Luminar 4 limited to 2 machines?

Comments

64 comments

Mark Huf

@skylum

Just reached out to your CEO on LinkedIn.

Maybe that will help, I am skeptical though.

Best,

Mark

2019-10-13

Hi Alex,

Want to bring your attention to this thread: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360005595460-Luminar-4-limited-to-2-machines-?page=1#community_comment_360000835039

Reaching out as it seems like you would be the one that can fix this. Read my comments there. Please help.

Comment actions Permalink
    Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

J'ai acheter luminar 4 le 16 septembre 2019.

Sur la facture rien n'est indiqué sur le nombre de licences..

Une question, quand aura lieu la prochaine mis à jour de luminar 3 ?

Cordialement, Martial

Nancy Goodenough

Angela, I appreciate your offer to have me contact support for more licenses than 2. However, I'm hoping the company changes the policy back to 5 licenses not just for me, but as a policy for everyone. 5 licenses was a nice touch that MacPhun started. It spoke to being  customer-oriented. I've been a supporter of your company for many years now and when I recommend the software, I mention the 5 licenses which impresses my photographer friends.

I have bought the upgrade since Luminar is important to me, but before that I have now also bought the on1 RAW 2020 beta, which btw provides 5 licenses. I'm going to give them a go and see what so many photographers are raving about. I hadn't upgraded on1 software in many years as I was so pro Luminar and Aurora after Skylum/MacPhun Creative Suite and other software. I use Luminar in pretty much every image. I want you to succeed. I also want your company to keep the stellar public image it had in the past, but I fear the light is dimming.

Nancy Goodenough

Mark Huf

@Angela Andrieux, 

@Nancy Goodenough is spot on.
    Same for me. Bought all MacPhun products. That was fun.
    Under the Skylum flag things are not.
    Got screwed on Photolemur bonuses not too long ago, now it seems like Skylum is trying to screw me again.

Please fix this now.

Best,

Mark

David Wall

Just to add my voice.  When I saw the upgrade to Luminar 4 I decided to upgrade, but my assumption was it was a in place upgrade and I would keep the 5 licenses I already owned. I think you should honor the licenses that already had 5 activations and not change it. I am currently not using all 5 activations, but they were a perk I liked to have with Luminar.

Please reinstate the owners upgrading to 5 activations.

Lloyd O'Daniel

Kate,

"Please note that our community forum is regularly reviewed by our management and QA team. We're getting across our customers' comments / suggestions / complaints to the corresponding team during meetings and via our corporate channels, so please rest assured that your messages reach the destination."

Given the concerns and complaints on this forum and the time span over which those have been made, your statement above is damning evidence that your management could not care less about their customers or providing the software that has been promised over the past 2+ years.

Alex Tsepko (Skylum CEO)

Hello Everyone. I believe we have definitely failed to communicate the change to the number of licenses for Luminar 4. I have read the thread, and we should have done better. We will have a team meeting today to discuss this case. Luminar 4 license will allow activation on 2 computers, when Luminar 4 ships. But I believe we should make an adjustment for those who have pre-ordered Luminar 4 in advance. Please stay tuned.

Mark Huf

@Skylum 

I stand corrected, Alex, your CEO, was quick in responding to my cry for help on LinkedIn.

Thanks for looking into this Alex.

Best,

Mark

Kim Austin

@Alex -- so if I decide to stay with L3, which at this point in time I have 5 licences, am I right in thinking that I will retail that number, given you are intent on decreasing the number on L4 to just 2.  This is important to know thanks.

Alex Tsepko (Skylum CEO)

Hello Artists. Hope your day is going great. Here are the promised updates. Luminar 4 will be shipping with a license valid for 2 computers. Customers who want to use Luminar on more than 2 computers will be able to purchase additional licenses. At the same time I agree that we as a Team have done a lousy job to communicate these changes to you. Even though this information is available in the Support section on skylum.com, we should have made it easier to discover. We should have communicated these changes more clear. With this in mind, we have made a decision to give you an extended license that will work for 5 computers. To get the extended license, please send an email to Alina (Head of Customer Support) at alina@skylum.com, and reference this thread. Please make sure to send us a copy of the receipt that confirms your Luminar 4 purchase. Unfortunately we are not able to make this an evergreen offer, so be sure to contact Alina before October 22 (that is a week from now). Every Luminar 4 customer who emails Alina before 10.22 and requests an extended license, will get it. Thanks again. We will improve our customer communication moving forward. Alex.

PS If you’re in NYC Area or plan to visit Photo Plus Expo, come meet us! We will be demoing Luminar 4 and giving away cool stuff!

d c

Thank you very much @AlexTsepko and @Skylum team for rectifiying this issue with the license .

email sent to Alina. 

Denis

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Message envoyé, quand sera t'on prévenu que nous avons bien une licence pour 5 ordinateurs?

Merci pour l'effort.

Luminar 4 sortira début novembre ou fin Novembre?

Cordialement, Martial

Luca Fontana

Thanks @Alex Tsepko Tsepko

Regards

Anna V

Hi @Martial Fournier, 

Luminar 4 will be released on November 18.

Jean-Michel Dabo

Thank you  @AlexTsepko and @Skylum team for rectifiying this issue with the extended license.

email sent to Alina. 
    Jean-Michel

Nancy Goodenough

Thanks, Alex, for coming thru for this upgrade.

Maybe next year compromise at 3?

Thanks,

Nancy

Jean-Michel Dabo

Hello Alina, Thank you and to  @AlexTsepko and @Skylum team , I received mail from Alina today !! Best Regard

Denis Joanisse

Thanks to everyone at Skylum for looking into this. Though I still feel that 2 licences is unnecessarily limited, I appreciate the result, and simply hope that any future changes of this nature will be clearly highlighted in the marketing material.

