Pre-Browser Update Prior to DAM Launch

Comments

8 comments

Alina Skylum

Hi Jon-Rico,

Thank you for the feedback. We will pass the suggestion to our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    Sherwood Botsford

Oh dear.  First I've realized that Luminar didn't have a browser.

A browser is NOT a DAM.

A browser enables you to quickly look at pictures in a file hierarchy, according to whatever characteristics you chose to put them in folders/directories.

A DAM allows you to add keywords, captions, comments, then use any combination of those  to find images.

E.g.  I remember a picture of a rose hip with frost on it.  I wanted to find the original.  Ok.  I remembered that it was winter, I remember that I shot it when the sun was well in the sky.  So:

* Keyword: rose hip

* Keyword: winter
    * Keyword: frost

* Exif Month = Between Nov - Mar
    * Exif Time = Between 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
    * Keyword: close-up

I got 6 shots back.

Jon-Rico Browner

Agreed , and yes I understand what a DAM is. I have Aperture still , Lightroom, and Capture One Pro as well as Alien Skin Exposure X3 so I know what you mean. I’m just saying at least give us the browsing ability to see our folders and perhaps stay in Luminar and have it remember your edits so that you do not have to make a tiff from a round trip every image you’d like to work on. If we at least had that for now then the DAM Could come in succession when it’s ready. This way we are not visiting the app for a one off trip , instead we shoot, come home and import into Luminar. If can have that. Then view , cull and rate and finally go into a edit or edits without leaving.

Jon-Rico Browner

Thanks Alina! I’d appreciate you passing it along to them. I truly believe this would be a better Segway into getting many or at least myself into living in Luminar for the majority of images.

Sherwood Botsford

This is another approach, and it has merits.  In this scenario, Luminar is only a post processor.

You could call it from a browser, or a DAM as you saw fit.

People at Skylum could have a win here, by making a good DAM that didn't edit.  This then could be used by the people who currently use Affinity, who use Photoshop, who use Gimp.

Right now there is no DAM presently sold that is as good as Aperture, and it comes short on my wishlist

In terms of marketing, I would sell it as one software package, but different licenses.  E.g.:

You have a single package that contains Archivist, Luminar, and Aurora.  If you buy Luminar, Archivist is limited to 5,000 pictures, and Aurora is limited to 1 hour use in a day.  If you buy Archivist, both Luminar and Aurora are limited to an hour a day.  Offer a deal on all three.

Francesco Mariani

Jon-Rico Browner, A Segway is a semi-dangerous human transporter, while a segue is "to make a transition without interruption from one activity, topic, scene, or part to another".

Francis Mariani

Skylum could have offered something great with their long-gestating DAM, but unfortunately it was born premature. Oliver, I too am still on Aperture. Even though I have purchased Capture One Pro, I am terrified of switching over - their DAM is reportedly slow and does not have several features that Aperture has.

Colin Grant

A browser is not a DAM but a decent DAM is a browser. Look at Lr, Capture One, ON1, Photo Mechanic, ACDSee etc. The problem with L3 is the DAM is not a great implementation and it is feature poor at the moment.

Please sign in to leave a comment.