THE FUTURE (OR LACK THEREOF) OF LUMINAR DAM

Comments

6 comments

Roman Augustyn

Great points Adam,

I also did purchase Luminar 3 and Aurora HDR when it was first offered. And the main reason was the official promises included in the so called "Road Map" (that eventually ended up in a swampy nothingness.. no road anymore). I've waited patiently for over a year for bug fixes, promised new tools and, most of all, for a functional DAM that would let me move away from Lightroom. For over a year I was patient and hopeful...

But my patience evaporated the day I received an email from Skylum offering me a pre-sale deal on a future, fantastic, blazing fast, with amazing AI features..... A brand NEW and glorious Luminar 4 !

And, apparently, Skylum was doing me a favor. I was one of the few lucky ones in a limited number of  customers that received that offer. 

BOY, what an honor!!

All the main upgrades and bug fixes are now to be included in Luminar 4, but in future upgrades, of course. That was it for me, I cut my loses and moved on.

Now, to your question Adam:

WHEN WILL THOSE WHO PURCHASED LUMINAR 3 GET THE DAM THEY WERE PROMISED? 

As far as I'm concerned, the answer is simple:

NEVER!

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

Yeah, I think you guys might be right. We might never see a DAM in Luminar.

I think Skylum has gotten a mixed message from the user base. There are those who never wanted it, and resented the effort put into it. And there are those who want to leave Lightroom, or have been abandoned by Aperture, etc. They mostly want a tool that has a DAM. That's the group I'm in for sure.

I've moved on to using a different tool that already has a viable and useful DAM, but I keep Luminar around for some things, and still love Aurora for HDR. It makes me really sad, and more than a little bit frustrated, that they seem to have abandoned the DAM. If they'd listened to the feedback they got early on about their DAM they could have fixed it, but no - they dug in their heels and stuck with a fundamentally flawed approach. If they had fixed it, we wouldn't be in this mess.

It's such a shame, really. I generally like the Luminar look and feel (though not so much the lack of stability). I think Luminar has some great features. If it had a decent DAM I'd have never left. Why, oh why, did they have to stick to their guns with a fundamentally flawed design?

Kate Williams

Hi guys,

Thank you for expressing your opinion so honestly and openly. I appreciate that. 

All this time we've been collecting and processing artists' feedback and feature requests for quite some time, and the marketing research has shown that the majority of our customers love and choose us for easy-to-use tools and revolutionary enhancements. 

That is why we decided to make the development of new AI features our top priority. They are bound to boost the creativity of our artists allowing everyone to save time during the editing process. 

At the same time, we are not giving up on Luminar 3. It will be updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised.

IPCT support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users.
    In addition, we are conducting negotiations with our partners to develop a migration tool for LR users.

You can check all the relevant information regarding our plans for the nearest future on our Roadmap: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 
    It's just a matter of time till other library enhancements will get implemented. 

Steve Adams

I haven't followed this community in a while.

I heard Skylum (MacPhun) promises far enough in the past that the DAM in Luminar 3 was supposed to be the solution that would make up for all the broken promises prior to its release. According to My Account, I purchased Luminar 2018 in December of 2017 based on the promise of the soon-to-be-released DAM that would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't believe me? Look back through old forum posts to see what issues customers were having years ago.

With the Luminar 4 release being promised for "This Fall" I was curious enough to check the forum again. Unbelievable.

Not only are customers still expressing frustration over unfulfilled promises.. specifically promises of the DAM that got me to buy in years ago... but now Skylum has made mentioning a competitor's product grounds for being removed from the forum.

Skylum's real strength seems to be in marketing... over-promising, under-delivering, and responding to legitimate complaints with the company line. Kate Williams stated "it's just a matter of time...". Check for yourself to see how much time has already passed, what promises were being made back then, and how much the responses you're getting now resemble the responses given years ago.

But according to Skylum THIS TIME it'll be GREAT! Yeah... right.

I'll still play with Skylum products every now and then... after all, I did pay for them. I'll probably even take a look at Luminar 4 when it's released... whenever that might be... but Skylum will never get another penny from me and I've learned not to trust them for my workflow.

Allan Hise

I finally got the answer I’ve been looking for. The DAM is never coming. Bye Skylum, it was fun while it lasted. 

John Abel

Well, I wish I'd had a proper read of the forum before I purchased L4.  I've been waiting for the promised DAM features so I could get rid of LR, and now it seems that all the effort is being put into editing enhancements?  Thanks, but no thanks.

Please sign in to leave a comment.