DAM

Answered

Comments

263 comments

Pascal Brönnimann

@Maryna and other spin doctors: Oh really? Do you? Until today there is not even a thumbnail for lmnr.-files in mac os! That's just pathetic. Or am I perhaps the only user who demands this? I really can't take this blather of Skylum seriously anymore.

Comment actions Permalink
    Rodney Brown

I'm looking forward to 3.0, but if the "ugly" in this review turns out to be true then it's still unusable - I just don't have the space to waste on previews that are larger than the originals, and the speed sounds abysmal (hopefully that's just a debug thing that won't be in the final version).

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/06/review-luminar-3-with-libraries-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/ 

Maryna Skylum

Regarding the Luminar project files (.lmnr), they contain not only an image, but all the history of editing and changes, which cannot be previewed.

Angela Andrieux

@Sascha - Just a quick followup to your question. Luminar 3 will not work with protocols such as FTP/WebDav. It will only work with folders on a drive.

Brian Ramage

Do you know if there is at least a thought to add Video files access to the Libraries?

Like, when I import images and video from either my iPhone or DSLR, I'd LOVE to be able to see that all at once. EVEN if you can not make any adjustments, but so it is viewable within the library/Luminar.

I'm pretty sure Apple Photos and Aperture have been able to import/store/View (and trim the clip but no other adjustments) to Video.

Thanks in advance

K.G. Wuensch

@Maryna, that's why normally such files do contain a prepared preview image of the current state. And what about the upcoming libraries.

The space for prerendered previews is limited, so what are you going to show in the libraries module for highly edited images where 10's or 100's of edits were applied using Luminar? How long is the user going to have to wait for the preview to show the correct image? Hours? Days? Or aren't the users going to get to see the final image once the preview has been removed from the preview cache due to size constraints? You really are up a creek without a paddle on this DAM business it seems...

Peter Holka

I hope below points are not true otherwise we will get the full hard drive in a very short time and "DAM", as Skylum call it, will be useless. IMO it is not DAM it is the file browser which can store edits. 

some very UGLY point from https://petapixel.com/2018/12/06/review-luminar-3-with-libraries-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/  ::

3. The caching of these files needs some serious enhancements! Luminar stores these preview caches on a Mac in the following folder: User/Library/Application Support/com.macphun.luminar3. And with each file you look at in the super large view, a cached version is created in that folder that is roughly some 15-20% bigger than your original file! So I have a 43MB RAW file and when I preview it in the Library, I lose 51.7MB of hard drive space on my computer!

You can adjust the cache size in Luminar’s preferences, fortunately. It does default to 10GB. And with 10GB, that means I can only store 196 files from my Sony camera in the cache at the default. When you reach your set cache limit, the oldest previews generated in cache are eliminated to keep the cache size at the set size. 196 photos isn’t even close to a day’s shoot so most people are going to have to increase that cache size in the preferences. There is also no way to change this default cache location to another location, say an external hard drive. Laptop users with limited hard drive space are going to be challenged.

4. The default location of your catalog is in your Pictures folder. A good thing about the catalog files is that they can be stored on an external hard drive. Another good thing about it is its initial size. After adding 65,500 photos my catalog size was only 19.4MB to start out with (remember that thumbnails/previews are stored elsewhere).

The catalog stores all of your ratings and edits and I have noticed an issue here. There is a History folder that is made up of .state files. Each and every time you make a slider adjustment, a new .state file is created. Each averages about 200kb in size. That’s not a huge file for sure, but again – each and every time you make a slider adjustment a new file is created. Some files you work on might have dozens if not hundreds of slider adjustments made to it.

What’s more, if you go back to the original version of your file via the history and start fresh, those old history states disappear from your photo but those original history .state files end up remaining and don’t get deleted. These history states are what provides Luminar with the ability for non-destructive adjustments. But I can definitely see this starting to take up some significant hard drive space to save all of this. Again it is good we can move this to an external drive with more space.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Brian,

With the initial launch, Luminar 3 will not work with videos. 

