3 does not work with Photos. As a dam of course L3 is rubbish but you do not need that functionality as you have Photos.

R Whynot

This is gross. I bought the plugin and less than 6 months later the company dropped support and now my only option is to buy more software (L3/4)? Fooled me once.

Colin Grant

The release of Flex was always slightly odd to say the least, given that L4 and L3 worked as Lr plugins. I thought it might be a way of slimming down the plugin code but perhaps it just gave them something else to sell! Why not try a for a refund if you are unhappy? You never know..........

Helena Carter

Hi R Whynot,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we will see what we can do for you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.