Computer does not support openGL

Comments

19 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Andy,

Our developers are working on resolving this issue. In the meantime you can download the previous version of Luminar here which does not require OpenGL3.3.

Please let us know how it goes.

Roy Blackwell

Windows PC: Don't know if the system requirements have been recently updated, but currently it does state as a system requirement a graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.3.

https://skylum.com/luminar/user-manual/2018/windows/system-requirements-for-windows-os

Fernando Ariznavarreta

OpenGL 3.3 graphics compatibility from your video card is listed in the technical requisites under windows.

If your graphics card does not support is by hardware, and/or your drivers don't provide OpenGL 3.3 you only can change your graphics card.

Lightroom classic CC needs DirectX 12 and OpenGL 3.3 compatibility too in order to have accelerated graphics.

Is this requisite new to the Jupiter version, or it was previous to it?

I don't think so, but am not sure.

Technical requisites (like opengl compatibility) should not change in minor updates, and should receive enough visibility for the current users.

K.G. Wuensch

@Ferdinand, LR does work without OpenGL, you just wont get some performance enhancements. Luminar doesn‘t work at all without OpenGL. And on many computers you can not change the graphics card - because they are notebooks and a lot of them don‘t have OpenGL 3.3 compatibility yet, 

Andy Martin

Hi Angela,

I have downloaded and opened successfully the previous version, thank you.

With regard to a previous comment by Roy Blackwell,  changing the minimum requirements just to get an update to work obviously will mean that suddenly, the graphics cards of, how many knows, Luminor users are now obsolete.  That is not acceptable to people that have paid for and using Luminor up till now. 

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Yes, K.G. you are right, LR works without openGL (it is slow but works).

But Luminar asks for openGL 3.3 compatibility one cannot complain about it if his computer does not provide it.

Your issue is not a general problem with Intel HD integrated processors, as it works on other graphics processors as the Surface 3 (I own one too) and my i7-8700 with UHD 630.

It seems a problem with that specific processor, as it is compatible with OpenGL 3.3 it should work, technical support should investigate the issue.

I have commented in other posts that skylum should not change the requirements for the PC or graphics processor in a minor update, too.

K.G. Wuensch

@Fernando, on the same computer that (with the Nvidia gaming graphics card enabled) Luminar takes between 20-30 seconds to open a Canon 7D2 RAW file while Lightroom wothout the OpenGL support enabled flies and takes under 2 seconds to render and show the image. So don‘t talk about Lightroom being slow, it‘s blazingly fast compared to the snail pace that Luminar now has... Luminar isn‘t going to replace Lightroom subscription for me ever because I make extensive  use of the cloud features. DAM and the excellent rendering results.

Even if Luminar weren‘t so slow it‘s automatic noise reduction that you can‘t disable outright kills it as a RAW developer. As long as that doesn‘t change, Luminar is nothing more than an overhyped set of fun plugins for Lightroom and Photoshop and I still rue the day I was duped into buying it... Now changing the system requirements is another killer blow to the credibility of the program.

Luc Verlinde

I completely agree with K.G. Have a 7D II as well, and the difference between loading a raw file in LR and Lum is at LEAST a factor ten. Lum remains VERY slow, no matter what Skylum claims. Faulty architecture in Lum.

Peter Sambell

I'm also impacted by the Error Msg - Computer does not support Open GL3.3 and it's really annoying.  Why allow us to download a new version that will not work?  I'm now in need of an urgent fix and do not have the time required to try yo find an old version of Luminar 2018.  It's a great pity that this type of error has occurred with this product and I hope you can release a new version which works for all computers which previously could run Luminar 2018.

Julia Kot

Hey guys,

Are you running Luminar on a laptop or a desktop?

If you're on a laptop, it's highly likely that it has a discrete graphics card that can run Luminar but your system is defaulting to the built-in card that doesn't support OpenGL 3.3. Please refer to the manufacturer's website for more info about the availability of the discrete graphics card in your laptop, its capabilities, and on how to force an application to run on it.

In case you have a desktop you're probably already running on a discrete video card. If updating drivers didn't solve the issue then it's very likely that you have an older card that doesn't support modern standards of computer graphics. You might want to consider replacing your old card with a more powerful one.

There's also a possibility that your desktop doesn't have a discrete video card and you're running on the one that's built into the motherboard. If that's the case, purchasing a discrete card should solve this.

To check info about your graphics renderer, please download the application from this link.

Install the app, launch it and send us the screenshot with the information about your graphics renderer in the following format: 

K.G. Wuensch

@Julia,

I am running on a laptop and both built in graphics cards support OpenGL way better than your software requires - according to the program (I still can't attach a graphics) the one that I want to use supports OpenGL up to 4.3 and the one I can use (although I will never use it because it drains the battery in under an hour instead of the 8 that the other allows to use the laptop) supports OpenGL up to 4.4. Still both should be supported, and it's only Luminar that's incapable of running on the CPU built in graphics card. Your answer is quite insulting because it assumes that anyone is willing to buy a new computer to run your software!

