DAM

Answered

Comments

263 comments

• Official comment
    Konstantin Zolo

Hi, the DAM is actively being developed and will be released soon! We'll reveal more details when we get closer to the launch.

Comment actions Permalink
    Nicolas Venot

I won't at all be surprised if we keep getting non-specific updates and Skylum's word that its "coming soon"; that is until the announcement that they're now taking pre-orders for Luminar '19, and that it will include DAM available in "early 2019" (just like Luminar 2017).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I would be much happier if Skylum acted a little more transparently and gave customers a more specific and realistic time frame (even if they admit that it just won't be ready for this year's version). Yes there would be a lot of unhappy people who bought Luminar '18 primarily for the DAM, but in the long run, customers tend to appreciate not being constantly lead on... Despite having made a really powerful photo editing tool, Skylum has unfortunately established the track record of promising too much too soon. I'll be taking any mentions of upcoming features in current or future applications with a grain of salt, and waiting to see things released to the public before buying.

Chris Malikoff

@Angela Andrieux: "We'll be releasing more specific info on our DAM when we get closer to its release." - already half way through April and a rather open-ended statement designed to prolong the wait indefinitely. I'm losing confidence in Skylum's ability to deliver what I need for me to turn off Lightroom's on-going subscription. "When we get closer" should be revised as "When we deliver in [month]".

Cobus van Zyl

Another update today and no DAM. I'm sorry to say but DAM is a critical function for a lot of us. I don't want to switch from one application to another to view and edit photos. I like Luminar better than Lightroom for editing but am gladly paying the CC subscription to be able to manage my library. I won't be upgrading to the next version of Luminar and have stopped using it to edit.

If Luminar does not add DAM, and soon, they'll just become another wannabe in the photo editing software market. There are lots of other too but none can challenge Adobe because they fail to add a critical part of the workflow.

Chris Malikoff

Latest update (13/4/2018) - right at the bottom: "We hope you enjoy these improvements. We’re hard at work on more as well as the new digital asset manager for later this year."

You really need to do yourselves a favour and be more specific for your users. Serious photographers make economic decisions based on your promises, and this sort of language is not winning people over.

Denis Kotsee

I've got some news about the DAM - we're going to have another round of closed beta in August, and that's when we're going to start sharing more information about its features and stuff like that.

Russell Webb

Email today thought here we go the DAM has arrived but sadly NO!! just some new ambassadors and I have no use for ambassadors as they don't work on a Windows OS!!!!

Federico Lazzari

So. Its already SEPTEMBER. So about 6 to 8 months late, depending how you define "early 2018". And not a hint of a tentative release date. What a shame. Please man-up and deliver, or give us our money back. 

Nicolas Venot

Matt Broadbent, I'm very glad to hear Luminar is working so splendidly for you, as we can both know that it is indeed a very solid program to edit photos. If you're so sick of hearing from us so called "wingers", then why open up  thread titled "DAM" when you know exactly what's going to be inside? Some of us are trying to have a respectful conversation about the topic without slathering comments about DAM everywhere else.

As for us so called "wingers",  many of us bought Luminar '18 specifically based on Skylum's marketing clearly making DAM sound like it was right around the corner in "soon" and "early 2018". Are we not justified in letting Skylum know at our dissatisfaction at their lack of information? I think we can both agree that the non-constructive comments and name calling from users from either side of the DAM spectrum is getting very old. 

Despite voicing our concerns and displeasures, deep down many of us "wingers" think Skylum is onto something good with Luminar, and just really want them to succeed.

David Dengler

I purchased Lum 2018 last November. I was really looking forward to the DAM. Although I appreciated the ease-of-use I was very disappointed with how many features were missing from the Windows version from day one. I don't check this forum very often but I am sad to see all of the complaints and vague company promises. Based on the promise of "this fall" I don't expect to see the DAM for at least two more months. In fact I guess it could be three months and still be "this fall". I now realize that I should have gone with a more complete solution from the beginning. Long story short, I'm an amateur with limited post-processing experience. I have looked around for an inexpensive  program from a well-established company (non-subscription). ACDSee is having a sale on their software. They brag about the "best DAM on the market" I have played with the trial version for a few days and am ready to purchase. TOMORROW (9/4) is the final day of the sale. I expect to use ACDSee for asset management, probably for processing and Luminar as an external editor if needed. Or I may ask for a refund from Skylum if they don't deliver on their promises. For my purposes (amateur), ACDSee looks like it should fit the bill.

Peter Holka

Will be there option to arrange thumbs to normal (one size) grid? I don't really like the way as they are in the video, it is really awfull. BUT it is just my personal opinion. 

Bruce Bovill

I’d suggest you don’t simply launch the DAM. Start a beta process and invite a small number of the more experienced users to explore it. I’m not thinking a DAM is critical but others do. Don’t just launch and get slagged off by your customers; make sure you deliver on expectations.

