Comments

20 comments

Konstantin Zolo

HI Laurent,

As of now, only certain Photoshop plug-ins are supported. However, I will forward your suggestion to our development team.

Comment actions Permalink
    Laurent Laval

It will be awesome, as many of us want to switch from LR to Luminar and the possibility to use all the plugins we already bought will be great !!

Tony Collins

Are Nik Tools usable as plugins in Luminar?

Fred Haider

Great Question Tony.  I love Nik and even tried to see if I can export an edited Luminar file to PS so I could use NIK collection. Problem is I can’t figure out how to export a file into PS CC from luminar.

Mariia Divavina

Hi,

To use Luminar 2018 with Nik collection, please, launch Luminar 2018 => go to Plugins on the top menu bar => see the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/j2tlx3

If you're referring to another app and Luminar 2018 cannot locate it, go to Other => Open Plugin http://prntscr.com/j2sv4w) => locate Nik software

To use them as plugins with Luminar 2018, they should be first installed as plugins with LR/PS 

Louis Montrose

NIK collection is installed in LR but the individual apps in the collection are all greyed out when the NIK folder is clicked in the "Open Plugin" procedure in Luminar.  The folder itself is not greyed out but it cannot be installed within Luminar plugins--only the individual plugins of the collection and they are greyed out.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Louis,

This can sometime happen if plugin files are moved from their original installation location. Please try clicking on Plugins > Other and then navigating to the .plugin file.

Please let us know how it goes.

Fred Haider

I was in PSCC and saw that the only Skylum plugin is Photolumer. What do you suggest to gain access to Luminar.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fred,

Here are instructions for installing the Luminar plugin in Photoshop:

1. Make sure Luminar is open.

2. Simply choose Luminar > Install Plug-ins... to start. 

3. A new dialog box appears to show you which supported host applications you have currently installed on your Mac. The host applications supported by Luminar are:

• Adobe Photoshop
    • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
    • Adobe Photoshop Elements
    • Apple Aperture

4. Click the Install/Uninstall button for the corresponding apps in which you’d like Luminar to run.

Note

For best results, quit the host application (such as Photoshop) before you install a plug-in. You may be prompted to input your Administrator password to complete the installation. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Deborah Hinter

So, those of us who bought the original NIK and then used as plugins for Lightroom 6, they are APPS.  I now have bought Luminar 3 and not able in any way to see how to use those apps as plugins in Luminar.  I would completely move over to Luminar if I can use my silver efex.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Deborah,

Please do the following:
    1. Make sure you have Nik Collection installed in the Applications Folder.
    2. Launch the installer>Right-click Nik Collection icon>Show Package Contents>Contents>Resources.
    3. You will find some files with .tar.gz. extension there. Please, copy all of them to any location on your Mac.
    4. Unzip each of the files you have copied in Step 3. The files you are interested in have .plugin extension.

Henny Jesterhoudt

Angela, I did as you instructed and found the NIK plug-ins.

But how do I bring them to Luminar 3Or can I only use them with PS CC?

Kirk Osborn
    1. Copy the .plugin file somewhere where you can easily find it.
    2. In Luminar, double-click any photo to open the full preview mode.
    3. Click Edit > Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Luminar to the .plugin file you just copied. The NIK plugins should now appear in the Plugins menu.
    Tony Collins

Hi Kirk

How does it work with the Nik HDR efex pro plugin? In lightroom I can select a number of images and have them sent to HDR Efex pro in one step.

Thanks. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tony,

For now Luminar will only allow you to send a single image. If you want to work with multiple images I suggest right-clicking on the first image in the series and choosing Show in Finder. From there you can select your bracketed images and then right-click > Open With > Nik HDR efex.

Once you've made your edits in Nik HDR efex you can save/export your edited image to the same folder you originated from. You may need to Restart Luminar for the updated image to appear.

Tony Collins

OK - thanks for the reply

John West

Hi All

Is it possible to use 'Filter Forge" as a plugin for L3. It works with Photoshop (I do not have Photoshop so cannot install first in Photoshop). I have located the plugin file and added it to L3 plugins but it does not appear to work. Any thoughts / suggestions.

Anna V

Hi John,

For now, Luminar 3 officially supports such third-party apps: 

• Nik Collection apps;
    • Topaz Adjust 5;
    • Topaz BW Effects 2;
    • Topaz Clarity;
    • Topaz Clean 3;
    • Topaz DeJpeg 4;
    • Topaz Detail 3;
    • Topaz InFocus;
    • Topaz Lens Effects;
    • Topaz PhotoFXlab;
    • Topaz ReStyle;
    • Topaz Simplify 4;
    • Topaz Star Effects;

However, I will forward your comments concerning Filter Forge to the person in charge for further consideration. 

John West

Thanks Anna

Deborah Hinter

I was able to get the Google NIK Collection working with Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3.  I uninstalled both programs.  I went into Lightroom and removed all connections from there also and uninstalled Skylum products as plugins.  I then used App Cleaner and removed all references to Skylum products.

I then created a NEW FOLDER in the APPLICATIONS, called PHOTOSHOP PLUGINS.

I then used the Installer with Google NIK, and clicked on the + sign while installing, and pointed the installer to the newly created PHOTOSHOP PLUGINS folder in the APPLICATIONS.

I then told the installer to install NIK to that folder.

Then I downloaded my programs again from Skylum.

I installed Luminar 2018.

I opened up an image inside Luminar 2018, and went up to Plugins, other and pointed it to the NEW PHOTOSHOP PLUGINS folder, then kept drilling down until the actual .plugin was located and clicked.

I did the same process for Luminar 3.

Now when I open these programs, and go to plugins, the NIK plugins show up and work fine.  

I hope this helps someone here who has experienced the same frustrations.

Please sign in to leave a comment.