DAM

Answered

Comments

264 comments

Denis Kotsee

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to but you'll be able to create virtual folders inside Luminar 3.

Comment actions Permalink
    Denis Kotsee

@Colin Grant probably yes. All edits will be stored in Luminar's database.

Sascha C.

Ok, a few questions here

1. Is it possible to migrate changes in lmnr Files to the database?

2. Is the Catalogue referenced based or get the picture stored into a database or internal data structure too?

3. Is the promised support of cloud storage providers delivered? And yes, which?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Sascha,

1. I'll check on this one - I'm not sure

2. The Catalog mirrors the folder/file structure on your computer/drive

3. You'll be able to use cloud storage that mirrors on your computer such as Dropbox, etc.

Colin Grant

Angela, does the cloud thing mean Luminar accesses the synced stuff on the computer rather than accessing Dropbox etc direct? Also, is there a search function within the Library? I cannot see that dated folder structure being enough on its own.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

I'll have to double check with our developers on your first question.

The initial release won't have a search function, but we'll likely add it in the future. What parameters would be most helpful for you to search?

Colin Grant

Not having search renders the library not fit to be called even that. How are users expected to be able to find stuff taken a while ago? You cannot surely expect them to remember the date. What if they want to find a group of similar photos taken over several months/years? As for the functionality of the search, there are plenty of examples out there in  Apple Photos, LR, Apple Spotlight and the like. Search/smart folders should also be brought into the mix.

Denis Kotsee

There will be smart folders in the initial release of Luminar 3, we'll also expand the organization functionality over time.

Colin Grant

So there is search? What parameters will be available via those smart folders, Denis? Maybe there is not an issue after all! Thanks.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

Getting back to you on the question of "does the cloud thing mean Luminar accesses the synced stuff on the computer rather than accessing Dropbox etc direct?"

Luminar 3 will only read what's locally synced to your computer.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

The smart folders available upon release will be by date, favorites, recently edited, and recently added. This will be expanded to include other aspects over time.

Luis Mederos

@Angela

Given that the release is due this month, where can we find the list of the available features for it?  Surely it is available by now !!

Thanks

Luis

Colin Grant

So no search, no smart folders - they are just predetermined hard coded filters really. There is no real user selectable functionality at all. Personally I would not even call this a library - having access to Mac finder would provide much more useful functionality. Thank heavens it is a free update! Anyway its Christmas so I must stay cool. Thanks for explaining though Angela. It is appreciated.

Denis Kotsee

@Luis Mederos what features would you like to know more about? I'd be glad to tell you about everything.

@Colin Grant you'll also be able to create albums in which you can group photos from multiple folders. These albums are meant to help users organize their photos by custom criteria, such as, for example, subject, style, etc.

Brian Ramage

@Luis...

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

So, with the update in 1.5 weeks you can see SOME EXIF info. You can use Presets...or the renamed LOOKS. You can also see images as you would in a OS window INSIDE Luminar. You can sync edits to another image.

Imagine taking most of the capabilities of your Mac Finder Window or PC Folder Window viewers. then being able to make edits like a basic photo editor. then throw in some "AI" features. 

what was promised as a DAM is just a image viewer "Libraries" 

Denis Kotsee

@Brian Ramage what would you like to see in Luminar 3 that's not going to be included into the initial release? We'll add IPTC data editing in the next update for Luminar, as mentioned on our roadmap page but is there anything else you think we should include? What features do you think you would benefit the most from?

Colin Grant

@Colin Grant you'll also be able to create albums in which you can group photos from multiple folders. These albums are meant to help users organize their photos by custom criteria, such as, for example, subject, style, etc.

Thank you, Denis. Albums might be helpful. Could you explain what criterial is available to make an album? By that I mean can the creation of an album be automatic on the back of the user entering some base criteria in to the album creation mechanism or is it a purely manual process?

Sascha C.

How does the DAM work with external storages? I will not have all of my images stored on my MAC and use an external SSD drive. What happens if I start Luminar without plugged it it in? Will I see still previews of my images? 

Can I access Network Drives (like over SMB) or from other Protocols like FTP / WebDav?

Thank you

Sascha

Brian Ramage

@Denis

I guess my problem is I am currently using Aperture for a DAM/Editor. When Apple announced Photos as the iPhoto & Aperture replacement, it was underwhelming. They might have added features to iPhoto but lost many from Aperture.

Luminar 3 feels like Photos+ or something along those lines. For a photographer just starting out, this may work just fine. and with all the AI, maybe that is the intended audience. I think my major concern is Keywording (coming soon) and organizing OTHER than date. I keyword and assign folder names on import. This way I can either look at folders or just type a search for photos between X dates/RAW/a certain person/3-5 stars. This way I can easily export. Or, perhaps I want to send someone a Milkway Shot, I can easily search, find, and send it...whereas trying to remember the date...wont be as easy. OR it could be I want to see all my Flower photos. and I try and tag on import to make keyboards that much stronger. I suppose all other things are on a decent level. 

