Digital Asset Management module

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Julia Kot

Hi Efraim,

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Very soon we'll announce the release date for DAM tool. It is in the development stage now.

Also, you are welcome to take part in our Beta testing. To apply please drop a line to support@skylum.com 

Comment actions Permalink
    R. Lucas Stewart

Hello, I am loving Luminar but also waiting on the DAM tool, since it's three months since you said this would be available "Very Soon" just thought I might check in. 

I would be happy to Beta test also if that is still on the table.

Cheers, Lucas

Denis Kotsee

We're going to announce the release date of the DAM soon (it's going to take us less than 3 months, I promise). Sorry for such a long delay. We want to make this right.

Christoph Haug

> it's going to take us less than 3 months, I promise

Is it going to be three months until the release or until you announce the release?

Denis Kotsee

I'm hoping for both but definitely the release date.

Artem Rodin

Hi!

Is it still under development? Will it support import Lightroom's catalogs? Will it support manage (not edit) video files?

Anastasia Davis

Hi Artem,

Yes, we are working hard on the platform. We've posted a short video showing the DAM in action, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSoEiro0K3Y&feature=youtu.be

Regarding its features, we will start revealing them soon :)

K.G. Wuensch

@Nastia you have revealed enough to know that you were totally out of your depths in designing the file browser.

The way the previews are scaled according to the needs of wanting to fill a line fully makes it totally useless as an organizational tool! And guess what a file browser or DAM needs to be first and foremost? An organizational tool and as such what your video shows it's a complete failure because you can't make any comparison on the basis that differently scaled previews will predispose any selection towards the bigger, more detailed preview!

Nigel Turley

Please tell me there's going to be an option to switch off the automatic scaling for landscape / portrait images in the browser. I can see that some design genius in Skylum probably likes the look of an evenly spaced grid of images but they obviously don't regularly use a DAM to quickly compare and cull images. If this is the direction you're taking with your internal testing then please get an open beta out to real users so we can make some sensible suggestions. 

Christoph Haug

I have to agree, unfortunately. And att Adobe, they are probably having champagne right now. - Not what I had hoped for. :-)

Honestly, this is a disaster of some magnitude. There are two likely ways how this saga will continue: 1. some smart people at Skylum will realize what an utter failure the DAM module will be and decide to completely redo it (Google "design thinking"). As a result, the release will be delayed for another year. 2. The release goes ahead as planned and Luminar will not be the big game changer that it aspired (?) to be but just another image editing app with some nice filters.

I'm not sure which of the two is worse.

K.G. Wuensch

@Nigel, not only must they do a public beta, they also need to listen to their users, that is something they seem incapable of.

I know a lot of users personally and everyone I talked to complained about the unpredictable noise reduction applied when opening RAW files - that alone disqualifies Luminar as a workflow tool, the DAM as it seems is just another inept development which only show how out of touch Skylum is regarding the needs of photographers!

Please sign in to leave a comment.