Support for sidecar files from FastRawViewer

Comments

7 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Remo - Great suggestion! We'll keep this in mind as we develop our digital asset manager. It will, no doubt, have culling capabilities as well and I can see how working with FRV might speed up many users' workflows.

Comment actions Permalink
    Fernando Ariznavarreta

Well, I expect the DAM of Luminar to be the best way to cull and see my photos and I expect not to need another external tool as FasRawViewer.

Remo Coon

Replying to Fernando,

1. I would be willing to bet the DAM will not be as fast as FRV. Luminar's track record on speed does not look like it would be as fast and in any event a single purpose, narrowly written application has a better chance of a smaller memory load and shorter code paths. This is just an opinion, of course.

2. I don't want or need a DAM and I may not be alone in that. I'm perfectly happy with the native file system and the ease of using diverse tools and organizational techniques. Luminar has a lot of users who either don't use a DAM or use one that lets them use Luminar as a plug-in. Keep in mind that FRV doesn't need to "import" files and a DAM by definition will do that. Examples abound and include LR, Photos, etc.

Phil Hurd

FRV is a good way to do an initial cull of images. However it is not a DAM, its purely a file browser that has the ability to use XMP sidecar files (which I personally hate). FRV will not read TIFF files and is therefore useless as a DAM (as far as I'm concerned anyway).

In Lightroom you have the option whether to use external XMP sidecar files or keep the information within the Lightroom Library, I choose the latter but its nice to have the choice.

The fact that you don't need a DAM Remo, doesn't mean that other users do. Have a look on the Skylum Facebook page, the question is asked nearly every day and raises quite a lot of emotion at times!

Finally I have no speed issues with Luminar, so I cannot accept your view on this.

Paul Jennings

I also use FRV for image culling in the field. I was surprised when I moved to Luminar 3 that it did not import FRV sidecar files. If not all the capabilities, then at least it could import the rating and label colors.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Paul,

I'll be sure to share this request with our developers. Thanks for your feedback.

Kah Fok

I have the same request " If not all the capabilities, then at least it could import the rating and label colors."

Please sign in to leave a comment.