I am thankful you have STARS & FAVORITES. with just favorites, it is hard to really organize and decide what to edit. 

BTW, you have some great Affiliates/Influencers. They are really pumping up "standard Folder browsing" the idea of wow...looks, i can easily find something from a certain date. I feel almost any DAM can easily do that. One guy had a test library with 5-10 shots for each year, and talking about hey, I went here this year and there that year. without keywords, it would be hard for me to know what is what, ESPECIALLY over many years and many shots taken. (YES, I take way too many photos). 

**As for future enhancements, perhaps a way to add facial recognition to AI-tag people. Another may be to AI-pick the best of similar photos...maybe AI recognizes 'these 12 photos are all about the same...we chose this to be the best as it was most in focus/had all eyes open/etc" It would be great if there was some AI way to see an original RAW and an Edited JPG of that RAW file and auto-magically create an edited RAW within Luminar based on the output of the JPG.

I'll keep trying to watch the Luminar 3 Reviews on YouTube/reading blog reviews. The Videos posted on Skylum about L3 are more Hype Videos without much in the way of providing much detail.

Keith George

I can tell you what would be nice 2 things. 1) a print model 2) something easier under the colour tags, allow editing of the name eg: red ability to change the name red to something else- landscapes, nature, street etc. So one know what the colour code represents

Angela Andrieux

@Colin - Albums are created manually at this time. 

@Sascha - Luminar's Library will work with external drives, but will only be able to preview images when those drives are connected. I know that NAS drives are supported, but I'm not sure about other protocols like FTP/WebDav. I'll check with our tech department on that.

@Brian - I'll pass your suggestions for future enhancements to our developers. Thank you!

@Keith - Great suggestion on naming the color labels. I'll pass this suggestion to our developers. Thanks!

Colin Grant

Thanks Angela. To be honest the Library is if no use whatsoever to those who have invested time in the likes of Lr or Aperture. It is nowhere near ready for that sort of prime time. Do we have to use those fixed folders or can we just browse the folders on our PC via the Luminar interface. Using the Mac file manager would be my preference, although I see no reason not to just keep Luminar as a plugin to Lr.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

You can add the existing folders on your Mac or PC and browse them at their current location. Luminar doesn't move them. The Dated "folders" are smart folders/shortcuts that read the timestamp of the image - they don't actually relocate your images.

You'll also be able to continue using Luminar as a plugin with Lightroom if that is your preference.

ramesh ramchand

I’m amazed that Skylum has been promoting a DAM for almost two years, and now with a barely a week to launch, we are still not clear as to its feature specifications. The company needs to be more specific on release plans and not just promote vaporware.

Pascal Brönnimann

Looks like Luminar will keep its promise to omit everything "superfluous" and deliver a DAM with as few features as possible. And of course we won't get these few features right away, but in "future updates". Can you tell us when can we expect to have all the not "superfluous" features? In a year? In two years? And how long will there be free updates for Luminar 2018, before you force us to pay for Luminar 3 or 4 to get all the few features? The fact that you obviously can't even browse through previews without needing the originals, as in Lightroom, is the first big disappointment. More will surely follow.

Matt Broadbent

Hi I have a new question. I use and love noiseless ck which does an awsome job on raw files. What is the best way to use this in conjunction with libraries

Thanks matt

Leila Evans

@Pascal - You can check out our roadmap here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

All Luminar 2018 users will get updates till late 2019 without any additional cost.

@Matt - Please note, as Noiseless CK is our legacy app, Luminar 3 won't include its plugin support. The good news is that Luminar 3 (as well as Luminar 2018) has all the functionality of our Creative Kit (CK) apps. You can achieve the results Noiseless CK app gives with the help of Denoise filter. Please, check out this video: https://youtu.be/0Kqxmy6MjHw 

Matt Broadbent

Thanks Leila. Sorry I’m not quite with you. Are you saying luminar will give me the same results as noiseless ck will? . Because I haven’t found this to be the case. And the you tube link doesn’t work. Thankyou for your promo reply. Matt.

K.G. Wuensch

@Leila, sorry but have you even tried and compred the results? Noiseless CK and the noise reduction in Luminar 2017 are in a different league compared to the crude, ineffective and overall clunky noise reduction filter in Luminar 2018! 

Maryna Skylum

Hi,

We're constantly improving our software. And all the improvements are based on our customers' feedback. I will forward your feedback to our technical department for their consideration.

Please sign in to leave a comment.