Please add color management (after 1.2)

Comments

89 comments

Patrick Lehmann

Soft proofing with ICC profiles would be nice and a corresponding printer menu ... as in LR.

Comment actions Permalink
    Julia Kot

Hi Fernando, 

I'm sorry for the late response.

Could you please try to go to Luminar 2018 and reinstall the plug-in from "Install plug-ins" menu, by clicking "Uninstall" and then "Install" again? Please make sure you launch Luminar 2018 as administrator and then restart the host application (Photoshop/Lightroom). 

Adele Buttolph

I am having the same problem.  Just bringing the file into Luminar 2018 from PS shows the image looking quite different than in PS (and LR). 

Julia - I just followed your instructions and gave it another try, but Luminar is still showing the image as more saturated and contrasty.  This was done with the new updated version.  Do you have any other suggestions?  My monitor is calibrated and I do not have color issues between LR and PS.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

I have done that.

But the problem remains: what I see in luminar has completly different color that the image I see in LR, PS or other software with color management.

The color in luminar are much more saturated and vivid than i PS.

The image is exported from LR in 16 bit tiff format, with ProPhoto Profile.

I have tried AdobeRGB and sRGB with similar results.

I have calibrated my monitor using xrite  i1 display Pro and the OS has the correct profile.

It seems that Luminar does not interpret the embeded profile correctly or it does not use the color profile of the display, I am not sure what is the problem.

My Luminar 2018 version is 1.2.0 (1886)

Patrick Lehmann

do you have windows? if that is completely normal, because with windows the calibration is not cross-system. that is, each program can use the system setting or not. PS and LR do this ... but Luminar does not ... so Luminar does not use the set calibrated system profile you set in windows. For MAC this is different because there is no such problem. sorry, for the bad english.

Julia Kot

Fernando, could you please try to open your image in Luminar standalone mode, the go to RAW Develop filter > Adjust > Profiles > select your standard camera profile. Let us know about results you get.

Julia Kot

Adele, please try the same.

Adele Buttolph

Julia - under the Adjust dialog, there is no option for Profiles.  The only items that are there are sliders for temperature, tint, exposure, contrast, etc (regular develop adjustments), and the last thing is a Filters Amount slider.  No camera profiles are available.  I am attaching a screen grab of the Adjust dialog options.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Adele,

Apologies! Profiles are not available in the Windows version yet (but will be coming soon). We are sorry for the misinformation!

Our devs are also working on better color management solutions.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Angela: I am not talking about CAMERA ICC profiles and raw files.

That would be of help if you want to get colors that remain as close as possible to reality. That is not my issue (it would be great to have them, though).

I am talking about taking into account the color space of the file and the ICC color Profile associated with the display (which I have calibrated with i1 display Pro).

A TIFF file with a ProPhoto color space has completly different colors when you see it under Luminar than in any other color aware program.

I have tried AdobeRGB and sRGB with similar results.

@Patrick:
    Windows HAS color management and ICC profiles associated with the monitor.

The difference is that it does not impose all programs to make color managment, but programs that are color aware display de same image with the same colors (I have tested several, PS,LR, other editors and web browsers).

Konstantin Zolo

Hi Fernando,

There are some issues with color profiles and our QA team is working around the clock to fix them as soon as possible.

Thank you for bearing with us.

Johannes Wienke

Any progress on this one? Still waiting...

Denis Kotsee

Sorry to be the guy who tells that we have to wait longer but oh well, that's me today. As you know, right now we're putting most of our efforts into bringing the Mac and Windows versions to parity in terms of tools. While of paramount importance, color management is out of the scope of those tools. We'll dedicate more time to it when we deploy all the urgent additions and fixes.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, sorry but proper color management is imperative for an image editing tool, it needs to be given highest priority if it isn‘t in place yet!

RicoK

I can not believe, that you work on some tools and therefore let the whole software unusable! Because all colors in Luminar are wrong u d in my case ugly. I would happily spend my money for your software, but I can't. I will not buy unusable software, sorry.

You claim professional editing? Not at all. Even a browser shows pictures in the right color, but not your software!

You should add a line in the comparison table:

Color management: LR yes / Luminar no

Denis Kotsee

@Rico I mentioned this in my reply to another post of yours but, just in case, we're already working on better color management for Windows.

Noy Calderon

I've just purchased this software a couple days ago after using the trial version. During the trial, I didn't do a color comparison between PS and Luminar. I wouldn't purchase this software if I have known this issue early on. I agree with @K.G. & @Rico color management should be on top of your list as an image editing software. We're all hoping that this fix will be on the next update. 

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Correct color management, correct color space interpretation and monitor profile, is a must in any photo management program that is not a toy and wants to be a profesional and serious photographer tool.

