ALL ABOUT DAM

Comments

18 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi David, Thanks for joining the community and sharing your thoughts! The DAM is taking longer than originally anticipated to develop, but we want to make sure we get it right. We will be releasing the DAM later this year as a free update to all Luminar 2018 users. As soon as we can we'll start releasing specifics about functionality. Until then, I can tell you that our devs are working hard to make sure it is an amazing solution!

Comment actions Permalink
    Andrew Hewitt

Hi, I am in agreement with David here. I bought the upgrade to Luminar 2018 on the selling point of the DAM. I like the results Luminar gives me, but for processing lots of images, its too cumbersome to be used more than occasionally. A built in DAM with non-destructive processing is definitely something many of us need, and are looking out for more when the subscription purchase from Adobe is not suitable to our needs.

I appreciate all the work and effort that's going into it, but please, don't be so 'Apple' with the development, keep your customers informed - especially as we've not (yet) got a major feature that we've paid for. I can live with using Lightroom (v6 standalone) in the meantime, but only for so long. If we had at least some idea that this was definitely going to happen, then we might stop looking elsewhere.

One thing that'll really be a put off in the future, is when we finally get the DAM we've been expecting, and then a month later another paid upgrade comes out (is there likely to be a Luminar 2019?). Can I suggest that you consider those that bought Luminar 2018 from the beginning - I was a pre-release buyer, and have been without a major feature for so long when/if you release a new upgrade.

Cheers.

Phil Hurd

I agree withDavid, I originally purchased Luminar 17 on the basis that a DAM would be delivered, so I can sympathise with the frustration levels. Having said that, I have tried pretty well every DAM there is (for macOS anyway) and the only one that actually works well is Lightroom. I don't want to stay with Adobe though. There will come a time when I get a new camera and my current version of LR will have to be upgraded to a subscription model, I don't intend to go there.

Of the alternatives I tested, some are slow, some are just file browsers, quite a few rely entirely on XMP sidecar files to hold metadata, without providing a choice. Some crash regularly, some are just plain flakey. None can match Lightroom as a DAM, in my opinion. 

So there is a lot resting on Skylum's implementation of a DAM. Affinity Photo promised a DAM at around the same time as MacPhun did (early 2017) and they have quietly dropped the idea. That tells me that implementing a DAM is not an easy undertaking. 

So as I said there is a lot riding on the DAM, I just hope that if Skylum are finding the undertaking to be difficult that they don't (once again) turn around and drop the idea. I for one would appreciate some honesty in that respect.

Best wishes

Fernando Ariznavarreta

I understand your frustration.

You are a Mac guy, but there are lots of people like me that are windows guys and have bought the program due to the same promises.

May be that the decision to enter the windows market has produced some delays in some improvements of the software.

But if you try to be a replacement of Lightroom you need some grow in development teams and in market, as it is quite a big effort and different market of just being a provider of filter sets to LR or PS.

When you develop for serveral platforms, you cannot have different code bases for each platform (may you you can is you are a company of the size of Microsoft).

So If skylum is going to develop for Ios and windows, they are going to have most of the code common to both platforms.

We will see new features at the same time in both platforms in the future.

May be they need some time now to make some modifications in their code to get it adapted to both platforms.

The expected DAM in Luminar is quite ambitious, as it promises to read Lightroom catalogs and some improvments.

If they can make that happened, and read the keywords hierarchy of LR, I will be happy and can cope with other minor problems or lack of functionality. I can wait for it a few months too.

Robert Garnett

I hear your comments and agree that it is frustrating not to be able to view images processed in Luminar and save in their native format. That is not, however why I upgraded my original Luminar to L18. Both were pre-ordered on the strength of MacPhun's creative vision and delivery through its Creative Kit collection. Unlike those that bought L18 on the strength of the promise of an unspecified DAM as well as the existing L18 improvements, the significant increase in functionality in L18 was enough to persuade me that the upgrade was worthwhile. My annual subscription to Adobe CC expires in August, so I have plenty of time to decide whether or not to renew based on a comparison with the Skylum DAM. I hope for something better than Nikon's View-NXi but don't need all the functionality bundled in the Adobe CC subscription. Development costs money (as Elon Musk and Tesla have discovered) so I understand Skylum's funding approach. And if there is to be a Luminar 2019, I will probably pre-order that as well.

