Luminar 4 limited to 2 machines?

Comments

64 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Denis,

Luminar 4 is meant to be used by a single person. We’ve discovered that two activations are enough for one person in most cases. For example, at home and at work, or on a desktop and a laptop computer.However, you can always reset your license counter in order to activate Luminar on a different computer if you have already exceeded the limit.Moreover, after the Luminar 4 release, you’ll be able to add more seats to your license for a small fee.

Comment actions Permalink
    Nancy Goodenough

Oh, dear. I have multiple laptops in different sizes plus a desktop. This is going to cost me. I'm not very happy right now. n

Guy Meacham

"We’ve discovered that two activations are enough for one person in most cases."

Ah well that must be very comforting to individuals using it on more than two machines who haven't discovered that yet :)

Angela Andrieux

Hi Nancy,

Please reach out to us at support@skylum.com and we'll see if we can work something special out for you.

Denis Joanisse

Dear Anastasia and Angela,

I am truly surprised at your responses here.

First, Anastasia, your message clearly indicates that Skylum is aware that some users have a system with more than 2 machines, and yet is willing to ignore them by changing the licence number. I apologize if I’m misreading the situation, but this reeks of trying to sell more copies to those of us who do use a 3 or more machine set-up (as a single-user, not sharing with others).

But then, Angela’s message suggests that something can be done for people with more than two machines, but seemingly only on a case by case basis after complaining? This is patchwork support.

There was no reason to change the previous licence number terms. At the very least, it should have been a MAJOR highlight in the publicity to upgraders.

I am seriously leaning to canceling my v4 pre-order. Which is too bad, because I like the software and was looking forward to new functionalities.

Denis

Miguel Campos

This is a deal killer for me. I am the only person that uses Luminar in my house, I have 1 computer in my office, 1 laptop and 1 computer in my garage. Mainly because that's where my good photo printer resides. Having to de-activate and re-activate is going to become a pain in the neck.

One of the selling points for Luminar was to be able to install in 5 computers (not concurrent users, but at least being able to hop between computers without having to go through activation). I am sure marketing reached out to a large cross section of the customer base and all of them said 2 computers was enough .... yeah right!

Anastasia Davis

Hi Miguel! As we mentioned, you will be able to add more seats later. Thus, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ron Lawrence

Shouldn't be a problem!!!? How damn arrogant can you get!!?

Kim Austin

@Anastasia Davis "As we mentioned, you will be able to add more seats later. Thus, it shouldn't be a problem."

Well, it will be a problem if your earlier comment in this thread is to be believed " ..after the Luminar 4 release, you’ll be able to add more seats to your license for a small fee."  

Luminar and Aurora (and possibly others) have always had a 5 user licence limit.  Why wasn't this change announced, before you coaxed people into pre-paying for it?  This smells of scam again!

Anna V

Hi Kim, please contact us at support@skylum.com and we'll see if we can work something special out for you.

Luca Fontana

"Hi Kim, please contact us at support@skylum.com and we'll see if we can work something special out for you"

Hi everyone,

I think this special offer for each user is not a good think.... or better is not correct for the other users that subscribe the pre order and discover this surprise about number of license.
    I think that Skylum should propose a special offer for 5 licence for everybody... or better free update to 5 licenze for the preorder subscrivers

Regards

Miguel Campos

ON1 Photo RAW gives you 5 seats

DxO PhotoLab Elite gives you 3 seats

Luminar gives you 5 seats, oops, scratch that, 2 seats because "We’ve discovered that two activation are enough"

That is unless you are willing to pay an additional "small" fee.

Mark Huf

This is utterly insane, was not mentioned while bombarding us with preorder emails to buy Luminar 4. Which by the way is being released much later than I initially thought based on how you marketed the product in the overdose of emails. Solid advice to Skylum, listen to your customers. They are your ambassadors. I have referred many of your current clients. Most of them are clients of mine as well. Don’t think I will not recommend other software in a heartbeat if this is your new course. No way will I let you ruin my reputation. As Luminar 4 has not been released yet, I fully expect to see 5 licenses allocated to my purchase to be used on either Mac or Windows. Do not respond with “more seats can be bought later” or “contact support and we will work something out” as that will piss me off immediately and will likely trigger me to setup my own emailing to our mutual clients advising them other software. Thanks for reading this, now make it happen. Best, Mark

Anastasia Davis

Hi Mark! We were not hiding this info from our customers. The number of devices is written in your invoice as well. Also, Luminar 4 will be released as it was initially said - late Fall (November).

Mark Huf

@Anastasia Davis

Well, that is not the case.

Obviously I am not feeling inclined to share my invoice here, so please email me and I will show you my invoice.

So this still stands;

As Luminar 4 has not been released yet, I fully expect to see 5 licenses allocated to my purchase to be used on either Mac or Windows.

