Luminar 2018 is stripping EXIF data from my photos

Answered

Comments

46 comments

Mariia Divavina

Hi Mark!

I'd ask you to send us .lmnr file to support@skylum.com - we will be happy to help you with this!

Please upload the file to www.WeTransfer.com  & send shared for everyone link to support@skylum.com

Indeed, we have closed a Facebook group so that we could fill Skylum Community with the most common customers' requests/issues with a solution available. The same problem could have been reported multiple times in the Facebook group and got lost. Skylum Forum has logically divided topics with troubleshooting instructions and a convenient interface. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark David Gerson

The file has been sent to you.

Mariia Divavina

Thank you, Mark.

We'll get back to you soon.

Olivier Kassel

I have a very similar problem of loosing EXIF data upon exporting. The data seem to be in the .lmnr file judging from the info panel, but then, nothing in the exported tiff. I figured out that it happens when the file was transferred from luminar 2018 to photoshop for some adjustments, then saved as tiff from photoshop (cannot use the Luminar 2018 plugin with my very old photoshop version), the EXIF data are still there at this point, and then reopen the tiff in luminar. When I finally export, the EXIF data are no more there. Any idea on how to fix this?

BTW, it would be nice to see more meta data in the info panel than just iso, focal length and aperture.

Julia Kot

Hi Oliver,

Could you please specify if the EXIF data is lost when you transfer an image from Luminar to Photoshop?

You can check this by clicking File > File Info. 

Olivier Kassel

Hi Julia,

No, the EXIF data is not lost from Luminar to Photoshop, and it's still there in the TIFF created by Photoshop.

Olivier Kassel

I have to add that I have used the workflow Luminar -> Photoshop -> TIFF -> Luminar -> TIFF several times, and it's only once in a while that the EXIF data is lost in the last file. But I couldn't tell you what I made different in these cases...

Julia Kot

Hi Oliver,

We would appreciate if you send us both TIFFs to check. 

Please upload the files to www.WeTransfer.com & send us shared for everyone link to support@skylum.com

Thank you in advance!

Erik Valind

Has there been a resolution to this? My work flow is Lightroom - Luminar - Lightroom and when images come back from Luminar all exif data is gone. (ie Star Ratings, Capture Date, Camera Info etc)

Denis Kotsee

Currently we're focused on the DAM and, since the EXIF data is somewhat related to photo library management, we're working on it in parallel. I wish I could tell you the exact date when we're going to roll out the update with improved EXIF handling but at the moment all I know is that the work is in progress.

Olivier Kassel

No, this has not been fixed. And as a matter of fact it got even worse... Now also for files that are opened only in Luminar the EXIF data are lost!

Denis Kotsee

Hi Olivier,

nothing has changed in the way Luminar handles EXIF data. If you're exporting in JPEG you might want to try exporting in TIFF and see if your metadata is preserved.

Olivier Kassel

Hi Denis,

I always export in TIFF. But as I said in the previous series of posts, the "loss", or rather the failure to export EXIF data is not systematic. My impression is that it is more likely to happen when the .lmnr file has been saved, reopened for more adjustments then exported. As I also said previously, I think the metadata are here, if I can judge from the rather poor info panel (BTW it would be great if in the next version more metadata are visible in the .lmnr files), it is rather an export problem.

Denis Kotsee

I see, we'll look into it.

Mark David Gerson

It's disappointing that an issue that is so fundamental and one that is important to so many photographers appears to be such a low priority for Skylum. It seems that Skylum is more focused on rolling out new features than in making sure that basic features are working properly. I first reported this two months ago, and no fix appears even remotely imminent.

Eduard Szente

I can also confirm that Luminar 2018 (I'm on 1.3.1.2291) seems to randomly but infrequently loose all EXIF data when exporting jpgs. In my case it was after opening a jpg in Luminar from ACDSee using the "External Editors" command > making my edits > saving my progress as *.lmnr > reopen *.lmnr > export jpg

Is anyone able to deterministically reproduce this behavior? I'm fairly new to Luminar and did only ~10 edits and exports so far, with the EXIF loss occuring once.

