Better sky replacement method

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Great workflow, Larry! Thank you for sharing!

Comment actions Permalink
    Nick Buchko

Larry, I'm trying to duplicate what you described, but I am struggling. Can you possibly describe the steps in a little more detail.  Thank you.

Nick

Christer Eriksson

Hey ! Larry lets you further develop this way with different steps, making it easier to follow what you mean. Thanks for the tip !

LARRY FITZPATRICK

Nick

I added some additional definition, let me know if this helps

1) Create new layer
    Push “+” next to Layers, this should give you a Layer 0
    2) Use Gradient mask to select the Sky area
    Select Paint Brush next to Layer 0, then select Gradient Mask
    Position the Gradient mask to cover the sky area including tree or buildings. Best if you highlight mask area with EYE button.
    3) Use texture Filter and put in a new sky
    Use “Add Filter” and select the Texture Overlay to add the filter. Select the JPEG sky replacement image you wish to use. If you do not have one Google can find many of them.
    4) Use a luminosity mask with the Texture Filter, This does seen to challenge Luminar Processing so be patient.
    Select the Paint Brush next to the “Texture Overlay” filter, then select the Luminosity Mask.

Ed Genaux

Also I do Milky Ways and found that you can resize the imported image to place say the Milky Way higher or left or right in the sky. and then blend at different opacity settings of both the imported brushed or gradient and the layer where it will blend in even behind power lines. It was just a play time thing when I did it, Like you would do in PS (just can not do PS) but this was way easier. Also for doing a focused moon over a blown out one, just resizing import image and placement is harder. 

Nick Buchko

Larry, thanks for the update.  I was eventually able to achieve success in using your sky replacement method.  I thought I posted this update the other day, but apparently it wasn't posted.

Nick

Please sign in to leave a comment.