Luminar (PC Windows 10) sharpness problem

Answered

Comments

41 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Patrick,

We would highly appreciate if you can send us the original image files so that we can test it on our side.

Please upload the file to www.WeTransfer.com & send us shared for everyone link.

Thank you in advance!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Duc Vu Anh

I have exactly the same problem with Xtrans RAW file from Fujifilm XT-2. Hope to hear the feedback from you soon

Hans-Werner Franck
    Hi Patrick,
    I know your problem from the L18 version 1.1.1. What version do you have?
    10 days ago, the new version was not available yet. Let's try an update to version 1.2.
    Regards
    Patrick WK

Hi Julia

https://we.tl/P7q6KSObsq

Here is the link of the image. Actually, you don't really need to use my file. I find that any jpg files (iphone, samsung, Fuji X-E2) all have the same "blurry" problem on screen. Thank you in advance for you help and hope that you can figure out what I set wrongly. 

Patrick WK

Hi Franck,

Thank you very much for your comment. I used both versions (10days ago) and the latest version (installed yesterday). Both have the same "blurry" on screen problem. 

Regards
    Patrick

Patrick WK

Actually, the imaged attached in the opening post was from the latest version of Luminar 2018.

Konstantin Zolo

Thank you for sending us your files!

Does the blur appear upon opening or after applying any filters/presets?

Patrick WK

I did not apply anything. Just open the jpg file as a image viewer, zoom to 100% to compare with other image viewer such as XnView and Windows 10 photo app. The reason why I do this comparison is that it is quite blur to me and it should not be like that . Thus I install XnView to confirm it is not the problem of the Windows 10 photo app. You may try to open any of your jpg files and zoom it to 100% to see how it looks comparing to other image viewer.

Remarks: today I opened the same image using Photoshop at office, again, it showed same sharpness as Xnview and Windows 10 photo app. So, only Luminar 2018 shows "not sharp" image. 

My trial period is going to expire soon. Thus, I hope other users in this forum can help me to follow this case. I will not purchase until I find a solution. Thank you very much. 

Tim Hanko

Been having the same problem with .orf (raw) files for my Olympus OM-D E-M1.2. Disturbing loss of sharpness on import. No processing of any kind done at all.

Using Luminar Jupiter

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Tim,

Could you please go to your display settings and send us the screenshot of your settings, the one like this:

Tim Hanko

Sample of screen with MS Snipping tool

Tim Hanko

Side by side of Luminar and Irfanview.

Duc Vu Anh

seems to find the cause of problem of losing sharpness. i am using surface pro 4 and text scale is set at 200% (Recommended). set it at 100% and the open file is sharp but text is too small to be usable.

beside 100% zoom is bigger than it should be too. pls try

Patrick WK

Hi all, I confirm that by setting the display to 100% as suggested by Julia, the problem of losing sharpness is gone. Unfortunately, same as what Duc Vu AnH suffers, the text is extremely small to be usable! But why other image viewer apps do not have this kind of problem, such as XnView and Windows 10 default photo app? This stops me buying Luminar after the trial period, too bad. 

Patrick WK

In addition, no wonder in Luminar when I set to 100%, it is double as large as what 100% in Xnview or Windows 10 photo app. This is because it is further enlarger by the display setting 200%. 

However, if I set it to 50% in Luminar (that is the same size as 100% in Xnview or win10 photo app) just like the image shown in the opening post, losing sharpness is shown. 

Thus, the only way to get back the "correct" sharpness is to set the display back to 100% in windows setting but then all text and icons are too small to be usable. 

Angela Andrieux

Patrick WK & Duc Vu Anh,

Our devs are aware of this issue and are working on a solution. It will be fixed in a future update.

Patrick WK

How do I know this has been fixed because in the "What's new", the website only describes the big improvement like speed ... etc but does not mention any bugs have been fixed. I wish there is a place that I can keep track on it to see if this has been fixed, then I can buy Luminar right away. 

Finally, thank you very much for all the helpful replies. 

