Luminar 2018 not exporting back to Lightroom

Comments

50 comments

Konstantin Zolo

Hi Adam,

To use Luminar 2018 as a Lightroom plug-in, please follow the steps below: 

1. Launch Luminar 2018 click on Load a sample image.

2. On Mac, click on the app name menu (Luminar 2018) in the top navigation bar near the Apple logo.

On Windows, click on "File" menu.

3. Choose "Install Plugins".

4. A dialog box will pop-up telling you which host applications are already installed on your system and available to accept plug-ins.

5. Select Lightroom Click > Install.

Access Luminar 2018 from Adobe Lightroom in the following way:

• When viewing an Image in either the Library or Develop modules: 

• Right-click on the image > Export > Export to Luminar 2018 > You have the option to Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like Luminar 2018 to use, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments

After applying adjustments in Luminar 2018, your photo should appear in Lightroom's Catalog > All Photographs. 

Let me know if any assistance is needed.

Comment actions Permalink
    Adam Cornwell

Thanks Konstantin. Interestingly, after I right-click the image> Export > Export to Luminar 2018 and apply my edits to the image, the edited image appears right in my LR catalog next to the original image (as it should). 

Now if only I could find the image I edited yesterday...

Marco Stockmann

Reload LR or you must klick the 4 tabs in catalog in your lr libary.

David Roby

Make sure you check in "All photographs" and not just "Previous import"

Adam Cornwell

Thanks guys. I checked "All Photographs" and don't see any new images. I've also reloaded LR multiple times in the process of trying to sort it out. I think Luminar exported my image to the ethersphere.

Wayne Greaves

I bet it exported the edited photo to the original location of the image on your computer probably your pictures folder or subfolder if that is where your images were. That was the problem I was having for a while.

Adam Cornwell

Thanks Wayne, you're exactly right. I found the .tiff files in the LR folder.

Adam Cornwell

So, apparently it's not actually working after all. Doesn't matter if I (in LR):

• right-click > export > edit a copy with LR adjustments or,
    • right-click > export > open source files

No matter what, it dumps the Luminar-edited version in the LR catalog folder, but never actually loads it into LR. Ironically, in the top left corner of LR it does show 2 processes running, but then nothing happens. This was never a problem with the first version of Luminar that I'm aware of. So frustrating when I can't use something I paid for and would like to use more often.

• file > plug-in extras > transfer to Luminar 2018 also does not work

Every LR plug-in I've ever tried works without a hitch. What's the deal with Luminar? This isn't rocket science!

Tim Ford

If you have the issue again where you can't find your edited image, you can try this:

• Right click on any image in the catalog that contains the missing image and choose "go to folder in library"
    • Right click on the resulting folder and choose "Synchronize Folder"
    • You'll see a dialog box pop up, and if any new images have been added to the folder that aren't already in Lightroom, you'll see that the "Import new photos" checkbox is available. You can then sync the folder and the missing images will be added. The catch at this point is that the newly imported image will be the ONLY image showing, so you have to repeat the "go to folder in library" step to get back to having Lightroom showing all of the images. It's really odd, but it works.

Hope this helps!

Adam Cornwell

Thanks Tim! I'll give it a try.

Now if only Skylum would tell me what's wrong and how to fix it...

GREGORY BELL

They have to know that this a problem!!! this ridiculous  i cant get it to work either using all these methods it puts it in my Lightroom folder edited but not in my Lightroom program, they should have just said it does not work with lightrom windows version simple as that not all this workaround crap! 

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone,

Depending on the method you use to edit your photos, they appear in different locations after you click Apply in Luminar.

• Edit in > Edit A Copy With Lightroom Adjustments creates a copy in Previous Import folder.
    • Edit in > Edit A Copy also creates a copy in Previous Import folder.
    • Edit in > Edit Original alters the original file.
    • Export > Open Source Files creates a copy under All Photographs in Lightroom's catalog.
    • Export > Edit A Copy With Lightroom Adjustments also creates a copy under All Photographs in Lightroom's catalog.
    • File > Plug-in Extras also creates a copy under All Photographs in Lightroom's catalog.

In the file system all edits, regardless of the method you used, appear in the same folder as the original file.

We're releasing a DAM for Luminar soon with a clear and straightforward way of telling the app how you want to edit a photo.

Adam Cornwell

I hear you Gregory. The funny thing is it used to work correctly before. Hope they fix whatever is causing this problem in the next release.

Bob Geilings

Just updated luminar as well as aurora, same problem with both applications. The only way to get the edited photos back into LR is to import them again. It usie to work properly. Really annoying.

Hope there will be a fix soon.

Denis Kotsee

When you invoke Aurora or Luminar as a plugin, LR takes off the focus of the folder from which you took the brackets to send to Aurora. When you hit Apply in Aurora, and your image gets put into the folder on your HDD, the only thing you need to do in order to make the merge appear in LR is to click the folder where your brackets were: LR will re-focus on the folder and pull the files that are currently in it.

Also, please use right-click on an image > Export > one of the options under Aurora in order to send images to the plugin, this is the preferred way to work with it.

Arbee Pachao

I just tried searching the net for any answer to this or anybody having the same problems because i just reinstalled/updated luminar too. It used to work back then that after editing, it appears directly on lightroom. Now, it does not show into lightroom after exporting. Just to give a bit of my background, 21 years experience tinkering with computers, 10 years with lightroom and adobe photoshop so with this cleared, yes, plugins have been installed/reinstalled correctly.

