Provide layer/filter masking activating/deactivating

Comments

8 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fernando,

You can toggle the visibility of a mask by clicking on the Visibility icon on the masking toolbar. It looks like an eye.

Comment actions Permalink
    Fernando Ariznavarreta

Amgela, I am not talking about layer visibility, but activating or deactivating the mask associated with a layer or a filter.

In PS you can have a laye visible and activate or deactivate its mask.

That is of great help in seeing how your mask developes and if the filter or changes produce undesired effects due to the mask you are creating or not (a too steep transition in your mask can produce halos for example if you adjustment in the filter is too strong).

Tim Trim

That doesn't make sense in Luminar - if you have created a layer and added a mask layer then toggle visibility as suggested.

This equally applies to a filter if a filter mask is applied.

Either you are adjusting the whole image or a portion of it via a mask.

Julia Kot Kot

Have you tried to undo the applied changes using History Panel? 

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Thank you, Julia.

That may be a work around to see the effects if editing the mask is the last thing you did.

But it is of no help if you edit your mask in several steps and do other things between them.

@TIm:

it does the same sense that it has in Photoshop: quickly seeing the difference between applying the effect to the hole image or the masked zones.

IT helps seeing if your mask produces undesired effects or if you are smoothing the effect enough.

Changing visibility only shows the difference between applying or not the filter to the masked zones, which a different thing.

Tim Trim

So you want a toggle between a filled layer mask across the whole image and the drawn mask?

Sherwood Botsford

I think he wants to toggle between NO mask and whole image.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fernando,

I think this is what you are looking for? On the layer with the mask, click the Brush icon and choose brush to activate the mask. You can then navigate to the visibility icon on the masking toolbar and toggle it to view and hide the mask.

Please let me know if that helps!

Please sign in to leave a comment.