Please mail me.

Best,

Mark

Luca Fontana

@Anastasia Davis

"The number of devices is written in your invoice as well."

Hi everyone,

Anastasia, I think that the problem is this, we do not know before receiving the bill the number of activations available.

When you receive the invoice, Luminar 4 has already purchased it and only then you discover that the activations are 2 instead of 5.

I agree with other users that this is not really correct, should be indicated immediately on the subscription form.

Regards

Mark Huf

@Luca Fontana

I have no such notice a my invoice. Just fyi.

Makes it even worse...

@Skylum, please do the right thing and listen to your customers.

Best,

Mark

K. Wuensch

Maybe it's time to refer this to the appropriate authorities - I know I would had I preordered...

Mark Huf

@K-Wuensch

Yes, I do agree, yet there are people from@Skylum on this thread as well, am I correct?
    Just double checking.

Which appropriate authorities are you referring to if I may ask?
    As I definitely will notify and point them to this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Marj

K. Wuensch

I would think this is a case of trading standards in the UK, Verbraucherschutz in Germany, (every other European country has similar government or semi official agencies).

Mark Huf

@K. Wuensch

Sorry, I now understand what you mean.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I will have a look which authorities would apply in my case.

Also, I still think Skylum management should be notified, so there’s that.

Have a nice day.

Best,

Mark

Anastasia Davis

@Luca Fontana Hi! It seems fair, I will forward it to the person in charge so they make sure tour customers see this info before the actual purchase.

Mark Huf

@Anastasia Davis

So you work at Skylum? I can’t tell from your name or avatar?

If so, see below. If not, could you please elaborate, how are you connected to Skylum?

It would be best to share the name of the “person in charge” so we can convey our, to put it mildly, frustration directly to said person.

These to screenshots are from half an hour ago. Skylum did yet another mailshot... No mention of this, my words, insane reduction of activations.

You might want to check your ssl by the way...

Looking forward to receive the name and contact details of the “person in charge”.

Best,

Mark

Brett

I pre-purchased Luminar 4 based on that I thought it could install it on up to 5 devices like Luminar 3. I now read (after purchasing) that I can only have 2 installs? Not a great way to start out a new software relationship with something I was excited to try out and hopefully recommend to others. Please reach out to me to clarify how to fix this. Thanks - Brett

Mark Huf

@Skylum, see above. Another one bites the dust.
    Take the highroad and make us customers happy. 
    It will not brake the bank, it is expected and people (and they are 💯 % correct to do so) stop complaining.

Just make it happen tomorrow and notify everyone by email and do announce it here as well.

Best,

Mark

Kate Williams

Hi,

Please note that our community forum is regularly reviewed by our management and QA team. We're getting across our customers' comments / suggestions / complaints to the corresponding team during meetings and via our corporate channels, so please rest assured that your messages reach the destination. 

Luca Fontana

Hi everyone,

@skylum, I think the solution is very simple.
    There was a communication error to the subscribers.. Ok, no problem ...
    For those who have signed the Skylum 4 pre-order to date, give 5 licenses like was for luminar 3.
    Once the communication is corrected during the order phase that warns that there will only be 2 licenses, the new subscribers will have 2 licenses.
    I think it's very simple, for a company that I consider serious, since when I asked for something they were always available and kind.

Regards

Kim Austin

@Kate Williams

It used to be that we would see messages from the likes of Alex posted into the forum, whenever there was confusion, just as there has been over this licence issue. Saying that your management and QA teams regularly review the forums means little, unless there is confirmation from one of these people. Surely you can understand why that is important?  If I communicated like this to my company's clients, I would get a stern talking to and possible firing. It's not good enough.  Many of us have hung in and stayed with Skylum, so how about treating us as valued customers!?

d c

@Skylum

I did pre-order luminar4 on july 24th 2019.

i've looked in my email receipt for the order and there is no reference at alll about how many license..

i've also clicked that email link ''View Invoice'' and again no reference to how many license i supply with the order..

So for me it was clear that i'm upgrading from Luminar 3 and i never tought for a second that my license will drop from 5 to 2 .

I wasn't inform of that fact at the buying moment and this is no fair, in same time is not a good move to make your customers feel confident about the brand and the products at Skylum.

Having clients paying a small fee over 2 licences, to get more license looks greedy or cheap

By the way @skylum what is that small fee, in term of dollars that  you're talking about ?

Denis

Guy Meacham

I did pre-order luminar4 on july 24th 2019.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They should be treating you and others like you who pre purchased FOUR MONTHS in advance of the promised released like royalty! I've never seen such a long pre purchase time before. No doubt that those who purchased without pre notice of the license change should expect & get 5 licenses.

Post is closed for comments.