Arbee Pachao

after some more testing, i managed to make it export back into lightroom. THE FACT THAT IT WAS A NEW INSTALL meant that export options were reset too so it was exporting in jpeg when supposed to be it should have been exporting it back as a .tiff file (option i chose when i exported it out of lightroom into luminar) and one has to make sure the pathfile is the same as the original. it will prompt for the file is existing already and if one wants to overwrite, click yes and it will update file which will update file catalogue of lightroom. voila! it appears back into lightroom.

Kathy Malatesta

I am having the same issue. 

Mac running 10.13.6 - I just updated Luminar and the images are not exporting properly back to Lightroom. I can see the .tiff files if I look at the finder window or if I try to reimport them. However, nothing allows me to actually access the files. If I search for the file name within LR, it says the file does not exist.

I export my images to edit the originals in Luminar.

I cannot function like this.

Angela Andrieux

@Kathy - Can you check to see if your photos are visible by going to Lightroom > Library module > Catalog panel (left menu bar) > All Photographs?

If so, the issue is likely that you started editing immediately after importing photos. Just after import LR is showing a temporary folder for recent imports - by clicking into All Photographs it will take you back in to the actual file structure and then you should be able to find your images in the Folders panel as usual.

Bob Geilings

This on did the trick for me, thanks!

Kathy Malatesta

I can see them that way - after rebooting both LR and the computer. However, I imported the photos days ago. So there is more going on than it being the fault of a recent import.

Angela Andrieux

@Kathy - I'm glad to hear that the photos are visible in All Photographs - though it is strange that you had to reboot to see them there. Is it possible that the image was from the most recent import? It wouldn't necessarily have to be the same day or any particular timeframe - just the most recent import to be in the Recent Imports shortcut/temporary folder.

Susanna Suomela

I started to have the same problem as well after having updated both Luminar and Aurora. I couldn't find a proper fix for this, so, for now, I just click "Import" every time I have applied edits to my photos in Luminar/Aurora, and the images in question seem to be already marked for import to Lightroom. I can live with this, however, it would be nice if the Skylum plug-ins could function as seamlessly as they used to do before the recent updates...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Susanna - 

Did you check to see if your photos are visible by going to Lightroom > Library module > Catalog panel (left menu bar) > All Photographs?

If they are there, the issue is likely that you started editing immediately after importing photos. Just after import LR is showing a temporary/shortcut folder called Previous Import - by clicking into All Photographs it will take you back in to the actual file structure and then you should be able to find your images in the Folders panel as usual.

Please let me know if that solves the problem. Thanks!

Tony Sprackett

I've found that when old images (like from a couple of years ago) go back into LR after working in Luminar, they don't show up as the active photo any more, making them a bit tricky to locate sometimes.

I've been able to locate the desired image in my thousands of images LR catalogue by doing a Text filter by filename "Luminar", taking advantage of the fact that Luminar is by default inserted into the filename of the edited file.

Maybe that will be useful for others.

Susanna Suomela

@Angela, unfortunately, that didn't work in my case. The only way is to import them from my Lightroom backup (?) folders, where they are always already marked for import. The seamless switching between Lr and Luminar/Aurora does not work any more either, i.e. when I export images to Luminar/Aurora, their editing windows don't automatically open over Lr window as they used to do even though the programs themselves do open. I have to switch manually from the taskbar.

The "Luminar" text filter used by @Tony is an interesting idea, have to try it.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Susanna,

Thank you for letting me know that did not work. Can you describe your Lightroom to Luminar workflow for me, step by step? I haven't encountered the issue you're describing so perhaps once I know your process I can suggest an alternative.

For reference, here is a link to the User Guide on using Luminar as a Lightroom plugin: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-manual/2018/windows/installing-luminar-as-a-plugin

Susanna Suomela

Hi Angela,

I normally export images to Luminar/Aurora after having done some adjustments first in Lightroom, so I choose Export > Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments. Occasionally, I may use the "Open source files" option instead. Depends on the image. Usually, I export to Luminar from the Library module of Lr, less often from the Develop module. Normally I export from the date-specific folder instead of straight from "Previous import". Then I do my edits in Luminar/Aurora and click "Apply" > Luminar/Aurora exports the image and closes. Earlier I was straight back to Lightroom, now I have to reopen the Lightroom window by clicking its icon on the taskbar (I'm using Win 10). However, the edited image cannot be found on the Library grid view as it used to be earlier, yet I can see it in the Lightroom backup folders, and if I click import, I can import it from the same backup folders, where the newly edited image is already marked for import.

The problem with switching seamlessly between the programs might be a Lightroom problem, as I now seem to have it with my other Lr plug-ins as well (Nik Collection), however the images edited in the Nik plug-ins do appear normally in the Lr library, when I have applied my edits and return to Lr, whereas the images edited in the Skylum plug-ins now remain hidden in the backup folders and require an extra import.

The problem with the required extra import began after I installed recent updates in both Luminar and Aurora. I've preordered the new Aurora 2019, interesting to see if this problem will disappear after the upgrade tomorrow.

However, thanks a lot for your help in this! And as I said, I can live with this, now that I know where to find those hide-and-seek-playing images... :-)

Angela Andrieux

Hi Susanna,

Thank you for the thorough walkthrough! It looks like you are following the typical procedure so I don't have any suggestions there, but something is certainly amiss in that you have to manually reimport the photos.

Since the issue started after running updates you may want to open both Luminar and Aurora (as a standalone with Lightroom closed) and then go to File > Install plugins. Click the button to uninstall the plugins and then reinstall them. Once done close Luminar and Aurora and restart Lightroom and process as usual.

Let me know if that changes anything.

Susanna Suomela

That did the trick, great! Thank you! :-)

Please sign in to leave a comment.