Please add color management (after 1.2)

Comments

89 comments

Timothy Burgess

Hi Chris!

Interesting work around, but not for many reasons.

Here is 1 that sticks out. 

Let's take one of the best features of the Skylum tech (Photolemur / Luminar).
    AI

So you click Accent AI.

The image you are now looking at through your monitor is not what the AI processing intends you to see. It is garble of colour far from what any reference image the machine learning intended to create. You can follow the steps you have suggested, assign your profiles, but the image will still look like rubbish & not as Skylum/AI processing intended.

The work around you have suggested is not a work around in any useful sense for high volume image processing.

Cheers, T

Chris Bateman

Hi Tim!

My only claim here is that the workaround will make your image look like it did while you were editing in Luminar. That's it!

Personally - I don't really care what the "Skylum/AI processing intended." I just care about what I'm seeing - that's where I decide what's "rubbish" and what's not.

Also - I never claimed the workaround would be practical for high volumes, but it is possible to set up batch processing in Photoshop if you really wanted to.

K.G. Wuensch

@Chris, that assumes two things. First that you have PS at your disposal and second that Luminar does anything worthwhile to your images that you can't do in PS. The first is a given for all subscribers of the photographers bundle but the second IMHO is no longer viable. I haven't even bothered to install the Luminar plugin anymore after I got the recent PS update.

Timothy Burgess

👍

Chris Bateman

@KG, Yes, the Photoshop workaround requires Photoshop. And yes, you would only be using Luminar if you wanted to use Luminar. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Franz Erlacher

Can somebody from the Skylum Team please inform us about color management ( implementation of the monitor profile) in the Luminar 3.0 Version for Windows ?

Would be very important for me as it is very complicatet to work with Luminar seeing fake oversaturated and underexposed colors on my wide gamut screen.

I will not believe you did not set the implementation of a basic feature like this on your to do list and i really wanna keep my Luminar as it is super fun to work with.

thanks

Angela Andrieux

Hi Franz,

We are working on improving color management for our Windows users. It is a very high priority item for us, but will likely be addressed in updates after the initial release of the Luminar Library (Luminar 3.0).

Franz Erlacher

This are good news !

Will current Luminar 2018 users get the Luminar 3.0 Version or just Updates for Luminar 2018 with equal functions ?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Franz,

Luminar 2018 users will get the upgrade to Luminar 3.0 in December for free.

Krzysztof Mazurkiewicz

Hi Skylum Team, 

I've just bought  Luminar to find out this major flow in otherwise very promising piece of editing software. This should be a priority issue for the team to be addressed asap if Luminar is meant to be  more then advanced editor for selfies before posting on FB :)  I am really disappointed at the moment as I  was really excited about  getting  and using  it as it seems it has potential to speed up  parts of the workflow  providing similar results or even replacing some subscription tools  in photographers inventory.... unfortunately not yet ... even with incoming libraries. Any chance for a rough ETA on CM in Luminar ?  I think  we're talking couple months  I and many others could wait knowing this is being addressed and worked hard as we speak if this is TBA at some point  no one knows when  but the team  is "aware of the issue"  I rather  go return/refund route.

Many thanks 

Chris 

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone - we hear you - Luminar 3 will be color managed.

Krzysztof Mazurkiewicz

thanks for  the update and good news!

Fr. Gabriel Hooten

Luminar 3 will be color managed at release, or at some unspecified future date?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fr. Gabriel Hooten,

Luminar 3 will be color managed at release.

Patrick Lehmann

ANGELA ANDRIEUX

but you know that with color management ... ICC profiles and soft proof is meant..bzw the choice of AdobeRGB or SRGB profile with RAW files? will Luminar 3 be able to do that?

Fernando Ariznavarreta

We are at luminar 1.3 and waiting still for 1.4 or whatever that will come in december.

Then there will be luminar 2 or luminar 2019 some time in 2019....

So I won't expect luminar 3 until 2020 at best.

Too much wait for me to get a developer with correct color management.

I will se if sometime in the future when there is a Luminar 3 or 4 it fullfils my expectations as developer and asset manager.

Now it does not keep up to the most basic ones, even it has a promising interface and some interesting filters.

But I cannot migrate from Luminar to a system that does not provide the most basic funcionality, nor recomend it to anybody.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fernando,

Luminar 3 (also referred to as Luminar 2019) will be released next month and will include the Library module and will be color managed on Windows.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Patrick,

Luminar 3 will support ICC profiles, but will not have soft proofing in the initial release. However, soft proofing may be added in a later update.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

ah, OK.

What a mess of version numbering, I have 1.2 installed, 2018 then 2019 jumps to v3?

So is the Luminar we are expecting for 18 december and that will be offered for free to those of us who purchased 2018.

That would be great news for me.

I did not expect softproofing yet, although it would be greatly wellcome.

But we were waiting for a correct colo management long, so it would be great if next version incorporates it.

If it has a decent asset manager which lets you brows and clasify images with ease, it will be a huge step.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fernando,

Please accept my apologies for the confusion. Luminar 2019 - also known as Luminar 3 will be the free upgrade released next month. It will have the new Library module and also color management for our Windows users.

ibon zabala

After install lumonar 3.0 color management srill don't work.
    I'm very frustrated

Timothy Burgess

Don't be frustrated. The whole thing barely works, the color management is the least of the worries for Skylum here. Just tested the new version & is pretty much unusable.

Was hoping for this to be a Lightroom alternative but has a very long way to go to being close to that.

Here's hoping that Skylum can get some more good coders on the team to fix this stuff up

Florent Segaert

I agree with ibon zabala. No change in Luminar 3 for color management.

K.G. Wuensch

@Timothy, the problem with good coders is that usually they toss all the code and the errant concepts - at least if they know their business. So they will have no chance at Skylum because errant concepts (see the 60% RAW filter application - I still don't know what a white balance correction to 5500K should be when applied at 60%) are their trademark...

Fr. Gabriel Hooten

Any response from Skylum on this???

Bryan Dawson

I agree with the the others, the colors still look over saturated and higher contrast in Luminar 3 than in LR or PS making it pretty much useless. 

Chris Bateman

FWIW, this workaround solved it for me: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360037391372-Color-problem-solved-in-Windows

You need to make sure that Windows is using the default "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" device profile. When I use my monitor profile, the colors are off in Luminar exports.

Greaybeard

How is the whole colour management (including softproof and printing) development going? I love Luminar but have to take images into an old version of PhotoShop to view and print. May need to move to ON1 when Apple kills 32bit.

Anna Veres

Hi, 

Luminar 3 currently is a color managed with the support of ICC profiles. 

Soft proofing is not available in Luminar 3 yet but we will do our best to add this feature in the future. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.