Black and White clipping point display

Comments

34 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing this with us!

We will consider adding such shortcut in future. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy Meacham

Julia your reply is a little surprising to me. Up until know we windows users have always been told we would (eventually) end up with the same program features available to mac users,

Your reply implies that this may no longer be the case, can you elaborate please?

Brian Gibson

I agree.

Luminar is obviously a complex piece of software and I don't regret purchasing it, but I bought it on the presumption that the Windows edition would eventually support all the same procedures that are demonstrated in the Mac example.

At the moment there are still a lot of features that are "coming soon" in Windows.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy & Brian -

We are working toward full parity between the Mac and Windows version. In the near future we will be launching a campaign to keep users updated about the progress in product development. 

Ron Stewart

Hi Brian,

You probably already know this, because I think I watched the same video, but enabling the clipping indicators (by clicking the triangles on the histogram's top left and right) let you set the black and white points pretty easily. Just adjust the points so no red/blue indicators display.

Maybe this approach will suffice until the feature you mentioned is supported on Windows.

Angela: I'm glad to hear you're working on a way to keep us informed of progress. Personally, I'd like to see a prioritized list of features/behaviors that are still missing in the Windows version. That would both cut down on "is this a bug or yet-to-be ported feature" questions, and it would also let give us Windows users a better understanding of which features we might see next.

Ron

Brian Gibson

Thanks Ron.

Yes - at the moment enabling the indicators on the histogram are the only way to show the white and black clipping points.

However I have two problems with this method.
    Firstly, I find the two indicator triangles very small and hard to see, so clicking them to initiate the display is a bit fiiddly. If they were outlined in a brighter colour it would make them easier to see.
    Secondly, the Histogram does not update in real time, but re-draws after you release the adjustment key.
    (I can't recall if the clipping indicators lag behind in the same way - I'm not at my photo editing computer right now so I can't check.)

In the Morganti example I referred to, this clipping points are displayed in real time, which obviously makes adjustment easier.

Ron Stewart

The clipping indicators do update as I move the sliders.

i didn't notice the little triangles at first, but, now that I know about them, I don't have any trouble using them.

Ron

Udo Knoll

Luminar 3 is out now but the ALT-key is still not working for us Windows users - how long can it take to include a function  which is working in the MAC version since almost one year ???

After waiting for almost one year I'm more than p......  off

Udo

Angela Andrieux

Hi Udo,

We'll add hotkey support in one of the upcoming free updates for Luminar 3. Check out the roadmap for information about other planned features and timelines:

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Bob James

New Luminar 3 User trying to learn the software under Windows 10 -  Watching videos, reading what I can find and following topics in this forum but frustrated... Seems Windows doesn't necessarily match Mac and Luminar 2018 different from v3?

For instance, until finding this thread spent time trying to use Histogram B&W <Alt> key clip feature covered in useful 3rd party video. Now it appears the alternative triangle option mentioned above does not work (unselectable?) under my v3.02 install?

Not sure if I'm missing something or the Luminar v3 Windows software is different in some way from others - Not good...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bob,

There are a few small differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Luminar 3. Most of the keyboard shortcuts are now functional in 3.0.2 for Windows. We are working to make both platforms as similar as possible and will be improving parity with each update.

Fred Decker

Am still shocked that a year later, this is STILL not working in Luminar 3. In addition, I did check the "roadmap". It says nothing about this feature. As a matter of fact, it is very vague as to what it will include. All it lists are new features like "virtual copies" and "lightroom migration tool". I would suggest you get the version we were supposed to have, with all the features that the mac version has working before you spend time on other features. Hope these target dates actually hold true.

Helena Carter

Hi Fred,

You can enable clipping with the shortcut J on Windows.

We're improving the features both on Mac and Windows versions with each update. There are some differences, but it can be explained by the peculiarities of each platform. We wish these 2 versions were completely the same, but it's not that easy and quick to make all the features work the same way on different platforms. Our developers are working on it.

paul crawford

yeah just got luminar yesterday after watching various reviews etc and deciding whether to keep paying for my lightroom and photoshop , 

watch the above mentioned tutorial about holding alt key etc , thought maybe I hadn't turned anything on so that itd show the screen changing.

that's how I use my whites and blacks adjustment in lightroom by holding the alt key and then using the slider so I can see how my adjustments happen.  seems to be just gues work with luminar as I activated the triangles  using the J key or clicked on the triangles and was hoping thatd bring up the all white or all black screen so I could see my adjustment as I did it but no such luck .

will see how I get on with the rest of the programme for the next few weeks in my editing  luckily get the 60 day money back if I don't get on with it , and will just stay with lightroom and photoshop .  

most of the things seem decent and easier to use at hand but would have thought something as small as just using the alt key to bring up the white and blacks would have been a no brainer in my honest opinion, hopefully an update gets released  soon to fix this 

Fred Decker

Just another reminder and complaint: 3 MORE MONTHS HAVE GONE BY AND  STILL NO CORRECTION TO THIS ISSUE. I am really losing faith that Skylum has any competence in Windows Programming. Am I unreasonable to assume that a company that can't fix a seemingly simple problem and get parity between the MAC and PC versions after almost 2 years probably just can't?

