Comments

13 comments

Julia Kot

Hi Howie,

Please note that HEIC is based on the HEVC (High Efficiency Video Compression) or H.265 video format used on newer iPhones. Technically, HEIC isn't really a format as such, more of a container for images and audio. 

For now, this image format is supported by iPhone only. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Sherwood Botsford

In general SkyLum should not support oddball formats.  What they should do is have a published API for export plugins.  This allows 3rd party programers to add exports.

To do this, I would suggest that skylum use something like the netpnm or png format for exporting images, and some form of xml for exporting metadata.

Plugins could request either or both chunks.

With minor variations this can be used for printer modules, and exporting DAM information.

Janosh Riebesell

There seems to some outdated information here (or maybe even a misunderstanding on Julia's and Sherwood's part). HEIC is not an oddball format. On the contrary, it was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) no less and is currently supported by all major operating systems (macOS, Windows, iOS and Android). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format#Support for details.

@Skylum: HEIC support is absolutely essential in this day and age and makes Luminar unusable for me on newer projects using this format. Would be nice if the support team could leave a response, particularly regarding the future of HEIC in Luminar 4.

Kate Williams

Hi Janosh,

The HEIC files are opened and processed just fine by Luminar 4 on Mac.
    The Windows version lacks the HEIC support at the moment due to some tech limitations. 

Both versions are yet to have HEIC as one of the export options, but this is something I'll raise as a feature request with our engineering team. 

Janosh Riebesell

Kate Williams Thanks for the quick reply and for passing this on!

Janosh Riebesell

Any news regarding HEIC export?

Margaret Bright

Hi Janosh,

Unfortunately, there's no new information on this matter yet. But I will pass on your request once more to our team to let them know that some of our customers are still interested in this option.

Janosh Riebesell

Margaret Bright Thanks!

Janosh Riebesell

Still interested in this. :)

Helena Carter

Hi Janosh Riebesell,

I'm afraid at this time, there's still no ETA for this feature to be added. Please, stay tuned!

Raymond Griffiths

If you are running Luminar on a Mac you can export to HEIC via Preview

Janosh Riebesell

Raymond Griffiths You mean first export to JPG, then open it in Preview and re-export as HEIC?

Raymond Griffiths

I would save to tiff then export to HEIC. It's a faff but until Luminar add it, it's a workaround if HEIC is important.

Please sign in to leave a comment.