Luis Mederos

I really would like Skylum to get a huge win out of this -- a full alternative to LR --- but I agree with the other posters.  We are losing confidence.

As a minimum:  

1. a listing of the DAM features that are being implemented (not being considered)
    2. release month

This would responsibly provide to users what they need to decide if they can or cannot wait.

Keith George

I have been using and holding onto Apple Aperture 3, which I am stating to have more problems with, as it is no longer supported. If I switch to a new DAM, I won't be looking back. I have been waiting in hopes Luminar now Skylum and years later would be releasing early 2018. We are now into mid year and nothing.... Are you really going to force me into something other. (Lightroom, PhotoSupreme, Mylio, Apple Photo etc... Every photographer knows there is going to be learning curves and glitches with new software! Lets get it released so people can use it and get the glitches worked out!! I think many people are in the same boat and are holding onto old software in hopes of whats been promised, but are getting tired of waiting.... Hear in lays the problem, once you lose a customer its very unlikely they will return and the longer you wait the more customers you are losing The more pictures people place into there current DAM the less likely they will transfer them over to a new one......... What will it be skylum???

Luis Mederos

@Bruce Bovill

First, your response was very clear and very civil.  Thank you.

Although we probably will end up agreeing to disagree, my point is that from the very beginning of this thread the issue is that those of who us *do* need the DAM are very disenchanted with the situation where a DAM was promised and not delivered yet.  When we purchased the current version of Luminar, that was a key selling point, and it is now almost 6 months later with no DAM.

Yes, Luminar can do a lot of nice things, but for those who need the DAM (at least in my case and I acknowledge I am speaking for myself), it is a fail.

Rex Matthews

About Luminar's promised DAM: still waiting... and waiting... and waiting....

Radim Horák

I regret the purchase of Luminar, which I bought last year only with the promise of DAM. So far I have not used the program and I will not even use the program if it is not released (I'm still using Lightroom with a plan that I'll go to Luminar after DAM). I bought at discount with the idea of saving, but unfortunately I just threw money.

Sascha C.

Don't believe it, but I currently about to go back to Lightroom. The workflow together with the Mobile App is amazing and LRCC is enough for 80% of the work which all can be done on my iPAD without limitations. For the other 20% I now choose between Lightroom CC classic or a combination with Photoshop Elements 2018 (PSE) (where I have a license too). Sure, LRCC is limited in export, but PSE can interpret the exported Original with XMP including lens corrections made in LRCC. From there I am able to export in any format and do further quality editing (in Affinity Photo for example). 

For me as Hobby Photographer this could be enough. Maybe the subscription with LR Classic is still an option... 

However, I gave up believing that Skylum is able to deliver a DAM that is changing the world. I am sure 2018 customers get a limited DAM functionality, maybe some Dropbox or other cloud integration, but nothing special. There will be no wow effect, sorry, but I don't believe in that. I waited so long, limited my Workflow, was fighting with LMNR files, losing compatibility between Luminar 2017 and 2018 and hoped that Skylum will keep its promises and deliver. 

For the moment, it's over baby, I have thousands of Photos not edited because I waited for a better option in Luminar to handle the files. I will not wait longer. Maybe we will see us again in future, but the probability for that isn't very high.

A good product for me was destroyed by bad marketing, bad project planning, bad communication and wrong promises.

I know about the disadvantages of LR subscription. Be sure about that. But I stopped to trust Skylum and Luminar. If you continue like in the past, I have no guarantee that Skylum and/or Luminar will be there for me with a working version in the future. 

Sascha

K.G. Wuensch

You current shenanigans make a very good case for the Lightroom Classic CC subscription. Luminar still hasn't got a DAM (one year on from your announcement), there isn't even a feature list, nor a simple demo video of how the DAM will work - who with a sane mind is going to wait for that to happen?

I was never going to leave the subscription anyway because of the integration of the cloud is more valuable to me than any other DAM feature, with the uploaded smart previews of my chosen collections I can use my iPad to browse, rate and even edit my images, I can do ad hoc presentations when I am meeting up with other photographers. When I want to I can do the same in any browser anywhere - and find my edits back in my main collection on my work desktop. That kind of utility is changing the photographers world, not yet another browser with some rating ability, for that there is Photo Mechanic which is a proven professional tool that does things in a way professionals need - Luminar isn't in the same league by a wide margin...

Also you are much too easily blaming the hardware on deficiencies of your software. If loading an image takes 15-30 seconds when trying to edit it - how long will it take to load it to display it? If it's a raw the time will not be substantially shorter. LR takes some time to create the smart previews (something alike isn't needed according to your blog post) but then it's blazingly fast compared to Luminar, Heck, even without the previews in place LR (or Darktable or Rawtherapee or DPP or CO1 - all on the same hardware) is 10-20 times faster than Luminar. And then there is the OpenGL debacle. No other image editor software relies as much on the graphics card - all other programs work and function without OpenGL in place, for all it's an option that makes certain operations faster but in no way it is mandatory!

