Please add color management (after 1.2)

Comments

87 comments

William Greenblatt

I'm very frustrated. This software is unusable without the ability to see colors with the proper profiles. The people above are right. I thought this would be fixed. But, it is obviously not something your engineers consider a priority. I'd like a refund, too.

Denis Kotsee

Please email us at support@skylum.com.

Pablo Leme

Thanks Denis.
    I regret that I just did so.

I was a bit disappointing to face such a basic problem, and I did find the reply, when I asked about it by by email, a little on the "don't bother us" side: ultimately it was saying the problem was my monitor (because it is a good pro monitor I assume), saying "it works smoothly on srgb". Well yeah, so what. I don't nor do any pro printer around.
    That's a rather careless reply when someone brings up the fact that a photo software is not color managed.  Some people won't mind, but letting your costumers make an informed choice seems a pretty basic stance from a commercial stand point.
    This all reminds me of a joke about a bad doctor, when the patient arrives and says, "it hurts when i do this", the doctor just says "well, then don't do that, come on, off you go".

I do however think that not mentioning that piece of info (srgb only)  would be, for a standard software, forgetting to mention they don't run or mac or windows.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, it's a telling sign that rather than have your developers do something ASAP about this major design flaw you are willing to issue refunds - I know how hard color management is to implement - it makes every step more compute intensive, thus slowing down image display considerably, especially if you are using OpenGL which makes it even harder because it circumvents any measures that Windows has to help you, but an image editor without color management isn't fit for sale, simple as that...

What is going to happen if you put a DAM over that shoddy framework? You are going to have to do more than issue refunds if people have their image collections botched by shoddy color management, they may even cull their collections based on false rendering - there the automatic noise reduction your RAW converter adds at it's own behest will be even more dangerous as it may look as if images were lacking in sharpness and thus not worth keeping when the only problem is the Luminar RAW conversion, not the image. But having false color would be a reason for me to cull images in some cases, namely if the color looks clipped beyond feasible repair (which is one of the possible false appearances when there isn't a solid color management is in place) - and since the histogram is derived from false information it too wouldn't help... What would you tell someone who used your DAM to cull his images and later he found out that between the ill conceived RAW noise reduction (which you can't disable nor influence) and lack of color management he lost images in the process?

Thomas Reicher

Same problem here with a calibrated wide gamut monitor under windows. Colors look way too saturated in Luminar compared to LR. Is the developer team still working on a solution to implement proper color management?

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Not for now.

They have said they are working in other priorities like the DAM.

Color management does not seem to be a high priority for them.

Uwe Mobil

Just a reminder hoping that these issues are going to be adressed and implemented.

Lacking softproofing and handling individual printer-profiles is a major disadvantage in this software.

Barbara Martin

I have just purchased Luminar and have looked everywhere to set colour profiles and to my horror there is no colour management! What good is a photo editor that does not use colour profiles? When is colour management to be included????

Daniel Scholz

@Barbara - as of now, there is indeed no color management in Luminar 2018. However, you can change DCP profiles in the RAW Develop filter. We might add color management in the future, but we have no immediate plans.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

This is enough for me.

One says that they have solved the color management and that we will see it in next revision.

Then comes another representative and says the do not have inmiediate plans of solving this elementary bug as if you were talking about a esoteric feature.

Any raw development or DCP profiles or whaterver you do about colors is completly useless if you cannot reproduce acurate colors in your monitor, your results would be like playing the russian roulette.

I will abandone Luminar and seek other products that make basic things correctly.

Nielk Mike

Daniel - that is a bummer. Wasn't CMS to come with the update in December? If not, please issue a refund to me because the Software is useless w/o CMS.

Angela Andrieux

@Nielk Mike - You can request a refund by emailing support@skylum.com.

Nielk Mike

Angela: Did that already and now again. No reply sofar.

Angela Andrieux

@Nielk Mike - Please allow up to 24 hours for a response. We do answer every email we receive. If you don't get a reply in that timeframe please let me know and I will look into it.