Phil Hurd

It would be really good if Skylum asked some of its more loyal customers (i.e. the ones that don't moan & groan all the time), to be beta testers for the DAM. I for one would be more than willing to provide confidential and constructive feedback given that I have tried pretty much every DAM available for macOS.

John Robinson

I just want to move to the next stage in my photography and for that, I want Lightroom or Skylum's DAM. Having been with Skylum/MacPhun since Creative Kit's latter days, I'm comfortable with the editing software it produces. However now that Angela Andrieux is talking about "later this year", Adobe's offerings are becoming increasingly attractive. It's almost time for me to cut my losses. Skylum is showing all the signs of a company that has overreached itself. 

David Ullman

Well, I didn't mean to stir the pot this much, but it's comforting to know that my feelings are shared by others.  I too started with the Creative Kit.  I was mightily impressed. Like so many others I very much appreciated Luminar when it came along. (I still do).  And I think we all appreciate the support and customer relations efforts that hallmarks Skylum.  

I know, and how I know, "development" of a product like a DAM doesn't just happen.  It takes time, energy, money and very talented people.  Yet, today, tech products are developed to deadlines.  Don't mean to lecture... but most consumer tech products reach a level of marketability and then they are released. Glitches, mistakes, malfunctions. corrections are then made and marketed as "upgrades."  Think Apple and you'll know what I mean.  If Skylum is waiting for a perfect DAM they'll have a long wait.  A very long wait. 

In short, I believe that Skylum (I still prefer Macphun) has earned my loyalty.  And the loyalty of most its customers. However, I'm not particularly happy storing pictures in PHOTOS and going back and forth.  So, like others have mentioned, I'll wait.  But down the road, I know I'll have to make to make a decision because "out there" someone is working like crazy to offer a complete kick-ass storage/editing system that's as effective and fun as Luminar. That's the way it works. 

My hopes are high and my fingers are crossed.

David\, Nuthin' but Nikons

Phil Hurd

Can I add that using Apple Photos is no good if you want to process 3x Bracketed images in Aurora. Photos extension will only send one image to Aurora. The Apple Photos Library also uses a large amount of disk space, even if you just 'reference' your image files. Now I use Aurora and Luminar exclusively for my image processing (though I sometimes use Skylum Creative Kit). I am totally reliant on Lightroom as my DAM and I don't want to be!

Steven Ralser

I started with Intensify pre CK (I believe I bought it when they were had a MAcBook as a prize), and have enjoyed using it ever since, and will continue to use it.  It has gotten better with each iteration. I also would like the DAM - but can wait.  I'm hoping it will provide printing like LR -then I can ditch LR (and also upgrade my OS - I'm using LR 5.5).  The other thing to remember is that LR is now on about version 8 or 9 - it's taken man-years to get to this level.  We can't expect the skylum DAM to be an immediate exact substitute for LR (although people will complain if it's not).  Hopefully they can release it soon and then work on dramatically improving it.  I for one don't immediately need many of the features of LR (e.g. books,map,).

P.s. I would also be happy to be a beta tester - I don't know anybody else using Luminar and can keep quiet.

Tony Collins

Backing up Andrew here. Your track record of releasing fully functional software is not good (please see Windows version for example) Please don't release the DAM Half baked, in need of numerous fixes and improvements - and then only provide those improvements in a paid upgrade. I purchased luminar on the understanding that the DAM would be early 2018 - ie at least 6 months of fixes and upgrades available. I expect to have a fully functional and bug fixed DAM without having to pay for the next version.

Affinity is biting at your heels :-)

Thanks.

