Batch Processing Aurora 2018 not working correctly

Comments

28 comments

Konstantin Zolo

Hi Ken,

Thank you for joining in!

Could you please send us examples of your brackets to support@skylum.com? You can use WeTransfer to send them: https://wetransfer.com/  

Thank you in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Hays Clark

@Ken I too was having a similar issue, this is what the AuroraHDR team e-mailed me.

In order to compose the Bracket Groups, bracket detection algorithm reads the image's metadata and checks the following rules.

Rule 1

• Same file Extension
    • Same Exposure Program
    • Same Focal Length

Rule 2

• If the time difference between the shots is less than 4 seconds - it is a bracket

Rule 3

• If the image cannot be previewed and time difference is less than 15 seconds - it is a bracket

Rule 4

• Edges comparing

In case one of the rules is false, the image will be recognized as a single.

Ken Aaron

Thanks Hays. I would have replied sooner but I haven't been getting email notifications of comments and then I had login issues.  I've sent Skylum my files. But I'm guessing the rules are the problem. I shoot 360's pretty quickly, so the time between two brackets is less than 4 second. Aurora is reading multiple brackets as a single bracket. It would be ridiculous for me to have to  slow down to accommodate the software. Instead, they should let me tell Aurora how many images make up a bracket. Confusion avoided. 

While we can manually separate the images into the correct brackets, that defeats the purpose of batch processing. 

Ben Droppinit

As of today the problem still exists. Looks like Ken's cries for help a month ago went unanswered by this crappy company. I just purchased this software today and am regretting it now because it thinks that my 3 brackets of 5 photos each are only one photo. This is the dumbest software. Photomatix might produce worse quality images but at least I can batch many images by choosing how many images are for each bracket. I'm blown away by how dumb this is and how Aurora could be awarded the best app if they can't even fix or update this. It crashes when I drag a folder in so I used the "browse" and finally got them to open. But it thinks all of the images are just for you picture. So freaking dumb. If you're reading this and want to buy aurora for batch processing think again. It's a complete waste of time. I could've been done with my work already but I've been messing around with this stupid software for an hour now and it looks like they have no intention of fixing it. In the tutorial it says how "smart" the software is but it's the programmers who are the dummies.

Hays Clark

@Ben Droppinit I too am annoyed that this feature has not been implemented but I think that the reaction is a little harsh.  It can easily take a development team a month or two to find an issue like this, design a solution, test that solution and then deploy it.  Not to mention that that development teams don't typically drop what they are doing to go after an issue which likely only affects a minority of users.  I don't see how complaining and name calling is going to help speed up or motivate the company.

Yaroslav Kizyma

We do understand that there are still parts of the software that require much more additional work and acknowledge that. You may not believe me, but we do care about our work and are passionate about our software.

While I do appreciate your feedback and can understand why are you frustrated, I have to warn you that such behavior is not tolerated - we are here for a constructive conversation.

Ben, I, or my colleagues, will remove your post in a few hours. You can drop us a message at support@skylum.com and we will do our best to resolve this issue.

Everyone else - we acknowledge the issue and I can assure you that our developers are working on improving Aurora HDR bracket detection algorithm.

Greg Barteluk

I'm having the same problem. I'm a real estate photographer and take hundreds of photos per home. Aurora doesn't correctly detect which photos are bracketed so this funtion is useless and processing individual photos is far too time consuming. Very disappointing to find out after I paid for this software that it just doesn't work. It should have an option of telling it how many photos are in a bracket. I will not recommend this software without this important feature functioning properly.

Ken Aaron

Yes, Greg, that's the boat I'm in. Photomatix allows me to just tell it how many images are in a bracket and it works great. To me this is a case of over automation. Just let me tell Aurora what to look for, then it can process away. I'm anxious for this to get fixed because the results from Aurora are much better than Photomatix. So far, this issue is the only failing I've found for this app. 

Mark Mahoney

I am also having the same problem, but I have been asking macphun / skylum to resolve this for quite a while...  here is paste of my email:

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Mark Mxxxxxxxxx   wrote:
    Batch processing seems to have quit working, or i don't know how to use it?

Every photo now loads as a single photo, it doesn't matter if i pick 3 bracketed photos, or 30 sets of 3 brackets, they all show up as single photos during import...

/crm.macphun.us/open/366433" width="7" height="1" alt="" />

I really need this to work, and hope they are working on it, but for me it's a been year since my first email and still NO change...