Denis

Peter Owens

Thanks to Alex and Skylum for showing some sensible customer orientated actions and addressing this.  Like other I have products like On1 which has the 5 licence limit.  How you could assume 2 amazes me.  I'm not a professional photographer but I have 3 laptops and 1 desktop at home I use and which laptop depends on the situation I'm in (ie MS Surface vs 15' dell XPS etc).  Having to remove and reactivate licences would be painful.

I'm more concerned however about some of the language being used by management stating that this is a new product. I'm sorry - I just checked my invoice from July which shows me it's an upgrade. Which is it?  I would think after the fiasco A LOT OF US went through with the release problems of Luminar 3 you would check everything now 110% before making statements.  

Steve Giambone

I was going to jump in and buy the combination Luminar 3 and 4 today. But after seeing this thread, I'm afraid it's not an option now. What a shame. I guess one customer won't matter much, more or less.. Bye.

Kim Austin

@Roar Fondse.  "I think..." is merely your opinion.  Provide some facts before making accusations. Your comment is not helpful at all.

Denis Joanisse

@Roar Fondse

Your opinion clashes with the reality of a number of users, including me, who use more than two seats without sharing with friends or family. (Your thesis that "most" people are dishonest, and that Skylum is losing business because of it, needs backing up with actual data, btw)

Historically, the company has always provided 5 seats for all of their products, and there was no reason to believe this would change. Especially since this is not a new product, but an upgrade. The biggest problem here was in the marketing. Were I cynical, I could imagine that this was an intentional omission during advertising the pre-order. Were I in generous mood, I'd simply say they severely underestimated the impact on users. I don't have any credible evidence one way or the other. I just hope they'll be much more forthcoming in the future about such changes.

Kim Austin

@Roar Fondse

I didn't ask for data from Skylum.  I asked YOU to provide it to back up your accusation that users are basically "dishonest".  Whoopee that you have worked in IT a long time. I would imagine you're not alone in that regard, so it doesn't make you an expert on the reason why Skylum did this. t's not about understanding the new policy, it's about the fact that many loyal long term customers felt they had been disregarded. Read some of the early comments and you'll maybe understand, though it seems you have a closed mind to this.  Changing it from 5 to 2 provides no evidence; it's merely a business decision, which Alex admitted that they had not publicised well enough. So he saw the error in their ways, and did what honourable companies do. 

Miguel Campos

There is one solution to this problem, walk away from Luminar, I already made that decision. 

"companies that allow more than 1 license installed and are not cloud controlled are hard to find"

Not entirely accurate, look at ON1, DXO, etc.

Dave Smith

I appreciate that a "solution" was eventually provided for those of us that upgraded without any indication that this would be the restriction other than in the invoice after the upgrade purchase was complete. The fact that this solution was only indicated in this forum and with a very tiny window of time to enact it is extremely disappointing. Some of us do not visit these forums constantly and in my case I missed the window by a couple of weeks.

I understand that there may be business reasons to change the licensing restrictions, but not communicating this until after purchase of an upgrade is very hard to forgive.

As much as I like most of the aspects of your products (I have been a purchaser for a number of years now), I am finding it very hard to continue recommending them to others.

Timo M

Completely agree with Dave Smith.

"Luminar 4 is meant to be used by a single person. We’ve discovered that two activations are enough for one person in most cases. For example, at home and at work, or on a desktop and a laptop computer."

But this statement counters its self by listing already 3 option:

1. home desktop
    2. home laptop
    3. office desktop

And if you, dear Skylum team, are so eager about the single person license with only 2 seats, why then bother with this "first 20k get 5 instead of 2" advertisement, which are not shareable or have another benefit while they are according to above statement useless anyway?

I'm quite interested how many people will complain about this after today or especially next Monday when the official release hits.

Elena Blum

Hi Timo,

Please note that you can always reset your license counter in order to activate Luminar on a different computer if you have already exceeded the limit. Moreover, after the Luminar 4 release, you’ll be able to add more seats to your license for a small fee.

Fernando Saiz

Hi all.

waiting long time since preordered this upgrade from Luminar 3 to Luminar 4 and when I finally received it .. surprise, only 2 lincenses instead of usual 5 (OK, I only use 3 but ... this was my decission). I do agree with all people commenting befroe that this was not stated at pre order time and it is not the way as per previous releases (joined MacPhun some years ago, contined on Skylum ... not ony for Luminar but also Photolemur and Aurora). It is mre that just a problem of communicating that we will not receive the 5 license package as usual (it shoul be clearly stated, bold and red, at pre order time ... it was not). It is jus a commercial decssion based on the fact that we are using more than one, or two, or three ... up to the grabted five license and so by reducing the license package Skylum expect for us to further purchase more licenses. 

Nice to know that we, as customers, as suspect of wromg use of our paid licenses and we do need Skylum to indicate how to setup our work enviroment ("two is enough" machines).

It is very disapointing that a company we used to trust in can see us just as a "money pocket" where they can dig to get our money as they decide.

Fortunatelly, as stated in this very same thread, other sw providers can see customers as people instead of "money pockets". At least I will give them a chance and try. Difficult to be loyal to a company that it is not loyal to me as customer. An, even worst, I do reallly love Luminar 4 new features and workspace organization but, honestly, I do not like being treated just as an ATM, I'm a customer

I can’t say I’m happy with being told after the event that I can only operate from two machines not the 5 max I was used to. I have recent purchased a new desktop and was relying on that 3 rd licence I had up to the update. Looks like it’s back to lightroom next year.

Rubén Osuna

Luminar 4 is out and I need a third installation.

My computers are home, office and laptop. 

How can I get a third installation? How much it will cost?

Post is closed for comments.