How about color management in Luminar?

Comments

34 comments

michael mills

I use Aurora Windows mostly and I use Luminar Windows as a plugin to Aurora. Generally when I open a RAW file in Aurora, I look for any issues that may need correction in Luminar (like erasing or cloning) first and open the photo in Luminar, take care of those issues and then return to Aurora for additional adjustment. I always notice that the Luminar layer ADDS some additional color rendering that I don't want (like overly saturated colors). That said, I can still make tweaks to that image since I haven't really processed the image in Aurora yet but it's still disconcerting that the Aurora to Luminar to Aurora process changes the color of the image. Why?

If for some reason you don't immediately notice something that needs correction using Luminar and attempt to make a correction in Luminar later in the Aurora edit process after you have made adjustments, again, when you apply the corrections in Luminar and bring them back to Aurora, the color is changed dramatically. .....again WHY?

Another issue is that when you export to JPEG using sRGB, the color in the finished JPEG is also significantly different (on the same monitor) than what you worked so hard to get in the program. I've found that exporting to Adobe RGB seems to keep the color the same as was seen in Aurora. Why does this happen?

I can understand the use of sRGB (smaller color space) for Facebook and other online media. BUT, I would not expect that exporting using sRGB would cause colors to be more saturated or significantly different than from what you see during editing in Aurora. What is going on with the export to JPEG process? ...and what should we do about it?

Something is not right with ALL these interactions!

WHEN are users going to see the list of reported/confirmed Aurora/Luminar bugs and the target dates for these fixes - which we have been asking for for years?????????

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Ingram

I have given up on this being sorted out. It appears this is a Windows problem. Mac users seem to be ok
    I tried for months addressing support with this and always had to submit screenshots, video to help sort out. The issue remained with no clarification from support except there was something wrong with my color profile. Really? It seems to work on all of my other photo editing software. I did not upgrade to Luminar 4 on fear of this being carried over with no fix for Windows users. I have since requested a refund. Like the program, wish it worked for me. Good Luck!

michael mills

SKYLUM TEAM - we Windows users are looking for a response to all these questions & issues......

Kate Williams

Hi Michael, 
    Please contact us at https://skylum.com/support so that we could check it for you. Please paste the link to this thread and attach the following information to your request: 

1. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    2. Type colorcpl in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    3. Make a screenshot of the window that opens and send it to us.

If you have more than one display, select each display you use in the Device dropdown and send us screenshots for each display.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.