Kevin Barber

I'm also in the same boat. Real Estate photographer, shooting exclusively HDR (typically 7 image brackets). I purchased Aurora with the sole hope of being able to improve my workflow, but with the problems I'm having with batch processing, my Lightroom workflow is not all that bad (especially with the stacking improvements Adobe made on the latest release). I really don't love most of the effects that Aurora comes with, so the batch processing was pretty much my only use for it. 

Ken Aaron

Kevin, Yup. I continue to use Photomatix for my batch processing. While I like the interface and results from Aurora better, it’s just not cost effective for volume production. However, I continue to use Aurora for personal work, the end result is worth it. For me this is an acceptable work around until they can get this issue resolved. If you haven’t used Photomatix, it’s not that expensive and will speed your production.

Ken Aaron

Finally got a chance to try batch processing in the latest update. It's looking promising. Their new logic does a much better job at finding HDR brackets. I even selected a mixed bunch of files, some single shot some HDR brackets and overall it did a very good job of correctly grouping them. 

This is very encouraging and I'm looking forward to using it on my next real estate shoot.  

Thanks Skylum!

Kevin Barber

I just tried it on my latest shoot and still the same results: all images I selected for the batch coming up in their own group. I guess I'm sticking with my Lightroom workflow. 

• Canon 6D
    • 7 Bracketed Images (I tried both raw and jpeg images, in separate batches) using the camera's built-in bracketing
    • Continuous Drive Mode
    • Images copied straight from the card and into a folder on my computer
    • I have tried both the Windows and Mac version
    • Using version 1.2.0.2114 and checked for updates
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Kevin,

At the moment there are several bracket detection rules that are at play when Aurora checks the images you send to batch.

In order to compose bracket groups, Aurora reads the images' metadata and checks for the following:

Rule 1

• Same file extension
    • Same exposure program
    • Same focal length

Rule 2

• Time difference between shots is less than 4 seconds

Rule 3

• If the image cannot be previewed the time difference between brackets should be less than 15 seconds in order for them to be recognized as a group

Rule 4

• Edges comparing

In case any of these checks returns false, the image will be recognized as a single. Maybe this helps you achieve the results you're looking for. If not, do you already have an open support ticket about this issue?

To open a support ticket please send us a set of your bracketed images to support@skylum.com (with a link to this thread) and we'll see if we can figure out why Aurora isn't recognizing your brackets. If the images are too large to email you can use WeTransfer.com and then share the link with us.

Thanks in advance!

Ken Aaron

I still recommend that Skylum give us the option to manually tell Aurora how many photos are in a bracket. That would eliminate this kind of guess work and back and forth. It works well in Photomatix, I never had a batch processing issue because I tell it how many images are in a bracket. Very simple and clean. 

Is there a reason that Skylum is choosing to not let us do this, not let us manually tell Aurora how many images are in a bracket? Automation is great until it doesn’t work. This seems like a simple fix to me.

Kevin Barber

Personally, I would prefer that we could choose the parameters Aurora is using to match the photos, so if one was messing it up, we could overwrite it. In my real estate shots, I'm not always shooting a set number of brackets - and sometimes I have to add an exposure, to a bracket. It would be great to be able to drag a frame from one (say, a single-photo) group to another. 

Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Making 360x180° panoramas, I often have to backet my photos ! I just tried one panorama consisting of 5 images bracketed 6 times, hence -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 and +3 EV, so 30 images in all...

I uploaded them as a batch, but the software was unable to create 5 HDR images !

What have I done wrong ?

Isn't it possible to tell the software how many bracketed images are shot, to make one HDR image ?

Regards,

J-P.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Jean-Pierre!
    Could you please send us the original files to support@skylum.com? This way, we will test them on our side.

Here's how you can send them to us:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the email.

Please make a reference to this post in the email so we could trace your original message.
      Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Jean-Pierre Scherrer

Thanks Nastia, but it'll be a bit difficult to send you the 30 files: they are Nikon D810 RAW files, about 28 MB each, so a total of +/- 830 MB :-O !!...and I have a very slow WIFI connection !

As I'm not the only one having this problem, certainly someone else can send you their files !?

Looking forward for an explanation or solution...

Best regards,

J-P.

Jean-Pierre Scherrer

BRW, I tink that the idea of Ken Aaron (a few posts above) is good ! Thatl how batch bracketed images work in Photomatix Pro and SNS-HDR work :-) !

Kevin Barber

I think there is another factor that Aurora is considering that was not listed above. I normally shoot my interior HDR images on 7 1-stop brackets using CamRanger, but exterior photos I hand-hold and use the camera's internal bracketing to rattle off 7 exposures. I wanted to see if Aurora 2019 handled batch any differently than previous versions so I threw my latest session in to batch and the first set of images, which happened to be exterior, hand-held using the in-camera bracketing, recognized the stack correctly. I know that the CamRanger-triggered shots should fit the above criteria (Lightroom recognizes them and will put them into auto-stack based on similar criteria). 