Konstantin Zolo

Patrick,

Well, that's a good question. I guess the only way for you to know is to subscribe to our mailing list and ask our support team to reset a trial when the next update is released.

Patrick WK

Finally, I bought Luminar 2018 this morning although Windows PC version has the problem shown in the post. I have iMac as well and find that Mac version does not have such problem. Meanwhile I will use iMac while waiting for a fix in the future update for Windows version. Cheers.

By the way, there is a bonus pack called SkyOverlaysPart1 to Part4. How to use it? There is no instruction in the 4 zips files. Thanks. 

Julia Kot Kot

The Sky Overlay files are the image files which can be used as image layers in Luminar 2018.

They cannot be permanently stored in Luminar and you shouldn't install them. You just keep them on your hard drive and use when needed as New Image Layer.

These files are meant to help you when you want to replace the sky in a photo. Here's the video tutorial demonstrating that:

https://skylum.com/video-galleries/sky-replacement-luminar-2018

Kim Serritslev

I got similar problems with my luminar on windows 10. My raw photos are clearly unsharp when opened in Luminar, but when opened with lightroom, photoshop or with windows "photo", they are sharp. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kim,

Raw photos will need to be sharpened as the camera does not apply sharpening to raw photos.

What you are likely seeing in Windows "photo" is the embedded jpg preview. In Lightroom (or Photoshop's ACR), depending on your settings you could also be looking at. a jpg preview OR Lightroom/ACR may have added some default sharpening (check the Detail panel in the Develop Module).

Each raw conversion tool on the market has a different algorithm for converting and viewing raw photos, so that can also account for differences.

Kim Freyberg

Hi Angela

So you're saying that lightroom (or photoshop), already has added sharpening beforehand when I open the raw photo in lightroom/photoshop in contrary to Luminar that doesn't do that?

Nikolay Bobrovskiy

Using Luminar 1.2.0.1886 and having the same problem - blurry image and wrong scale: 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/donnicky_screenshots/2018-06-18_19-47-15_ccef630a-acdd-4a5d-b2df-45b252722ffc.jpg

Screen text scaling is set to 150% (recommended value) and cannot be set to 100%, because text will be impossible to read on HDPI display.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kim,

Depending on your settings in Lightroom, yes - it is applying a small amount of default sharpening. Luminar does not apply any sharpening unless you apply the Sharpening filter or add sharpening upon export.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Nikolay,

Our developers are aware of the issue and will fix it in a future update. For now our best suggestion is to set your screen scaling to 100%. It should resolve the issue in Luminar.

Alan Bergfeld

I have the same blurry image issue with the sample jpg included with demo. Looks great in PSE, but awful in Win10 Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Alan,

Are you using a high resolution monitor with scaling set to greater than 100%? If so, we are aware of the issue and will fix it in a future update.

Kim Freyberg

Angela, I'm not sure what you mean If the lightroom is set to sharpness. I haven't touch sharpness in lightroom settings. But I like the first view of my photos in lightroom IF the photo is sharp of course. But every single photo I open in Luminar looks unsharp and dull. I don't know where I can adjust this sharpen-issue in Luminar.

Can It really be true that a raw photo, taken directly from the camera do look very unsharp. In my camera I have set to sharp.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kim,

Unless you've altered Lightroom's default settings (such as applying your own preset upon import) if you jump to the Develop module and click the Detail section - you'll notice that Lightroom has already applied some amount of sharpening to an image.

Also, in the Library module - it will initially show you the JPG previews from your camera (which the camera has applied sharpening to), not the raw files. The raw previews take longer to load. To see the raw, you need to click over to Develop and then keep in mind that Lightroom does apply sharpening as well.

Luminar does not apply any sharpening upon import which is why your photo might look very unsharp compared to the Lightroom version.

If you'd like to get a closer comparison I suggest creating a preset in Luminar with the Sharpening filter that adds some small amount of sharpening that you can add with one click - that will give you a similar comparison to the Develop module in Lightroom.

Please sign in to leave a comment.