This is quite annoying since it means I have to check each export manually to make sure all EXIF data is still present.

edit: just as a sidenote, since I noticed this thread is on the "Luminar for Mac" Froum: I'm on Windows 10

Olivier Kassel

I've given up on that front. I now don't open my photos in Luminar but only use it as a plugin... 

Anastasia Davis

Hi! Unfortunately we don’t have any recent email from you. The only one we have from abro******@gmail.com (please confirm if it's your email) dates back to 18.10.2017.

Please contact us on support@skylum.com providing the original file you encountered the issue with.

Would you be so kind to send us the screen recording of this process as well? Please follow the instructions below:

1. Launch Finder>Applications>Quick Time Player.

2. Tray Menu>File>New Screen Recording.

3. Click on the Red Circle in the Screen Recording window that appears.

4. Click on the screen to start screen recording.

5. Reproduce the issue.

6. Right-click on Quick Time Player on the doc menu -> Stop screen recording.

7. A window should appear with the video of the screen recording. In the upper left corner of the screen, click on File -> Save.

8. Choose the location and name and click on Save. The screen recording will be saved there.

9. Send us the screen recording.

You may upload it to WeTransfer:

https://www.wetransfer.com/ 

Please, click on share button -> Link -> add file ->

Once the file is uploaded, click on share button -> Transfer -> and send us the link "http://we.tl/XXXXXXXXXX"

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Mark David Gerson

I've also pretty much given up. It's disturbing that a bug that disables key feature that is critical to so many photographers is not viewed as a priority by Skylum. 

Boudewijn Vermeulen

It looks like sending the file from Lightroom in DNG format, prevents the EXIF stripping. Sending from Lightroom in jpeg or raw is disastrous for your exif data, but the dng format gives me good results. Bit of a hassle though.....

Mark David Gerson

Thanks. But it's a workaround that should not be necessary with a professional-caliber application!

Fred Haider

My guess is that they are trying to ensure that the asset management (keywording) they promised is developed without problems. Until then suggesting this workaround. Developing the file as an DNG certainly is not a great solution because I never save as a DNG. Hopefully they will get a handle on this important issue,

Syklum User 2942

I can confirm, Exif getting stripped with exporting, however(!), it did strip it on the first try, not on the second. I have now Exif inside the TIFF and JPG. This is strange. Here is what I've done: 

The first time, the original file was opened in Luminar from SDCARD, then the card was removed and only Luminar continued and held the image.

The second time, the original file was stored physically on the same SSD, but different folder and Luminar also held the image. Export contained Exif in this case. 

There is another post addressing it (search exif export).

Cheers for raising the issue, Mark

Jane Selverstone

I am having this same intermittent problem with Luminar. The EXIF data are always there while I am editing, but when I export to jpg they usually disappear. Interestingly, this never happens when I edit photos taken with my iPhone 8, only those from my Fuji X-H1. This is particularly odd because the EXIF data are present in my original raw and jpg files. The problem is clearly something to do with Luminar, and it is worse now than it was a few months ago.

Jane Selverstone

I may have figured out the problem, at least in my case. If I export an image as a jpg or png file *before* I have saved the edited version in Luminar, all of the EXIF data vanish. If I save in Luminar first, and then export, the EXIF data are preserved. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but it seems to be working in my case.

Syklum User 2942

Jane, is this with the latest update? I just exported without saving as *.lmnr and it contains the EXIF. Good luck?

Jane Selverstone

Ludwig, I am using the latest update. And alas, my comment above was premature. Luminar is once again losing all of my EXIF data.

mac cuyf

I just downloaded Luminar today Nov 10, 2018.

Exporting a photo modifies the date the picture was taken. I guess that's a pretty big thing you are NOT informing users.

Colin Grant

If that is the case Luminar is useless to me. That said I do  not think that is what happens on Mac. It changes (or should I say generates) a created/modified date that corresponds to the date the exported file was created/originated. The exif Date/Time Digitised remains set at the date the photo was taken. 

Darryl Brooks

Came here looking for a solution to this. Luminar 3 and Flex is still stripping metadata. There is no excuse for this and it renders LUminar useless to me as well. That's too bad, otherwise, it's decent software.  

Post is closed for comments.