David Ullman

Let me clear up a thought I expressed in an earlier note.  When I referenced "Think Apple," is was referring to the constant stream of software fixes, etc. that Apple provides at no charge.  They call them "upgrades."  When it comes to to upgrading the OS (ie: Sierra to High Sierra) there's no charge. to these "upgrades"  either.

I'd feel a letter better if SKYLUM sent me a note saying:

"Wow! Developing a DAM worth sending to you is just take more time that we ever imagined. I can't say exactly when, because we don't know.  But the minute we can release it we'll send you an email with the speed of summer lightning!

We appreciate your patience.  Many thanks!

Mr. Big, Skylum"

Will they do it.  I don't know and can't even begin to guess. but, as I've noted, they've earned my loyalty.  It is, however, up to them to keep me loyal.

DavidUllman, Nuthin' but Nikons

David Ullman

Excuse my typos, please.  Just about out the door.

David U

Tim Trim

In developing the DAM be mindful when opening images edited in earlier versions of Luminar. I noticed an image edited in 2017 looked totally different opened in 2018. A DAM will need to provide the option to re-process or use different versions of the numerous filters to display consistent results.

Arno Grbac

I recall a ton of news splashes in October of 2017, about MacPhun releasing DAM in Luminar 2018, and some nice pictures/video of something resembling that on your website. Legally, you said it would happen in 2018, so that's good.

What's alarming though is that you've since taken down those videos/pictures and any mention of DAM from your website. To somebody who's been in the software industry for about 30 years, it looks like you've lost the people who were actually working on that, and that DAM is no more.

I don't really care about the ~$60 that I have given you to help you build DAM late last year, but it looks like you're really just covering this up, and are handling it like a bunch of douc**s.

For a company that is way more marketing than substance, you'd be running DAM press releases round the clock, if you only had something. The fact that you're hiding what little you had is a said way for people to figure out that they've been scammed, and that you have no spine.

Blog about what you got, and how much progress you've made. Talk about the features that work, and tell us when they're supposed to be released. Share a beta. Have the project manager, and devs post some blog stories. Show us a picture of the Kanban board, or whatever you use.

You shouldn't even try to tell people that there is any sort of secrecy required around this effort - this is a question of basic credibility, and at this point you have absolutely none left.

David Smith

@David Ullman, don't you think its a bit rich as a creative director to state that you don't care about windows, then talk about them and us.

Why is your money any better than mine?

Does anyone know when this article was posted? - https://skylum.com/blog/its-time-rethink-your-postprocessing-workflow

I hate it when websites publish things without dates on it, especially when they are referring to "within a few weeks"

Denis Kotsee

@David Smith the article is dated June 26. You can find the original here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/its-time-re-think-your-post-processing-workflow-scott-bourne/

David Ullman

David Smith:  I answered your question, but not sure it got through.  Briefly, here's my thinking:

1. In the world off Art Directors, Graphic Designers, GUI developers, etc.  Apple/Mac is "US."  The number of people using Windows way bigger... I mean WAY bigger. They are "Them."  Windows users are very well taken care of by a huge number of app developers. Windows is by far the biggest software company around.

2.  I started with Skylum when it was MacPhun. I'm not the only that name spoke to.  And we responded with cheers to the Creative Kit and Luminar from its beginning.  All during the past several years we've heard about the impending DAM.  We heard the promises. And we're been patient.  Then out of the blue comes Luminar for Windows!

3.  As someone who has worked with many "tech" clients, it is not unreasonable to think that maybe the DAM has been set side to accommodate Windows users. No one denies that development of something like a DAM takes a fair amount of time, energy, talent and money.  But the DAM project has been touted and promised for a very long time.  But there is a time to pull back all the BS and wait until the DAM is ready for launch.  Too continually promise, or even reference, something you're not ready too deliver is  sure way ti sully the Skylum brand.

4.  No, my money isn't better than yours. I don't believe I stated or implied that it is. 

David Ullman

Please sign in to leave a comment.