Support Camera Profiles (Color Checker Passport)

Comments

23 comments

Julia Kot

Hi Doug,

We are planning to implement Camera Profiles support to Luminar 2018 in the upcoming updates. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Doug Werner

Cool.

I am close to zeroing in on Luminar as my LR replacement, and that's one of the missing pieces.  Not sure it's a show stopper, but it's important.

Thanks.

Nancy Goodenough

Yes! As a Fuji user, the film sims are critical. Thanks.

Julia Kot

Hi guys,

We will publish the list of the supported by Luminar lens profiles soon. 

Páll Silvan Ennigard

Please support Pentax lens profiles too, seams like everything is Canon, Nikon and Sony these days

Viktor Repasi

I am looking forward to this! Please add native support for color calibration targets!

Danny Vanderbyl

I just want to keep this thread alive.  I am so ready to ditch Lightroom and join the Luminar awesomeness, but I can't make the switch without being able to apply ColorChecker calibration.  I need to be able to portray my wife's artwork accurately.

Maybe you could even outdo Adobe's approach.  Rather than making me restart the software to apply the profile, can't I just analyze the photo of the ColorChecker Passport, create the profile, and apply (without restarting) to all the applicable images?  Thanks so much!

Anastasia Davis

Hi Danny! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I will forward it to our developers' team so they could think of it more thoroughly.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Viktor Repasi

Totally agree! I want to switch too, there are other minor things yet to improve, but the support of color calibration targets is a major shortcoming at the moment. I'd love to have it integrated just as it is intagrated in Blackmagicdesign's DaVinci Resolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dECKUV_VBsE 

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Not very encouraging that 11 months ago they were "planning" to add it yet nothing as of today :/

Alan Meyer

I am also trying to move from Adobe offerings to Lumnar 3 and Flex. It would be REALLY, REALLY nice to have Colorchecker play nice with Skylum products! Hopefully something soon?? Vying to be a true Adobe alternative for us photographers wd. also entail CC capabilities without having to swap between software.

Danny Vanderbyl

I received this message from X-Rite but I don’t know what it all means.

“We've released a new version of the software that will allow you to create ICC camera profiles with uncompressed TIFF images. The current ColorChecker Camera Calibration 2.0 can be downloaded at:
    https://www.xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=2572&Action=Support&SoftwareID=2030

There are many tutorials on YouTube at:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=colorchecker+passport

This might be the one that will be quite helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I don’t have any plans to convert all my raw files into TIFFs as that takes up way too much space.

Alan Meyer

It means that not even version 2.0 accomodates Luminar in a way. similar to LR and PS software....Tho Capture One pro is now added. The TIFF workaround is time consumimg and clumsy, but may currently leave Skylum converts with no other options..

Mike Mansfield

I've been using my custom X-Rite ColorChecker profiles in Luminar since v3.0.

Remember that you can only apply them in RAW Develop.

Click on the Profile dropdown menu, and select "Load Custom DCP Profile". You will then have to navigate to the folder where your profiles are stored.

If I remember correctly, you can only import them one at a time.

You can then choose 1 of your ColorChecker Profiles to be used as the Default Profile for your camera.

Regards,

Mike Mansfield

Danny Vanderbyl

@Mike Thank you for sharing this.  Can anyone else give this a try?  I'd like nothing more than to put the nail in my Lightroom subscription... today!

Alan Meyer

Using ColorChecker passport (Fuji X T-10/ &0-200mm) as a custom camera/lens reference, I take reference image (s).

I then convert to a DNG file with the Adobe (that word again...) converter. Save. Open in Lightroom. Use white balance dropper +/- any other edits you want to make to the reference file. Export with appropriate name. to Lightroom. Lightroom saves the DCP file in the Camera Raw folder inside of the Lightroom app folder on the 'C' drive. Copy n paste DCP file to folder of choice.

Open Flex and an image I want to color correct.

In the RAW develop module I click on Load Custom DCP Profile; point at the locating folder and import it.

Any subsequent image taken in the same lighting conditions can then have the DCP profile attached.

Not as elegant/seamless as native Lightroom-like work flow But it does work.

Hopefully one day Skylum engineers can save us faffing around as we try to move (and stay) away from greedy Adobe.

Viktor Repasi

Well this is quite a workflow you got and it relies on multiple third party software.

While it is nice that there is a workaround and profiles are supported now, the wish would be that it is integrated.

By integrated I mean like in DaVinci Resolve. You select one of the few supported color target types, drag the picker over the the picture of the target, hit okay, give it a name and you can recall it any time you like.

I could imagine a filter with a white balance picker, a target selector and a drop down menu for the already saved presets.

And it should be independent from raw files. It is kind of a LUT in a way and LUTs you can apply to whatever images you like. No matter the bit depth.

Alan Meyer

"While it is nice that there is a workaround and profiles are supported now, the wish would be that it is integrated."

Amen to that!!  In the meanwhile, because I dont intend to upgrade to CC, and because Flex does not have native ICC recognition ability via ColorChecker, it's the best I could come up with for zero dollars. Hopefully the Skylum wizards will do something about this in the future....

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I'll definitely share it with our Developers.

To get to the files I found I had to remove the hidden attribute to the appdata folder below the user folder.

Rick Moreau

Lots on new features listed in the new version 4 release with no mention of x-rite support. 

Color accuracy isn’t sexy enough to be a priority so I’ll continue using Luminar as a Lightroom plug-in instead of a replacement. 

Viktor Repasi

Yeah, pretty sad implementing beauty gates for the ones who want quick results and neglecting pro needs.

Please sign in to leave a comment.