So false promises (you should reread your announcements from July/August 2017), false premises (everyone runs high end graphics cards), false priorities (let's break with traditional DAM paradigms), badly implemented functionality (crop tool is totally unusable if you want to have fixed aspect ratio crops), lack of essential functionality (no color management on Windows), persisting bugs, lack of information about the supposedly in beta DAM functions - sorry, please have an emergency meeting and decide what Luminar is supposed to be. Stop the "we can grab a few quick bucks by pretending we can beat Adobe at their own game" marketing huff and puff - it's all vapor ware to date and the foundations are a string of pot holes ready to swallow the building...

Pascal Brönnimann

@Angela

Please do us all a favor and avoid the word "soon" in your comments in the future. No one will take you seriously anymore. But of course I understand, that developing a DAM with as few features as possible, takes a bunch of time. And another bunch. And another…

I'm sure Adobe is extremely relaxed.

Pascal Brönnimann

@Russel

I have no use at all for all that new “great ambassadors”. I wish Skylum would hire great developers, then maybe there would finally be more updates with urgently bug-fixes and MAYBE even one day the long-awaited DAM.

Moritz Wellner

I'm back to Lightroom all together. Haven't touched Luminar for some time.

I bought the 2017 and was thrilled about the free DAM update coming soon. Then I took the plunge and brought 2018 again in the hopes of getting that soon to be released DAM. And now, 2/3reds of 2018 later, I'm thinking about paying Adobe and withdrawing my positiv blog entries about Luminar and the support at the beginning.

Sad.

I won't be recommending Luminar anymore and will tell all the friends I encouraged to get your product to think about leaving Luminar behind.

Ken Korman

One day left in August to disclose DAM features and announce release date as promised by Skylum. If the DAM is in beta, why can't they at least release more info? A this stage of development, all features and functionality should be locked.

Jason Mills

@david  was in much the same boat, and have done exactly what you are planning.  The DAM in ACDsee works really well for me, also an enthusiastic amateur.  When I first purchased it I found my self jumping out to Luminar to do easier post processing but find now that I am much more comfortable with driving ACDsee I do pretty much all of it in ACDsee.  I do sometime use the presets in luminar if I am after a really quick edit. I haven't taken the time to set them up myself in ACDsee. 

I still use Aurora for any bracketing shots I take as well but still manage them all through ACDsee.

ramesh ramchand

I can understand delays in shipping a quality product. However, since the product is now in internal Beta, can someone shed some light on the features it is likely to ship with? 

Frankly if it ships very close to Luminar 2019 being released and I have to pay for that upgrade for bug fixes, I would rather look into a competitor product like ON1.

Russell Webb

40 seconds of loud music and not a lot else, complete fob off from Skylum!!!

Sascha C.

After watching that video I am sure that we will get a DAM with absolutely minimum features that is totally behind ON1 or LR CC. There is absolutely nothing special. Where are the "reinvented" things you are always talking about?

Chris Malikoff

I (and I suspect we) am tired of waiting to see what your proposed import, sorting, metadata tagging, labelling, and other DAM-specific routines look like, and you show us a silly video of a basic image browser. Are you serious? Is this really all you could muster? I think, no... I know that your users are looking for way more than this in this thread. You continually insult us with a complete lack of detail and information. I'm over it - I want to support a company that supports my needs, not a company that promises more than it can achieve and hides its lack of progress with fluff and the assumption that we're all stupid.

I've deleted Luminar permanently from five devices and have installed On1. I'm very happy and I think that it is superior in nearly every way and it frankly costs no more than Luminar. I'll be telling everyone I work with and know of who needs decently-supported and capable image manipulation software and is looking to get away from Adobe's subscription model.

Larry Koch

It is a DAM hoax - baiting us all in with promises and no plans to truly deliver.

Pascal Brönnimann

For no pro and no serious amateur, the mysterious DAM + Luminar will ever be an alternative to Lightroom or OnOne as long as Luminar remains in its native format for RAWs. Nobody will risk thousands of raw photos and since the damn DAM should have as few features as possible, I don't think there will be a way to extract the original file from the Lmnr-files with one single click.

Furthermore, I don't think we will see the DAM this year and I'm tired of hearing these words again and again: “Coming soon…”.

Also this line is a pain in my neck: “ We are aware of that issue… and our developers are working on it right at the moment…”

I've been waiting for a simple thumbnail (lmnr-files) since the first version and to this day this “feature” (they call it “feature”!!) doesn't exist on my system (mac os 10.13.6)!!

That's pathetic!

Please sign in to leave a comment.