Martial Fournier

Faudra t'il attendre encore 2 ans pour être au niveau Mac alors que nous avons payé la même chose ...?

paul crawford

très probablement si vous regardez le plan de mises à jour qu'ils ont, il n'y a aucune mention du correctif pour les utilisateurs de Windows @martial

Martial Fournier

C'est vrai il n'y aucune mention sur la touche Alt et j'ai vu aussi une vidéo sur l'effet dramatique pour Mac et rien n'est stipulé pour Windows,  entre autre. Nous avons beaucoup de retard par rapport à la version mac mais le prix d'achat lui est le même ?

Martial Fournier

Je crois que je vais finir par le déconseiller à mes amis.

Helena Carter

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your feedback.

As for now, there's no timeline for this feature to be added on Windows version. I completely understand your frustration. However, each request has its priority and in such cases, we are collecting feedback from our customers and then pass it to technical department to decide accordingly. I will surely pass your feedback to the person in charge.

paul crawford

Oh mon Dieu

paul crawford

so if we get enough people to request this hen itl jump to the front of the technical dept ? as it would be the most wanted/requested thing  so would take priority?

c'mon fred lets start a petition by posting all photography groups on social media to look for this post and request this feature for windows users

Fred Decker

Great idea, Paul! Let's do it! Seriously. 

And respectfully, Helena, after I posted, I thought to edit my post to say "And please don't say 'our team bases our features on priority and you are the only person complaining about this' ". because I knew I would get a version of this stock response.  It is unimaginable that after all the complaints, and all the posts of "we will pass this to our development/technical team" NOTHING has been done. It isn't even on your list yet!!! Just incredible. How is this possible? Especially after your promises that you will have the 2 platforms in parity and promised that this issue specifically would be fixed? I know customers can be unreasonable at times and everybody thinks their issue is the most important. But this is a necessary feature. Lightroom has had it for years and years. Your MAC version has it. You promised it. So instead of "passing it along", would you go down the hall and ask for a real response by asking "when can I tell customers to expect this or that it will at least show up on the timeline?". Again, I am not being snippy, I am asking you if you will do this as a customer service. It would go a long way if people felt they were at least being heard.

While I admit frustration, I am trying to be professional and reasonable in my request. I have to tell you that I am also a software developer. I realize the challenges as I have a set of programmers tools that is the leader in my industry (photography is my sideline). If I waited 2 years, say that aloud slowly, 2 YEARS!!, without getting something so basic and already working for only some of my customers in a different version, I would have trouble staying in business. There really is just no excuse, none. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I would like a real answer. If not, perhaps I could get Paul and whoever else will join me to start calling every few days and bothering everyone from the tech support department, to marketing, to the president of the company to see if for no other reason than to not be nagged, they will provide their customers an answer.

Final note: This is just a litmus test issue. There are many long-standing deficiencies in the program, especially in regards to MAC/PC parity, I am just focusing on this one because it is one of the most important and (seemingly) easy to do. If this one got fixed, I would expect the others are being worked on and it would provide some hope.

Brian Gibson

Well said Fred!

At one time there used to be a list of features "coming soon" in the Windows edition, but I can no longer find this.
    Does that indicate that Skylum has given up on trying to establish parity between the two platforms?

Luminar is advertised as being for both Mac and PC, so it is not unreasonable to expect the same features to be available for both systems, and if they are different, surely that contravenes advertising standards?

Martial Fournier

Je pense que les différences (énormes) sont injustes  et qu'au bout de 2 ans nous avons raisons de ne plus croire à la parité.

Par contre Skylum devait l'indiquer sur ces pubs, car ne pas le signaler, cela est du mensonge....

Kate Williams

We are surely not giving up on the Windows version of the application. In fact, the changes are present - we are gradually introducing the features that are already available on Mac. That way, for example, the support of PSE and the Import feature were implemented on Windows. While the changes are not massive and drastic since we were prioritizing the stability and performance in our latest updates, the changes are visible, so we'd kindly appreciate your patience regarding this matter. 

We will keep you posted. 

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Je peux être patient, d'ailleurs je le suis depuis 2 ans. Mais pour le même prix nous aurions mérités d'avoir le même niveau que sur Mac .....en tant que cliente, accepteriez-vous cela ?

Imaginez avoir acheté une voiture avec moins d'options dans un garage alors que dans le garage voisin, cette voiture de même marque, a toutes les options ?

Cordialement

Udo Knoll

Waiting for years for functions which are consindered as standard functions , , ,

For me this is ridiculous - I stopped using Skylum programms and will not recommend any of those for Windows users,

Bye

Fred Decker

I've given up on them as well. Tired of sending emails and posting here for YEARS and no movement. I have no hope they will ever be able to get these things working. And they just sent out emails about new features that were added to try and achieve Mac parity. Yet this feature is STILL not implemented. Before I waste more money on a product with such poor support I am trying Darktable and RawTherapee and see what they can do. Clearly, Skylum has an issue with their Windows development. What a shame, they had such an Window of opportunity to surpass Lightroom.

John Sullivan

I was watching a YouTube video today and the presenter used the ALT key along with holding down the cursor on the WHITE and then the BLACK and adjusting. It was easy because the whole screen went with White or Black and showed exactly where clipping started and stopped. Excited I went to my computer (a Windows 10 pro, 64g RAM, fast CPU, Larger, fast SSD's) and tried it with Luminar 3.1.3.3920. It did not work! BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!! Of course they are using a MAC.

Come on Luminar / Syylum. Add this one feature in Windows Luminar 3 NOW to show you can. In Lightroom it works great. There are a lot more Windows 10 users than their are Mac users in the world. It seems as a business decision you'd want to appeal to the 80% rather than just the 20%.

Please sign in to leave a comment.