DAM, a contrarian request

Comments

8 comments

Remo Coon

Tim, my version of CaptureOne is "free" for Sony users and does not support "Sessions".

Bruce, it should have been clear that my request has nothing to do with using Luminar as an appendage to some other DAM. That is the point. Yes, I've tried it as an extension to Photos and also to Lightroom and, not sure, probably CaptureOne as well. In every case when you do that it simply opens one file. I think that Angela understood, but to clarify:

While my wants and needs are not those of all or perhaps even most users, some of us or at least one (I) prefer to work directly from the OS file system. There are many reasons for that but none of them need to be asserted or debated here. Thus, for me, Luminar has added value for the work, time and complexity it lets me avoid. I just want the option to skip the new feature and keep using it as I do now.

Comment actions Permalink
    Herbert Smith

For years I have been looking for a replacement and migration path away from Adobe Organizer.  It has great concepts but is poorly and terribly implemented.   Each new version introduces more new flaws than it fixes.

I believe there is market for a database oriented DAM with robust tagging.  That works perfectly with standard EXIF data.   

I have ten's of thousands of photos (which is probably not unusual these days) I want to know  the Where, When, Who, and status of each one.   I want to be able to filter and retrieve them quickly and easily.   The tagging system in Organizer is great concept.  The location info has been messed with in the last few editions to make very difficult to work with Geo Tagged Photos.   Now editing a photo drops tags.   Date filters get dropped if add to many other tags to filter a query.   I could go on.

There is market for products that just work right.

Julia Kot Kot

You shouldn't worry about that, Dayo.

We will make sure the DAM works fine before release it. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Remo - I'm sure you're not the only user with this concern! I'll pass on your suggestion to our developers.

Bruce Bovill

I can't imagine that Skylum would expect everyone to use whatever final DAM they introduce. For instance, I expect to keep using their software as extensions to macOS Photos, which is the only DAM I really need. 

Bruce Bovill

Hi Remo, yes of course it was clear. However, as the topic was relative to the forthcoming DAM, about which we know practically nothing in terms of projected capability or usage, your thread seemed to be a good place to indicate a variety of wishes. The challenge Skylum has is the mass of different expectations and needs. Sorry to barge in!

Phil Hurd

In my opinion, if Skylum introduced a DAM that was pretty much the same as Lightroom, I would be very happy. I have tried lots (probably all) asset management systems available for macOS and they all have issues of one kind or another. Apple Photos, for example, will only allow a single file to be passed out. If you want to send 3 (or more) bracketed shots to Aurora, you are out of luck. A number of other so called DAMs are in fact just image browsers and don't manage anything and so on.

Sherwood Botsford

One of the things that aperture did right:

There is more than one way to do things:

If I want to add keywords:

•   I can type keywords into the Info Inspector keyword pane.
    • I can type a keyword in the bottom hot key display and it will show me matching keywrods that start with that string.
    • I can set up hotkey combinations for keywords.
    • I can set up multiple sets of hot keys.
    • I can drag and drop keywords from the keyword HUD
    • I can lift (copy) all the keywords from one image and stamp (paste) them onto any select set of iamges.

If I change the spelling of a keyword in the HUD, it changes it for all the images.

Please sign in to leave a comment.