Check our plans here:

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Brian Ramage

Hi Maryna, 

Yes, I have been to that link and seen it here many times. I was more curious if this idea of Videos has been a HARD NO or if that topic is still on the table...understanding a date may not be known but that possibly this is still a thought.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Brian,

I don't think anything is really "off the table" or a "hard no". Video handling, at least for organization purposes is a possibility in the future, but as far as I know there are no immediate plans.

Marek Zgorzelski

Is this the first beta version?

Colin Grant

No it's the first released version.

K.G. Wuensch

@Marek, it's a late alpha at best, and I am not so sure about the "late" part in that...

Peter Holka

Even worse. Luminar is less stable than before. It is permanently crashing during start, it starts usually on 3rd or 4th attempt. When I added folders to catalog it was hanging and then crashed. Finally, on the 4th attempt, it imported about 1000 photos to catalog which took about 5 minutes. It showed me all folders in catalog BUT some of them were empty while there are photos on the hard drive. YES photos are supported, all imported photos are from the same camera. And it is not DAM it is  just browser.

Colin Grant

Have had only one crash and it has launched flawlessly every time (bet I have spoken too soon). Why did you think it was going to be a fully fledged dam? They made it clear that it would be lacking key features at the time they said it would be a free upgrade to 2018 users. Changing the name to Library was also an indication, although it hardly qualifies as that either.

Moritz Wellner

The import of my 18500 Raws went smooth and well but since then, Luminar bugs down more and more. My old Lightroom 5 flys through my images without smart previews like a champ but luminar is even slower than before the browser was added.

The lack of keywording, smart Folders, serious import and export dialogues and support for my old Nikon D1x has killed the browser for me. I will stay with Lightroom or go to Xposure, C1 or Lightroom CC and use Luminar as plugins at most.

Sorry Skylum, this browser would have been nice if delivered with Luminar one or at least with the second edition when promised but not after two years of promises and developement were it has been called a DAM for Marketing reasons as it seems...

Luis Mederos

Does anyone know *where* does Luminar create the catalog?

I imported all my photos, and I can see them whenever Luminar opens, but there are no files in my Appdata folders nor in the folder where I told Luminar to create my catalog.   Or does it just point to where my photos are without creating a catalog?    I am very confused.

Thanks

Moritz Wellner

Hi Luis!

On my Mac, there is a catalogue folder of tiny size (11MB) in the pictures folder in my user account.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

MoWe

Luis Mederos

@Moritz

thanks for the reply; I'm on a PC.  Will take a look there.  

Moritz Wellner

On a PC, I would image that Luminar puts its catalogue into the standard pictures folder as well.

Jeffrey Hirschl

Installed Luminar 3 and just wanted to see the landing page to look around. I was greeted by a "welcome wizard", and I could find no immediately-apparent way to dismiss this. So I went through it. It ended with Luminar 3 starting to load pictures into its library from an area that I did not want it to load from. Whenever I launch Luminar 3 again, it keeps loading, slowly BTW on a very-performant PC.

I would have appreciated the welcome wizard presenting a summary page at the end stating what it intended to load and from where, providing me the opportunity to say "no, don't do that". Now I have to turn to manuals and/or tutorials to find out how to stop the loading and remove the photos already loaded from the library, without accidentally permanently deleting them from my disk. I expect a beginner's photo editor to "help" the user in this way; I expect a professional tool to do things when I'm ready to do them.

When I'm ready I will load over 30,000 images, but I want to do it when I'm ready. Please fix this "welcome wizard" in the fix release in two weeks that has been promised.

Rodney Brown

Be careful editing those 30k images.  Every single adjustment to every image creates a new 50k FILE in the catalogue under cache documents, rather than having a single sidecar file for each edited image.  That's going to be hundreds of thousands of separate files for a decent sized library with edits after a few years - and that will definitely grind the system to a halt!!

Matt Broadbent

Hi,some feedback on libraries. Edited images flash red for a couple of seconds. Slows and then crashes if you quickly skip through the library ( NEF files). Still a bit buggy. Thanks Matt

Please sign in to leave a comment.