René Pirker

I have a IntelR) Core(TM) i5-2557M and after installation of Skylum Luminar 2018 and loading an image I get a notification that OpenGL 3.3 and higher isneeded and that I should update my graphic drivers.

Tried to update but failed and so I can't try your software which makes me pretty sad cause I expected quite a lot of it.

Could you please manage to get me running it on my system?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rene,

Are you running Luminar on a laptop or a desktop?

If you're on a laptop, it's highly likely that it has a discrete graphics card that can run Luminar but your system is defaulting to the built-in card that doesn't support OpenGL 3.3. Please refer to the manufacturer's website for more info about the availability of the discrete graphics card in your laptop, its capabilities, and on how to force an application to run on it.

In case you have a desktop you're probably already running on a discrete video card. If updating drivers didn't solve the issue then it's very likely that you have an older card that doesn't support modern standards of computer graphics. You might want to consider replacing your old card with a more powerful one.

There's also a possibility that your desktop doesn't have a discrete video card and you're running on the one that's built into the motherboard. If that's the case, purchasing a discrete card should solve this.

To check info about your graphics renderer, please download the application from this link.

Install the app, launch it and send us the screenshot with the information about your graphics renderer in the following format: 

K.G. Wuensch

@Julia,

no, if the computer has one of the recent Intel Core processors it is highly unlikely that it has a separate graphics card, laptop or not! Only gaming machines still have the option but then it’s highly likely they run an i7 Core processor. Anyhow, if they do have that option then the problems with Lumnar are bigger because only selected, rather old graphics drivers are certified for such hardware (and it is a struggle to keep Windows 10 from installing newer drivers which lose access to the separate graphics card) and they mostly support DirectX properly, OpenGL in those always is an afterthought and works iffy at best. 

Bob Warwick

My Samsung laptop has an i7 CPU and Intel HD3000 graphics.  I was running along happily with the prior version of Luminar until one day in April, I fired it up and learned there was a wonderful new Luminar version.  I saw no warning that my existing graphics card would no longer be sufficient to run Luminar and upgraded.  However, it did not work and I got the dreadful message that Open GL 3.3 was required.  There are no new drivers from Intel to support Open GL 3.3 on my laptop's graphics hardware. I cannot change the laptop's graphics card as you could in a desktop. 

But at that time (April) I googled and read replies from Skylum that you were working on a solution.  So OK, I figured can wait. However it is now 2 months later and I see that the problem remains and no solution is posted.  Is my only solution to actually go back to the old version as I have seen in some Skylum replies?  That would mean I will never get Luminar bug fixes or enhancements.  Please advise if I have wasted my money on Luminar and should bite the bullet and get other photo enhancement software.  That would be cheaper than buying a new laptop. That would be a shame as I was enjoying Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bob,

I'm so sorry for this frustration. We are still working on a solution, but I don't have an ETA on the fix quite yet. We do suggest reinstalling the earlier version for now until the issue is sorted out. 

Bob Warwick

5 more months have passed and I have not seen any solution to the OpenGL 3.3 is required problem.  .  I did NOT try to install the older version that worked until I installed an update.  I read comments about other users trying to uninstall and reinstall the old version unsuccessfully and figured I would just wat for the fix.  But all has gone quiet and I am not seeing any recent posts.  Has everyone just given up?   Has Skylum abandoned us?

Anna Veres

Hi Bob, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately, we had to change the minimal requirements for the software.

Now to run the app you need to have the Graphics Card that supports Open GL 3.3 

There are several solutions if your system only supports a version of OpenGL that is lower than 3.3.

Solution 1. Hardware upgrade.

All modern graphics cards have support for OpenGL 3.3 out of the box, and all the latest software puts increasingly high requirements for hardware configuration of your computer. If you want to enjoy the latest and the most powerful software packages, a hardware upgrade might be in order.

Solution 2. Use the previous version of Luminar.

You can download Luminar that has support for older graphics cards here:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/luminar2018/_old_1.1.1_Luminar_2018_Setup.exe

If you need the assistance with reinstalling the app, please contact us at support@skylum, we will be glad to help you.

Solution 3. Request a refund.

Our users are our most important priority, so, if you'd rather prefer this option over the previous two, just let us know, and we'll issue a refund at your earliest convenience.

K.G. Wuensch

@Bob, yes it seems like that. They are unable (as expected, OpenGL on Windows is a quagmire only very few big development companies tackle, Skylum is way out of their league here) to provide a solution to this problem. Not that I care anymore, I have got my refund...

@Sylum: That is an really really arrogant stance, and that from a company that doesn't even manage to implement the very basics like color management!

Please sign in to leave a comment.