Luminar 4: No more workspaces - Can we still have custom Grouped Filters in a Custom Tab?

Answered

Comments

22 comments

Peter Gladstein

I have the same question plus what happens to the Tonality workspace?

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Shane,

The editing interface in Luminar 4 has been changed in a way that we hope will make filters easier to find and use. However,  custom workspaces will no longer be possible.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

The Tonality workspace will no longer be useable but all of the filters/tools in that workspace will still be accessible.

Peter Gladstein

So how did you like the play Mrs Lincoln?

Peter Gladstein

One more question - why do you not have public betas?

Ross Collins

Some would say every release is a beta test!

Anton Bryanskiy

This is really bad news. You say, «Focus on the filters you’re working with and don’t get distracted by all the others». But custom workspace was exactly the way to work in uncluttered environment with needed filters in needed order! :-(

Anastasia Davis

Hi Anton! You will try out Luminar 4 and understand how intuitive and comfortable the new Interface is. Thus, don't worry :)

Shane Keller

Hello Anastasia Davis,

I have built custom workflows around the custom workspaces, as I am sure many people have. So naturally, this announcement is going to get some attention. Whether or not the new interface is intuitive and comfortable - it is our workflows that are a concern. In other words, users have adapted to custom workspaces and would like to keep the ability to create workflows.

Thank you,

Shane

Helga Rowles

Hi Shane, please give it a try once Luminar 4 is released. I really hope you'll love the new interface, but if you don't - you'll be able to get a refund for Luminar 4 (our money back guarantee will cover 30 days after the release) and continue using Luminar 3.

Shane Keller

Hello Helga, I will give L4 a whirl and provide feedback. I am looking forward to the new AI features and improvements in the new ones.

Have a great day!
    Shane

Jonathan Drake

Hi there, just installed L4 thanks to my pre-order status. Performance has been MUCH improved, so thank you very VERY much for that. The lack of custom workspaces, however, was noticed immediately. While I do see some benefit to the new organization (the pop-out tab was annoying), I also find that the lack of ability to customize is a pretty significant downgrade. Overall a big improvement, but man, do I really wish I had my custom workspace back!

Shane Keller

Same here. L4 is good but the lack of Custom Workspaces and that pop-out is disappointing. I need those back because editing is definitely a slower process without the workspaces now.

Anton Bryanskiy

Well, Anastasia, to sum up, I tried out what was obvious from the start and can confirm that the new interface is not intuitive and not comfortable (for me; I understand that I'm in minority and not in your target audience anymore).

Now I’m waiting my money back.

Shane Keller

Anton Bryanskiy - I don't think you are in the minority target market. I had all my creative staff purchase Luminar 3 a year ago (25 people) and reimbursed them. They all use the custom workspaces as I do for processing tons of images for social media use for our brand customers. I used to promote Luminar to get more people using it so the community of creators produce higher quality LUTS and presets that can be shared. I am worried all of us serious users are left out now. I don't want to have to change my entire team over to a new software but the lack of customization will degrade our workflow if L3 becomes obsolete and Skylum does not bring back Custom Workspaces (amongst other missing things) to L4. 

Anton Bryanskiy

Thank you for your support, Shane. Who knows, maybe professional users like you will persuade Skylum…

alex zelinskiy

Missing custom workspace is really disappointing in late version. I would rather stick to Luminar 3 in most cases to speed up things.

Tomaso Belloni

I definitely agree with the comments posted here. I myself without custom workspaces will not move to Luminar 4, which means on the long run I will be forced to leave Luminar 3 as well. It is a pity because I find it an exceptionally good software.
    I do not see how removing a feature that allows customization to replace it with a fixed organization of tools can be considered an advancement. It simply removes functionality. Moreover and perhaps even more important, the tools in the workspace were all open, allowing you to see what was applied at a single glance. *No* tool should be closed, unless specifically requested by the user. The tools are even grouped in bunches, so that to access a tool one needs first to locate it in one of those menus, then open it. With Luminar 4 to do what I usually do will take me so much more time that it is definitely not worth upgrading.
    I am not sure who came up with the idea of removing functionality to make the user happier, but it's probably the same person who decided to put the file name on top of the list of clickable avaliable tools to that it looks like one of them, to add some confusion (I tried the first version, so this might have been changed).

Elena Blum

Hi Tomaso,

Thanks to the new organization of tools into bookmarks in the right Edit panel, it’s now easier and faster to find the tools you’re looking for.

In Luminar 3, there were a lot of small filters (over 45), and adding filters was a complicated and slow process. Workspaces were used to speed it up.In addition, Luminar 3 Workspaces were impossible to use with Looks. Looks always changed the Workspace, which confused users.In Luminar 4, bookmarks on the right panel allow you to quickly and easily find tools, which are now grouped by type.Essentials – The main tools for color correction and tone correction as well as for RAW processing
    Creative – Creative photo processing tools
    Portrait – Tools for working with portraits
    Professional – More sophisticated tools for finer adjustments.

You can check the table of correspondence between filters in Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 that will help you to locate a necessary tool faster: https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/skylum/pdf/Onboarding_Luminar_4_Blog_Post-2.pdf?_ga=2.97139615.1215044120.1573462186-605595603.1572517806 

Tomaso Belloni

Dear Elena,
    thank you for your reply. I have tried Luminar 4 when it came out and I am aware of its structure. What I was saying that the new layout for me, and for all people I have talked to, is much worse to use. I have no problem with the order of filters the workspace for different Looks, in particular because I use my own looks and I know how they are structured. Moreover, one of the most essential tools for any photographer, the tone curve, is very well hidden as a subpanel of a panel inside a group. The filters were simplified and organized. But they are hidden. It's like having a workshop and being forced to put back into its drawer (or subdrawer) each tool before being able to use another one, which has to be extracted from another drawer (or subdrawer). Worse than that, one cannot even see the precise output of that tool without pulling it out again. Under these conditions, one can only do very limited work.

Shane Keller

Tomaso Belloni I agree - The grouping is much worse to use and a major step backward in functionality and efficiency. Going back and forth between tools/filters is slows down the editing process immensely.

Having to dig down to several steps to find a tool that used to be available in Luminar 3 in one step is frustrating. Then switching back and forth between two tools in different Luminar 4 bookmarks is also a ridiculous waste of time. 

Elena Blum Time to be honest: "Thanks to the new organization of tools into bookmarks in the right Edit panel, it’s now harder and slower to find the tools we're looking for."

Kirk Osborn

Thank you for your feedback. I will share it with our devs.

Thanks for trying to make Luminar better!

Please sign in to leave a comment.