Blur filter

Answered

Comments

26 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Frank,

We promise to consider the possibilities of adding the option to blur a photo in Luminar 2018. 

Also, please note that you can use Luminar 2018 as Photoshop Elements plugin. If you need instruction for that, please drop a message to support@skylum.com. We'll be glad to help you :)  

Comment actions Permalink
    Anthony Djudzman

I have been wondering on how to blur the background of photo on Luminar 2018 or Aurora 2018 (I have both). I have asked Jim Nix and he has gave me a hint by using 'Structure filter again and again. But would be wonderful if Luminar could add the option to blur a photo. Hope it would be coming very soon...

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Anthony, we'll definitely consider that.

Also, there is an option to use Focus CK as Luminar 2018 and Aurora HDR 2018 plugin. It's is one of our Creative Kit apps.

If you need more info here, please drop a line to support@skylum.com 

Shad DeBoor

I would also like to see a blur filter as that would be an awesome addition to this program. I’m just trying to figure everything out as I’m new to Luminar. I would love to see something like the snapseed blur option..

Mike Morrison

Jim Nix has a video that creates a fair blur effect using the structure filter.  It's not going to do the exact thing a blur tool can do but it's decent.

Jordi Villaró

I need to apply a blur effect to the background of a photograph.

Does Luminar 3 implement the filter for blurring?

Thanks!

Colin Grant

Why is it that Focus CK does not show as a plugin to L3?

Jordi Villaró

I dont know. Where is this filter?

Colin Grant

It is not a filter. It is a Skylum app called Focus CK that should work as a plugin. I have Focus CK on my Mac but it does not show as a plugin to L3. Can anyone at Skylum assist on this please?

Denis Kotsee

If you own Focus or any other app from the CK package, you can follow these steps to load them in L3 as plugins:

1. Open Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and paste the following path: /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software. Locate the folder of the app you'd like to connect to Luminar 3. Navigate inside that folder - there will be a folder named Plug-ins there. Navigate inside the Plug-ins folder. There will be a bunch of files in there, the one you're interested in has .plugin extension.
    2. Copy the .plugin file somewhere where you can easily find it.
    3. In Luminar, double-click any photo to open the full preview mode.
    4. Click Edit > Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Luminar to the .plugin file you just copied. The CK app should open.

Creative Kit has been moved to legacy, meaning that we're no longer supporting or distributing it.

Colin Grant

Thank you @Denis

Roger Nolan

Hi Denis, is there a better answer on how to get a real blur filter in Luminar than using legacy software? This seems like a basic feature that’s been missing since day one? Is the problem that it’s difficult to implement or that adobe have some patent on blur algorithms?

Helena Carter

Hi Roger ,

Currently, we don't plan to add this feature.  But I will pass your suggestion to our developers. We will keep you posted. 

Best regards

Roger Nolan

Could you give a reason? It feels like a basic and common feature. Things like soft focus are not replacements.

Dann Lavery

@Roger: my 2 cents is Luminar is intended to be an option to Lightroom not PS. Gaussian blurs et all are in the PS domain.
    Myself, in my migration from software rental, have developed a workflow using Skylum and Serif software. In a perfect world.........

Hope you find a solution that fits you.

Colin Grant

So why does Luminar have layers then and why does it not have comparable masking tools. It was supposed to be a viable alternative to the Adobe subscription, which includes Ps.

Bill Kyle

Hi Dennis

If you load a plug-in from the CK set of programs as you described here, how do you delete it from the plug-in list in Luminar 3? For some reason the plug-in fails to activate properly.

Thanks!

Bill Kyle

Running High Sierra on a mid 2010 iMac.

Roger Nolan

Yeah, I don’t but that as a reason. Lightroom has algorithmic blur. Luminary’s seems somewhat between LR and PS in features so this is a really weird omission.
    I actually find the fact that Skylum rule this out so definitively interesting. It’s either a legal issue (which I doubt) or some strategic direction which means I don’t like the way luminary’s is going :-(

Colin Grant

Where does Lr have blur? I might have missed that.

Angela Andrieux

@Bill Kyle - Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help you with that. Please be sure to specify exactly what happens when you invoke Focus as a Luminar 3 plugin and if you get any errors. Thanks in advance!

Ron Leckie

I also fully agree that Luminar needs a real blur function like the PS Gaussian Blur.  Using Soft Focus, Soft Glow, and/or Image Radiance in Luminar give fake-looking results.  I'll add my vote for this feature - please!!!

Dmytro B.

Hi Ron, thanks for your feature request! We might add it in the future updates. 

Lennart

Blur is such a fundamental feature for editiing product photography and portraits. Please add this ASAP.

Anastasia Davis

Hi! As we mentioned, we passed your comments to our developers for future consideration. 

marc labro

yes, please add blur tools, motion blue for sky, tilt shift,...

i am on win10 so no access to Focus Skylum old tools

I need to launch photoshop all the time for blurring skies and background

marc

Please sign in to leave a comment.