Ten million bonus points

Comments

10 comments

Roman Augustyn

Hi Kenneth, 10 million bonus points for ON1, eh???

I'll up your bet and throw another 10 million for ON1, LOL.

After over a year full of frustrations with Luminar 3, I've had enough and bought ON1 Photo RAW 2019 and never looked back. What a fantastic software!! 

It is what Luminar 3  promised and now what Luminar 4 promises plus a lot, and I mean A LOT, more. Remember the dream we all had, to migrate our Lightroom libraries and photo edits, or...  be able to edit EXIF data? (good, old dreams that never came true...)

ON1 handles it beautifully and they even provided a tool to do the migration, amazing right? I pre-ordered the ON1 2020 already and it supposed to be even better. They actually do deliver promises they make .

Comment actions Permalink
    Kate Williams

Hi Kenneth, 

Thanks for the feedback. 

The features you mention are in the backlog of the requested features. I'll let our business team know about your opinion regarding their priority. 

At this time, there's no open beta testing for Luminar 4. However, if you'd like to become a Luminar 4 beta tester in the future, please drop us a message at https://skylum.com/support - we'll reach out to you once there's a beta testing opportunity. 

Guy Meacham

Is Beta testing before release planned this time Kate? It never has been before.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy,

Yes, we are actively beta testing Luminar 4 with select affiliates and partners. They are power users and are putting the software through heavy testing and reporting directly to the developers. Our entire team is working hard to make the Luminar 4 launch as smooth as possible for all users.

Guy Meacham

Thanks Angela can you tell us what percentage of those power user beta testers use Windows?

Thanks.

Kenneth Roach

Thank you for the reply, Kate. I am disappointed to learn that the things I mentioned are "in a backlog of requested features." What you're telling me with that is that these details have not been corrected in Luminar 4. That Skylum is going to heave more AI powered bells and whistles over the wall to the users, while continuing to neglect program infrastructure. This sounds very much like what was done with the original Nik filters... Lots of "Gosh! Look at what that one did to my photo!!!" while each can and will malfunction and/or crash in a different way, send photos to different places, and no two seem to provide the same user interface. But yeah... Once you figure out how a given Nik filter works, and how to avoid crashes, and after you figure out how to find the program's output ("Shit! It overwrote the original photo!!!), then it's "Gosh! Look at what that one did to my photo!!!"

Software development is really quite simple: Until all defects in an existing version of a program have been corrected, developers do not have time to work on future "Gosh! Geewhiz!!!" kinds of things, which will no doubt only add more bugs to be dealt with.

Exception handling should be the number one priority for the Luminar staff. That is, when windows programs crash, they will typically throw an exception indicating why the program crashed. When such an exception occurs, the developers can log the kind of exception that occurred. The exception handler can then perform, for example, a memory dump of some sort with all the pertinent information. That way, developers can examine the kind of exception and the memory dump, and more easily determine what happened. Just imagine how helpful this might have been a year or more ago, when Luminar 3 was deployed and it wouldn't install, couldn't create any catalogs, and so on and so forth, and then the development team had to spend the Christmas and New Year holidays figuring out what the problems were and fixing them, while dozens of users posted crap here about Luminar 3, and etc, 

But no... Your rank amateur development team has thus far neglected exception handling. But "Gosh! Look at what that one did to my photo!!!"

Skylum has Luminar training videos showing someone playing with masks. And that person clicks on a starting point for a mask. And then he clicks on an ending point for the mask, and presto-changeo! A straight line is drawn! Only problem is, he's using the Mac version of the program. The Windows program doesn't support that capability. Fixing this problem would/should be relatively trivial. That is, it should not require much time at all. But Skylum doesn't do that. How insulting does Skylum have to be toward its Windows users anyway? But "Gosh! Look at what that one did to my photo!!! And it used AI and shit like that, too! Or at least, that's what they're trying to tell me." Maybe Skylum can use a bit of AI to teach Luminar how to draw that straight masking line?

Luminar cannot default to saving a file being exported to the directory the imported file was loaded from? This is another extremely trivial matter to correct. And yet is has remained uncorrected for several years now, per the complaints posted in this forum. 

When one applies various edits to a photo, and then one decides to look at what happens when one or another of various "presets" are applied to that photo, Luminar wipes out all the edits that one had previously made. Why? See... I can ask "why?" because ON1 does not do that. If one makes 15-20 edits to a photo, and then clicks on a preset in ON1, the edits already made persist. They do not go away, in either ON1 2019 or ON1 2020. 

These things do not belong in a "backlog of 'requested' features." They are flat out bugs. All of them need to be fixed at least six months ago, and the trivial ones at least 12-24 months ago. That they have not been speaks volumes about the kind of operation Skylum is running.

