Speed!

Comments

7 comments

Remo Coon

Sometimes things are not as they first seemed. When opening an image from FastRawViewer in my trial version of Affinity, it takes 4 to 6 seconds. When opening the same image in Luminar, the latest, updated version, the image appears as fast or faster.

BUT there is a little set of dots running around in a circle, visible in the lower left area of the screen with the caption "image processing" and the reality is that the image is not actually ready for actual work until 14 seconds have passed. That means that while it LOOKS faster, it is not any faster than it was.

It may indeed be faster in the processing of edits but the illusion of speed in starting the process is just that - an illusion.

I like Luminar better for most work as compared to LR, CaptureOne, Preview and Photos, RawTherapee, Darktable and even Affinity. But the speed issue is an important one for me. If or when I buy a faster computer the speed issue may become less important or even unimportant. But for now, it remains a issue on both my Mac's (these timings were on the faster one, a MacMini Late 2012 with gobs of RAM and an I7 processor).

I note in passing that Affinity runs very well on an iPad Pro. It runs faster on the iPadPro (9.7") than on my aging MacBookAir.

Others may wonder why I'm testing from FastRawViewer and for them, I'll repeat myself. On slower computers, reviewing a day's worth of photos which are all raw files requires a tool like that both for speed alone and because all other tools that can come close on speed are really not showing the raw file's histogram, etc. They are showing the embedded JPG which is sometimes a very poor substitute.

And just to ensure that my timings are not dismissed because they were not directly from the file system, I tested with Luminar already running and I've checked that the result under these conditions are the same either way.

Comment actions Permalink
    Julia Kot Kot

Hi Remo,

Glad to know you enjoy our new update :) 

Remo Coon

Crashed (disappeared) while doing a routine edit. Sent the report to Apple.

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Remo, 

Could you also please send the crash report to our team? In order to fix it, we should check it as well. 

Remo Coon

If it happens again I will try but I have no idea at this time how to do that. The report to Apple is done via a popup dialog box from the OS.

Julia Kot Kot

Here's how to find crash report:

1. Open the Finder

2. Go to the Menu Bar and open the "Go" menu.

3. Select the entry: "Go to Folder..."

4. Enter the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

5. Find the most recent files whose names start with "Luminar 2018" and drag them into an e-mail and send to support@skylum.com

Thank you in advance!

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Remo, 

Thanks for such a detailed feedback.

I'll pass this info to our devs.

Thanks for bearing with us!

Please sign in to leave a comment.