Luminosity and Color Range Masking

Comments

24 comments

Colin Grant

+1 to that, Michael.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tim Trim

Check out the luminosity masking in On 1 Photo - something like that would be cool.

Konstantin Zolo

Noted! We'll do our best to implement similar functionality in future updates.

Margarita Ney

Yes, +1 for this feature

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Yes, we need to select different levels of luminosity maks and inverted masks, and medium tone maks.

On1 has a good implementation of luminosity masks.

We need a similar approach.

Being able to contrast or manipulate the mask would be of great help too.

Marco Goglio

+1 This will be a killer feature.

Stephen Campbell

Is there a way to do Luminosity Masking in Aurora or Luminar? In today's post production this is essential. I has been in both products. Don't understand why it was taken out. Look forward to hearing from you.

Julia Kot

Hi Stephen,

The Luminosity mask is presented in both Luminar and Aurora HDR. Here is an info about masking option in Luminar and Aurora HDR:

https://skylum.com/luminar/user-manual/2018/windows/masking-options-in-luminar

https://aurorahdr.com/tutorials/working-with-Masks-aurora-hdr-2018

Stephen Campbell

Thank you very much Julia. I just did not see that option while excitedly working in the new version of Aurora HDR and had forgotten where it was in Luminar. Very much appreciate your rapid response.

Stephen Campbell

Julia,

As a follow on could you recommend one or more videos on Luminosity Masking with Aurora or Luminar 2018. Many thanks in advance.

Stephen Campbell

Thank you Angela. Some of these I have seen but others are new to me. Nonetheless, good resources I am sure.

All the best,

Michael Anderson

Angela,

As you know that luminosity mask is not what we had in Aurora previously.   It is totally bogus for someone to assume that you want to mask out dark zones (and precisely which zones?) and apply an adjustment to all the mid tones and highlights.   Previously we could select with tonal zones to apply or mask out an adjustment.   The is how we do it in Lr or in Ps using "blend if".    And color range is totally missing.   Even On1 Photo Raw now does luminosity and color range masking....and by selectable ranges.  

Angela Andrieux

Hi Michael,

I miss that feature too. I hope our developers bring it back!

In the meantime - a workaround I've come up with is to create an adjustment layer, and depending on what part of the image you want to target, creating adjustments that modify the intensify of the light and dark areas, then creating my luminosity mask from that - and then either hiding that adjustment layer or resetting the filters. I can then take my Luminosity Mask and copy it to other layers as desired. Here are a few examples:

This is the default Luminosity mask with no edits made to the photo:

For the image below I created an Adjustment Layer and then modified the settings in the HDR Basic Panel:

For an even more dramatic effect you can add in adjustments to the Tone Curve filter:

You can then take these mask, invert them if necessary, and copy/paste them to other layers.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope it helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything or offer any other suggestions.

Stephen Campbell

Michael, I am in complete agreement with you. I too would strongly urge the developers to bring back the zone system luminosity masking capability.

Angela your work around intrigues me. This is my understanding of what I have read. Please afirm or correct my interpretation.

1. Create an adjustment layer

2. Make whatever adjustments you feel you want to make to the image

3. Create a Luminosity mask post all the adjustments

4. Copy that mask on to subsequent Adjustment Layers

5. Inverting the mask if appropriate

6. Making further adjustments

I am going to have to give it try as on the surface I don't quite understand how it approximates the zone system. Nonetheless, that you for sharing it.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Stephen,

I think your recap covers it well. The only thing I don't see on your list is that the extreme adjustments I made to get the luminosity masks above actually make the image itself look horrible. Once you make the mask, copy it and then you can hide the layer with the extreme changes (or delete it once you are finished with all of your edits).

It is just an approximation of the zone system. I see the default luminosity mask as being primarily midtones (but this will vary by image depending on the contrast levels that you start with). 

The next roughly targets highlights (or shadows when inverted).

The last example roughly targets whites (or blacks when inverted).

You can modify the extremity of the adjustments for shades in between. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Stephen Campbell

Thank you Angela. I did miss a very important part. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will now give it a go and see what I am able to produce. Will let you know.

Stephen Campbell

Angela, troubling you again. Since the Skylum software shows its masks in Red is that equivalent to the Black mask in PS? Or is it equivalent to the White in PS? Very much appreciate your response.

Peter Holka

If I'm right then the red zone is where adjustments will be applied. So answer to your question is red=white, isn't it?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Stephen,

No trouble at all! Red in Luminar = Black in Photoshop.

In Luminar when the Mask Visibility Icon is activated (it looks like a little eye), the red will show where the effect will NOT be applied.

In Photoshop, in the Black & White view of a mask, white is where the effect takes place. However, if you activate the mask visibility in Photoshop the "\" hotkey the area in red shows where the effect will NOT be shown.

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything else.

Erik Heyninck

I just added another entry here about something similar. As a Photoshop user, I am used to all kind of light, medium and dark luminosity masks etc. This is a feature I miss.

A zone system would be great, yes.
    And/or the option to copy an imported image on a layer as a mask. Masks are, after all, also images, and if the can be copied and pasted from one layer to another, then why not images, if they are black and white and of the same size?

David Isaac

+1 for color mask.  See LightZone for a good example...I can use the color picker and range setting on a filter to apply the filter to any color range I want.  Selecting skin tones is a breeze, and my filters work across photos as a preset.  Masking with the brush in such cases seems primitive and inflexible by contrast.  Thanks for considering this enhancement.  

Techbug .

another idea ist do get inspirated by da vinci resolve. and becaus the masking dropdown menu would be to small, insert a masking menu at the same place where the presets are. so when you are changing filters the presetes are schown and if you are maska the preset bar gets replaced by a masking menu.

Techbug .

it would be also great to have masking layers or masks for masks. So you have a lumisosity mask and draw with the pencil an additional mask (or by colour or radial mask etc) where the filter also should be applied, without  destroing the luminosity mask.

Please sign in to leave a comment.