It is confusing that one developer says that they are working hard on it, and another says it is not a current priority.

It should, as the program would be useless if you do not fix it.

That said, I  must say that now I have less problems when I export files in tiff and Prophoto form LR and PS and retouch them in Luminar.

The colors are now quite similar.

I don't know it there has been some change or what, but I can do the editing in Luminar and return to PS or LR with similar results in display.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

It seems that now it works better, when using luminar as a plugin of PS or when opening it from LR via export as tiff (using ProPhoto profile).

Now I don't see the great differences I was seeing when I opened the thread (even in 1.2.0 version). I don't change anything (at least not conciously).

But differences with LR and PS are still there in Luminar

I have installed 1.3 version right now.

UPDATE: I have tried it and it works, but the differences are still there, with different colors and more saturated in some images.

I think there has been some misunderstandings in this thread.

One thing is advance color managment such as soft proofing for printing (which is desirable but we can wait on it).

Another one is basic color management such us correct color space interpretation and correct display using ICC monitor profile.

The latter is a must and if there is some issue under windows with it, it should be a priority to skylum and any other serious image processor.

Are there any fix under the go with basic color management? Have you fixed anything under windows?

I am not sure but it seems to be working correctly now, at least colors are not so different as they were.

Johannes Wienke

At least I can tell that nothing has changed with the update regarding the correct use of the display color profile. With a wide gamut screen, missing color management regarding the display becomes pretty evident.

Patrick Griffin

I've recently bought luminar  on special offer and have just started to explore it.  It certainly has some amazing filters and effects but unfortunately is without doubt not a software than can be used professionally without being colour managed.  This I think should be your priority for the programme if it's intended to be used seriously

Kathy Hoglund

This is absolutely a must have for Luminar on Windows to use the calibrated profile for your monitor like Lightroom and Photoshop do (and other software like OnOne).  As someone previously stated, without this, Luminar is a toy like Instagram or a Holga camera.  I bought this to use in a professional workflow and color management across all software in the workflow is an absolute must.  I would not have purchased if I knew this was a problem. 

Miriam Steger

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought Luminar today!! No use starting of with an way oversaturated photos. I heard so many praises, guess they all used a Mac.

If I had known, I would never have spend my money on this, because I cannot work with Luminar this way.!!

Denis Kotsee

@Miriam Steger please drop us a line at support@skylum.com and we'll return your purchase.

Adele Buttolph

Miriam - When I realized that there is no color management for Windows, I asked for a refund and they refunded my money, no problem. 

Thomas Herren

I learned from Skylum support that their priority is on the DAM, and only afterwards the color management issue (i.e. total absence of CM on Windows at all!) would be addressed. This seems quite astonishing for a company with the ambition to offer competitive products. As long as there is no CM implemented, Luminar 2018 is unusable. Even when you develop a RAW file with another converter and then process it as a TIFF (whith embedded calibrated monitor profile and colour space like sRGB or AdobeRGB) in Luminar, in the conversion to JPEG the colours come out flat and dull.

K.G. Wuensch

@Thomas, you should never embed a monitor profile as color space in your results - always convert to and embed one of the standardized color spaces. Your monitor profile has to be considered only a transient profile which is due to change at any time - and converting to and from it may be possible but will incur losses in certain areas (effect of the rendering intent when out of gamut colors are encountered).

If it's only an intermediate result then by all means save in high enough color depth (usually 16 bit) and using Prophoto RGB or Melissa RGB, then you are not incurring any penalties from saving.

Thomas Herren

Thanks K.G. Wuensch for your clarification. I didn't express myself correctly. I don't embed monitor profiles, but I meant that the TIFF from Capture NX-D sent to Luminar ("open with") is established based on the appearance on my calibrated monitor and saved in a colour space (i.e. AdobeRGB). When exporting from Luminar it offers to choose from sRGB, AdobeRGB and Prophoto RGB. For JPEGs I choose sRGB, for TIFFs AdobeRGB, but Luminar does not apply any of those color spaces and renders flat, desaturated and dull colours that differ very much from what I see on the monitor in the lmnr-file.

Christian S.

I just gave up waiting for CM.

Pablo Leme

Well, I just realized this now,  when I installed it on my main PC.

On a wide gamut monitor, the difference is much more stark than on my travel laptop.
    I join those asking if there are news on this, and I'll pile my dismay with everyone else's, at the idea that a photo retouching program wouldn't color manage and that info not being put it in the first line of its description. It is a rather crucil "detail".
    Works mostly fine for B&W (as in not so noticeable).

I like some of the filters but I cannot justify the cost given the extra work needed to counter act the color imbalance.

Please sign in to leave a comment.