Support Affinity Photo for external edits

Comments

23 comments

Phil Hurd

Given that Luminar has layers, I would say it is more like Photoshop than Lightroom for image processing. Maybe a half-way house.

I found Affinity quite quirky and not easy to use. Affinity were also going to implement a DAM, sometime ago but they have quietly dropped the idea. Interestingly I don't witness their users vilifying the company for this!

I'm not sure why you would expect Skylum to write a Plugin for Affinity, it should surely be the other way around? Adobe supports Photoshop because its an Adobe product. I would expect Skylum to prove integration with Aurora and Creative Kit in the same way. However if you use Lightroom as a DAM and Luminar as your processing engine, then its up to Skylum to write the Plugin not Adobe.

So I guess if enough Affinity users want to use Luminar as a DAM, they will have to get Serif to provide the Plugin not Skylum.

Comment actions Permalink
    Rodrigo Guerreiro

Well what I'm asking is not a plugin for Affinity Photo. The develop team already announced that they are going to support opening photos on other software. I just asked to improve on top of that.

Here is an example: I have 3 photos to do some focus stacking, select all of them (when we have the DAM) and select an option to export as layers in Affinity Photo (I do not know if Affinity API supports this ATM).

I know that I can do this now by manually exporting the photos to TIFF and opening it in Affinity. So this feature I'm asking is a nice to have. And since Affinity Photo IMO is not exactly competition to Luminar, I think that everybody wins with this.

Julia Kot

Hi Rodrigo, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Our new DAM tool will be compatible with Luminar 2018 only.  

Phil Hurd

Julia, and Aurora as well, I hope!

Rodrigo Guerreiro

Hi Julia,

That's unfortunate. Luminar would vastly increase in usability if could somehow support other 3rd party software.

Rodrigo Guerreiro

It seems that at least you're thinking about it: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002981851-Allow-User-to-Customize-External-Editors-List

I hope this will come true

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rodrigo - We know that many of our users also use Affinity and that working with 3rd party editors is important in many workflows. We've noted your request for a plugin and will pass the suggestion to our developers.

Sherwood Botsford

One of the problems with supporting hooks to external programs:  Some of those external programs are your competitions.

One of the virtues of supporting hooks is that if you do it well, then your program becomes the hub of the entire workflow.

Overall:  The DAM is more important to me than hooks are.  I tend to try to shoot it right the first time, and if I can't make it usuable with a crop and levels adjust I move on.

Terran Ambrosone

I agree the DAM is the most important thing to be working on now, but truly hope that an Affinity plugin follows soon after. A collaboration between the two companies would be a huge win for both, I'm certain, and we could finally cut the cord with Adobe if we chose. Right now, without the DAM, it's just not an option.

Krishna Prasad Kotti

I do request for Affinity Photo Plugin. I am want to use Luminar Effectively along with Affinity Photo and Interoprability is very important.

Barry Eisenberg

Very excited to hear that the libraries feature is almost here.  I do not currenlty own your product, but have been looking for this feature before I buy.  Looking for a lightroom alternative where I can organize, develop camera RAW and make basic corrections.  My intent however is to bring the images into Affinity photo for the more creative enhancements.  If this capability is not there, I will have to look for another product.  That is really the feature set I am looking for.

Thanks

Raymond Griffiths

I’m trialling Luminar 3 as a possible Lightroom/Photoshop replacement and I’m disapponted to find that the only third-party editors it supports are Photoshop/Lightroom - kind of self-defeating as Luminar is being marketed as a replacement for Lightroom. The inclusion of Topaz Studio as a plug-in goes some way towards lessening the disappointment though the inclusion of Affinity Photo or other high-end photo editor either as a plug-in or as a third-party editor would in my opinion make Luminar the complete package.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Raymond,

3rd party plugins support is available on Mac - https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-4-installing-plugins-into-luminar

and coming soon for Windows users.

Raymond Griffiths

Thank you Angela for replying but I do not understand your answer. This thread is about Skylum supplying a plug-in for Affinity Photo, your answer appears to address a different issue. Can you definitely say that there is a plug-in for Affinity Photo? If so, where is it?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Raymond,

I'm sorry for my confusing answer. Are you wishing to go from Luminar > Affinity Photo > Luminar or Affinity Photo > Luminar > Affinity Photo?

After a bit of research it doesn't appear that Affinity Photo has a Photoshop-style plugin available (.plugin for Mac or .8bf for Windows) which would be required for the Luminar > Affinity Photo > Luminar scenario. I suggest reaching out to Serif (the makers of Affinity Photo) and submitting this as a feature request.

If you wish to go from Affinity Photo > Luminar > Affinity Photo, it looks like this should be possible as they do support Photoshop Compatible Plugins (https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/desktop/full-feature-list/). Upon request we can provide you with this file as the automatic installation in Luminar requires Photoshop to already be installed.

Krishna Prasad Kotti

We would like to used Luminar as a plugin for Affinity Photo.

I understand we have a photoshop plugin. When we launch the plugin from Affinity Photo, nothing happens and it gets stuck.

In short though the plugin exists, it does not work with Affinity Photo.

Please note that I did test this with Luminar latest version as well.

Hope the above helps.

Krishna Prasad Kotti

We only get message, Luminar 3 Plugin started. Nothing happens after the same.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Krishna,

Thank you for clarifying. I'll share this with our tech team and hopefully we can get this working for you in the future.

Robert Follis

How long is it taking to sort Affinity Photo? This thread is a year old already. I and many of my colleagues have dumped Adobe, Sklyum needs to get past PS and Lightroom and support the alternatives

Dmytro B.

@Robert - we'll consider this alternative for our future updates, but it might take some time for us to add new functioality as we're now focused on our major update for Luminar 3.

Robert Follis

Thanks Dymtro

Martin Koehler

I just installes Luminar 3 and am very disapointed that it is still not possible to use Affinity Foto for editing

Either Affinity Photo should be directly available in the "open with" dialog or additional (custom) entries should be possible (this would be even more flexible).

Chad Washington

Same issue here. I want to use Luminar as my DAM, but Affinity Photo is essential to my workflow.  I just bought 3.1 (because of a discount offer) with the hopes that it had been added. At this point, all the advantages of the DAM are useless if I can't get to Affinity Photo and back. Hence, I must continue to use Photos. You need to realize how important this is for those considering purchasing your product. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.