To be sure, I went back to the day I did only exteriors, using in-camera bracketing, and all brackets were in proper groups. Since I also did aerial shots that day I repeated the experiment with my DJI Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Pro, which I also used the in-camera setting. 

I will open a case as mentioned above with some example brackets. 

Cedric Saveuse

I'm having the same problem as everyone else and was shocked at reading the rules used to identify brackets. Every workflow will differ and these rules need to be totally rewritten in order to accommodate various workflows. Here is an example:

DJI Go apps allow automated shooting of 360 panoramas. These can only be done with a single shot, ie. not Automated bracket for each camera angle. The easiest way to collect the data is to do 3 or 5 or 7 panoramas with different exposures. Of course, these are not recognised by Aurora as bracketed shots as the time between each exposure at the same angle is more than 4 seconds. The files are saved in different folders. Each exposure in the bracket has the same name, e.g.: PANO0001 in folder 100_0001 is the first exposure and PANO0001 in folder 100_0002 is the second exposure, etc...

Users need to be able to set their own rules for batch processing PERIOD. There is no one rule working for all case scenarios. As it stands, it takes 3 hours to process one panorama with 5 brackets. This a waste of my time and I'm considering a refund on both Luminar and Aurora as I got these mostly for drone work and batch processing of vast amounts of data!

Damian Vines

10 months now and still no fix or even a validation from Skylum that this an issue they are aware of. Since then Aurora 2019 has come out and still has the same problem. WTF? For my RE workflow it completely negates the efficient use of this product, I guess they only care about hobbyist.

It only detects correct batches on the orignal RAW but not on any exported tiff's, dng's, psd's, jpegs out of Lightroom even if you ensure that you include all meta data in your LR export. Useless batching

Helena Carter

Hello, Damian. I am terribly sorry about your experience and I completely understand how frustrating it is. Currently, we're working on improving our batch processing algorithms in Aurora HDR 2019 with each update. Unfortunately, there's no ETA for the next update as for now, but we will keep you posted. We care about your experience and we always pass your feedback to our technical department. Your opinion really maters. Thanks for bearing with us while we're improving our software, you help us to become better.

Damian Vines

Thank you Helena for the response, I look forward to the update

Damian Vines

Batch processing the way it works now, is basically useless for me. I need to batch process images with LR adjustments applied.  Aurora won't initiate a batch operation when opening multiple backed images when used as a plugin, and even in stand alone mode, it often won't recognize separate brackets, even for images that are clearly different. With upwards of 20 bracketed images to process (the whole point of batching) it's just not time effective to have to manually sort them into the correct brackets. It's also not time effective to have to export the edited LR files fist and then bracket them in Aurora. For those of you that ask, why not just process the RAW files? I've found through a lot of trial and error, that each exposure needs it's tweaking for color balance mostly, and a few other tonal tweaks to give way better result than simply using the RAWs, not to mention there's no Lens Correction avail when processing the RAW's. No matter how good tonal software is, it will never be able to acutely guess what parts of the images it's using are suppose to be what color temperature, and when you're dealing with a scene with multiple color temperatures like real estate for one, you need to dial in the appropriate color temp for the parts of the scene that the blending software will likely use for that part of the scene. Don't get me wrong, I think the blending engine is fanatic, it's the workflow and usability that's my issue. It's too bad too, it really is the best engine on the market but is probably losing a big market share for working stiffs that really need a batch workflow :( I hope the next update (if there is one.. ) will address that, 4 months ago there was no ETA on an update, how about now?

Ken Aaron

I'll add to this. I recently purchased an Insta360 Pro 1 camera. I use it's stitching app to stitch the images in to 360 HDR layers then save the layers. I want to use Aurora 2019 to merge the layers. When I open the folder containing the layers, Aurora doesn't recognize them as brackets only individual images. 

Batch has improved over time. While I like the auto detect, sometimes it would just be easier to tell Aurora how many images are in a bracket. This is one of those cases. I don't understand why you guys don't add it as an option. 

Right now I can't use Aurora to batch process these images. 

Richard MacDonald

Sorted by name and let the user input the bracketing count and you will solve 95+% of the needs. To go a year without adding this basic capability indicates poor business decision making leading to a screwed up developer prioritization queue. I'm in the software business and this is very concerning.

Please sign in to leave a comment.