ability to add keywords / metadata

Comments

13 comments

Julia Kot

Hi!

Thanks for sharing this with us. We will consider adding such possibility while working on DAM system for Luminar 2018.

Comment actions Permalink
    Fernando Ariznavarreta

I expect DAM to be fully integrated with Luminar, as I don't want to be going back an forth betewwn programs.

This kind of things is what you expect from a DAM, I cannot imagine a DAM without the option to manage the keywords of the photos.

I suppose that functionality is already working in the developing DAM.

Steve Ratts

I’d like to add my voice to this request. I would very much like to be able to add keywords to images in the catalog in Luminar 3, and also to be able to sort by those! It’s great that I can color code images, but that capability is just far too limiting. I shoot wildlife and want to be able to tag images for their subjects by species and other criteria. The few colors available are just not enough for that and would quickly become confusing

Chuck Jones

I presently have 40,000 photos in Aperture.  In addition, I haven't yet imported (how many?) photos from my two-month trips to Africa, Spain and Japan.  

I view Luminar as my "go to" photo editor and DAM when whenever Aperture finally bites the dust or Luminar has a DAM that I can actually use.  I watched your recent video and like what I saw.  

HOWEVER, I hope you realize that I have such an existing investment in Metadata (keywords, locations, etc.) that I simply cannot move to Luminar until my Meta and Exif data can be imported along with the photos.

Dmytro Boyko

Hi Chuck, you can follow our roadmap here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

We might also extend and change this roadmap, so please stay tuned.

Do you want to automatically import all the META/EXIF data?

K.G. Wuensch

If I were you I would wait for a year or two if Luminar survives the many blunders the developers make. Currently they stumble from bad to worse releases and there is little time to do any meaningful development. Especially as they botched the database design which will eventually mean that you‘ll lose all your keywords and all your edits because the design prevents a functional restore to other drives than the original ones...

Colin Grant

@KG - have Skylum confirmed the restoration issue as being the case. Why will the design "eventually" mean keywords will be lost. That suggests it is a definite...it will happen. Again have Skylum responded to this point?

K.G. Wuensch

It is in the database design. It uses unique hardware identifiers to locate the images - and the „eventually“ refers to the time you switch hardware and need to move your inages or the database or the „edit state files“ to a new storage space. It already prevents the iCloud synchronisation across different Mac but it equally makes backing up your database pointless...

Colin Grant

Then Skylum need to confirm this and advise us what they intend to do. If what you are saying is true then we should all be looking for alternatives to the L3 dam. Could someone from Skylum please advise users what the position is. Is there a real issue here?

Steve Ratts

@KG, Can you please point us to where you found this information? This is the first time I recall hearing that databases are tied to specific HW and can't be migrated, and I've been reading this forum pretty regularly. Must have missed it, and would appreciate knowing more about it.

If this is true, then you're right there is a serious problem and it will need to be addressed.

K.G. Wuensch

It was discussed in two threads about iCloud integration not working and previously analyzed by another user looking into the database which is a standard SQLite you can open with available SQLite browsers and you‘ll see that the stored path contains the hardware ID of the drive that the image resides on...

Steve Ratts

Thanks KG,

Thanks for that link. You've uncovered some interesting details about what's in a .luminar sqlite database and I can understand how this could imply a flaw in the implementation - but Skylum did respond to this in that thread and asserted its possible for mac to mac and windows to windows catalog sharing via Dropbox or similar means. I take that to indicate that there's more going on under the hood and that a catalog isn't in fact tied to specific HW.

This makes me wonder if the content of a luminar database may be flexible or adaptable to more use cases and that what you found might have been particular to what's in a catalog for a particular use case - but I'm guessing here and would be interested in a more detailed response from Skylum.

I'll probably test this out when I get home and have access to my desktop again. They say it can be done, so why not put them to the test, especially since they've just released 3.0.1 today.

BTW, they've stated in other threads that the catalog file can be moved, which implies that it can therefore be backed up and restored. This may not explain why you found what you did in the .luminar database, but it does indicate their awareness of the need for this fundamental capability which they claim they've already got.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035994911-Suggestion-about-Catalog

Please sign in to leave a comment.