Nielk Mike

Angela: No reply.

Angela Andrieux

@Nielk Mike - So sorry about that! I just sent a message to our support team to check if we received your message. What was the email address you used to send it? Also, please be sure to check your spam folder if you haven't already. Sometimes our replies are mistakenly routed there.

Nielk Mike

Angela, there is nothing in the spam folder.

Angela Andrieux

@Nielk Mike - Thank you for checking. I've posted a request to our support team so I hope to get a response for you soon.

Angela Andrieux

@Nikelk Mike - One of our reps emailed you about a day and a half ago and asked for your order number (or a copy of your purchase confirmation). Since it wasn't received it was resent this morning. Please let me know if you got it.

Nielk Mike

Yes, I did and did reply.

Nielk Mike

And here is the answer. Brilliant. They don't even take the trouble to reply to the no CMS issue.

"

Hi Michael,

Seems our precious emails didn’t reach you.

As I see, you purchased the app on July 22, 2018. We have 30-days refund policy. So, I'm unable to issue a refund for your order.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Leila
    Skylum Support Team
    Great Photography Differently
    Web: www.skylum.com
    Connect on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter"

Thomas Herren

Strange enough, I got a refund without any problems although the 30-days period had been expired for long.

ibon zabala

I think the same thing happens to me. an image that looks the same in the windows viewer as in lightroom as in photoshop, in luminar it looks darker, more contrasted .... I have windows. What I can do?

Anastasia Davis

Hi Ibon! It seems that the color profile of Luminar and of other apps on your computer are different. You can try using Melissa RGB profile in Photoshop and Lightroom. Also, monitor calibration can help.

K.G. Wuensch

@Nastia, what makes you think that changing the color profile will have any beneficial effects on an application that doesn‘t do color management? The other applications are properly color managed, so it is Luminar that is wrong!

Not that it matters because Lightroom uses Melisa RGB internally anyways and Photoshop is using the slightly different but equally suited ProPhoto RGB internally unless instructed otherwise. What is wrong though is that Luminar disregards the monitor color space and errantly assumes that using unmodified sRGB is ok  - something that should never have happened in an image editing software today - that was maybe ok in the last millenium when people had CRT screens...

Fernando Ariznavarreta

You just can do a thing: use other software until they fix the color management thing.

I use luminar now as a filter of PS, as some filters are very good, but you cannot have any confidence on the colors you see in your monitor.

It is not a problem of what color space you use or the monitor is calibrated or not. It is a problem of luminar just sending the RGB numbers to the monitor with no color management.

If your monitor is not calibrated, you can see a photo in your monitor with respect to other monitor. But if you see the colors differente in your monitor in PS, LR or Luminar is a problem of luminar not doing correcto color management, as the others do it correctly.

ibon zabala

Thanks for the reply but I think that in lightroom you can not change the color profile.

RicoK

If luminar ignores all calibration profiles, than an calibration of the monitor can not help. If luminar get color management in the future, than calibration will help that images looks the same on all monitors, with every color managed software. Unfortunately, skylum has stated "We might add color management in the future, but we have no immediate plans." (statement in this thread)

If this is your problem too, Ibon, than nothing can help. Skylum need to add color management first and if not .... (of course other software for professional image editing do not have this issue / bug)

I still hope for colormanagement...

Timothy Burgess

This software is near useless for photo editing without being Monitor Color Calibration Profile aware. 

Amazing oversight

Chris Bateman

This is pretty disappointing; I'm trying to decide whether to request a refund. It's frustrating to get the colors just right – and then they're all wrong after you save the file.

For those with Photoshop, here's a workaround to get your exported images to look like they did while editing in Luminar:

1. Open your Luminar-edited image in Photoshop
    2. Go to Edit > Assign Profile, and choose your default system/monitor profile
    3. You should see the image update to look like it did in Luminar
    4. Go to Edit > Convert to Profile and switch it back to sRGB (or whatever you wanted)
    5. Save!

Please sign in to leave a comment.