ALIGNMENT GLITCH WHEN MERGING 3 FRAME HDR

Comments

12 comments

Julia Kot Kot

We would highly appreciate if you can send us the original sample file so that we can test it on our side.

Please upload the file to WeTransfer & send us shared for everyone link.

Thank you in advance!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Deborah Coulthard

Thank you for the quick response - here's the link to the 3 original image files :) https://we.tl/5XMciZoHPA

Phil Hurd

Hi Deborah, I've been a bit cheeky but I downloaded your images because I've had no issues with Aurora.

I processed 4 lots of HDR images that I took today, only ticking the alignment box. These were taken hand-held also. All came out really sharp.

So I opened your files in Aurora and only checked the alignment box, which is my normal procedure if there are no people in the picture. The composite looks out of focus to me, especially zoomed in. It thought one of your brackets had suffered from camera shake. Aurora is pretty good at alignment but if one is too far out, no software will cope.

So next I imported your images into Lightroom. Image 2 is way out. If I flick through the images on full screen, they should all appear to be the same (except for the exposure). When I do this with yours on image 2, the tree jumps to the left. Either you moved the camera or perhaps did something to the images before importing into Aurora? No HDR software is going to cope with that I'm afraid.

Hope that helps, Phil

Julia Kot Kot

Thanks for the brackets sent.

Let me check this with our technical team and we’ll get back to you.

Phil Hurd

Did you look at your images again Deborah?

Deborah Coulthard

I don't know what you're seeing Phil but I just checked the 3 images - looked fine.  Unlikely to be camera shake as the lens I was using has VR.,  I just did an HDR merge in Lightroom that worked completely OK.  No alignment issues at all.  I have also edited many HDR brackets successfully in Aurora (previous version) and 2018 and had no problems.  This time there were - that's why I raised the issue with Skylum.

Deborah Coulthard

The 3 images merged just fine in Lightroom.  Here's the link.  If Lr's algorithm aligned the images OK then Aurora's should too. https://we.tl/shazVryUlR

Phil Hurd

Hi Deborah, I'm just trying my best to help as I use Aurora a lot and have had no issues. Clearly it worries me if there is a problem with Aurora.

The 3 original images I download from your link were different. Image 1 & 3 were OK but Image 2 had the tree in a different place (slightly to the right). Maybe there was a glitch when you uploaded them, I don't know. So I've downloaded them again (see attached screenshot), imported them into Lightroom and the same. Image 2 has the tree slightly to the right compared to image 1 & 3.

If you have them in Lightroom, open up the images full screen. Flick through them with the left and right arrow keys. The tree should not change its position from one image to the other.

I agree that Lightroom will merge them (I tried and was gobsmacked) and so will Aurora, which speaks volumes about the software. However software is always going to struggle because the images are not identical.

Hope that helps

All the best, Phil

Phil Hurd

Sorry Deborah I meant to mention . . . .  

When you flick through each image, you may also notice that the horizon moves up and down relative to the others. If the images are misaligned I'm guessing the software algorithm will make a decision about which is the best alignment point. In your case it looks as if it has assigned the tree and by definition the horizon cannot be merged correctly.It will be interesting to see how Skylum respond.

Kind regards

Phil

Phil Hurd

Here's my merge, done in Aurora BUT using Image 1 as the reference for Ghost Reduction

Mariia Divavina

We appreciate conversations held in a respectful tone and manner. We created this Сommunity to facilitate the constructive exchange of ideas and opinions. Disagreements are fine but we will not tolerate personal attacks and insults. Thank you for understanding.

Phil Hurd

Mariia, I did my upmost not to personally attack anybody! I did however  point out (respectfully, I hope) that the images that were being merged were not fit for purpose, that's just photographic critique. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.