Luminar 3 in Win10 distorts and blurs RAW Nikon files, why?

Comments

2 comments

Geoffrey Hahn

It is my belief the first couple of seconds, Luminar has a JPG of the image opened up - sort of a preview, while the actual raw image is being opened.  Once the program has loaded the raw image, it is displayed.  This is similar to Photoshop Elements, in that when you select a raw image to edit, a JPG is first displayed, then the raw image is loaded. I'm not positive, but I think that slight distortion you've noticed is the JPG is displayed with the lens correction tools enabled, and the final, editable image is the actual raw image.  As to the raw image losing detail, again, that's just the difference between the JPG and the raw image.  The reason I believe this to be the case is because I'd once written to support inquiring about the difference in the histogram from when you first open an image file until the raw image is fully loaded.  The response back was the difference between displaying the histogram of a JPG initialy, then displaying the histogram of the actual raw image once it's been loaded up.

Comment actions Permalink
    Anna V

Hi Gary,

Geoffrey is right. 

Please note that Luminar 3 doesn't create any copies of the images or doesn't cache images.

It creates previews of the photos. When you open the images in the Library part, you can see the previews only, that is why they look blurred, when you double click on the image and you want to see the photo, not the preview, please give Luminar 3 some time to process it and you will see the image as it is.

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.