One possible "requested enhancement:" When I right click on a photo in explorer and open it in Luminar 3, I do not want any information written to any catalog, anywhere. Not into whatever catalog might be open on whatever device today, and a different catalog/device tomorrow. In fact, I do not want to use cataloging at all. There is no valid reason to require such catalog nonsense. I very much resent Skylum ramming that down my throat. Which is why I rarely use Luminar 3. When I use Luminar to edit photos at all, I use Luminar 2018. Note that I can continue to do so indefinitely, as required.

And no thank you... I do not wish to be a beta tester for Luminar 4. Everyone has already had the experience of being beta testers for Luminar 3. What a disaster that was, and to varying degrees, continues to be.

And Skylum expects me to fork over cash in advance for Luminar 4? That's not happening. It may well not happen at all, at any time, if Skylum has in fact changed their licensing to limit two per purchase. Luminar 3 installs on a per user basis. If I want to use the program, and my wife wants to use the program, and my daughter also wants to use the program, I've just burned through three licenses on a single machine -- more than the alleged allotment for Luminar 4. There are not enough licenses to do this, much less to load Luminar 4 into any virtual machines existing on the same computer, much less my travel laptop computer. But of course, Luminar 3/4 will not easily work on that elderly laptop travel computer, since Luminar now requires video drivers that laptop does not support. Not to worry... I once again have an older version of Luminar 2018 that will work on that laptop, so Skylum has yet to force me to buy a new laptop.

And what's up with plug-in support? Thus far, Luminar seems to think that only Adobe products need to be supported re: plug-ins. Why is that? Just because Adobe offers their plug-in SDK? But Skylum and Adobe are in fact competitors! For the record, I do not use any Adobe products, other than their basic, free PDF tool. Nor will I. Ever. Where is the generic "compatible with everything" plug-in support? I mean, Mr. Tsepko sent out an email some months ago promising something or other about new and improved plug-in support. Where is that? Why can I not invoke Luminar from within Gimp, or say Corel Paintshop Pro, or invoke either of those programs from within Luminar? Skylum only offers plug-in interfaces to Adobe crap? Then Skylum is offering me no plug-in support whatsoever.

So why am I here, ranting on, if ON1 2020 seems the way to go to me? Good question... I mean, I don't use any of Luminar's alleged "AI" tools. It doesn't save exported files where it should, and forces me to use it's damnable catalog nonsense (which I assume has yet to be properly documented). What could possibly compel me to continue posting messages berating Luminar???

I think it comes down to subtle issues relating to the user interface, the styles of the presents available, how filters are defined conceptually, and etc. For various subtle reasons along these lines, I want Luminar to be a program I can like. Maybe Skylum could offer a "dumbed down" version of Luminar 4? Like, "Here's Luminar 4 without cataloging, just like Luminar 2018, but with all the bug fixes since then thrown in, for $49.99. And here's Luminar 4 with cataloging, for $69.99."

That would work pretty well for me. But in the absence of that, and in the absence of basic software bug fixes, I am far more likely to go with ON1 2020. 

No one here, to my knowledge, has ever asked for "AI sky replacement." And to be honest, I don't really recall anyone saying that "Luminar would be just perfect if it had cataloging." But a whole big mess of people here have asked for bugs to be fixed, and Skylum has ignored pretty much all such requests.

It appears, then, that the idea of Luminar ever meeting my actual expectations is just "a bridge too far." But I've nonetheless offered my input here, and I will monitor Skylum's progress, if any, toward meeting those expectations, I mean, to the extent that publicly available trial versions might become available.

Again, I would prefer to be a Luminar user, as I've described above. At present, however, I see myself upgrading to ON1 2020, and not to Luminar 4. Skylum can make of that what they will.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy,

I don't manage the beta testing program so I don't have access to specific percentages, but in my conversations with other affiliates I know that several of them are Windows users.

Guy Meacham

Hey Angela, I'm sure Skylum wont be interested in requiring this but I think that all your affiliates, ambassadors and beta testers that post videos, how tos and photos should be required to say if they are using Windows or Mac. Those of us on Windows deserve to know that exspcially when there are still so many differences.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy,

I'm happy to share the suggestion with our team. In the meantime, if you see one of our ambassadors or affiliates post about Luminar 4, feel free to ask them what platform they are using and even the specs of their machine. Most (if not all) will be happy to share if asked.

Michael Mansfield

Dustin Abbott is using a Windows PC in this demo of Luminar 4 Beta:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xqiU-9P0Yg 

and another (German)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ85jWRVYec&t=0s 

Please sign in to leave a comment.